jb4x

Get smart TV feed

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:09 pm

Hi guys,

To quickly describe the context, I have a smart TV connected to the internet via ethernet cable. I mostly use app to watch movies (Netflix, Youtube, Molotov TV...) so no HDMI or USB cables used to read from outside sources.

I would like to create an Ambilight solution but my problem is that I don't know how to get the content displayed by the TV. Do you know if I can do that and if so get me on the track ?

Thanks in advance.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Get smart TV feed

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:03 am

jb4x wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:09 pm
Hi guys,

To quickly describe the context, I have a smart TV connected to the internet via ethernet cable. I mostly use app to watch movies (Netflix, Youtube, Molotov TV...) so no HDMI or USB cables used to read from outside sources.

I would like to create an Ambilight solution but my problem is that I don't know how to get the content displayed by the TV. Do you know if I can do that and if so get me on the track ?

Thanks in advance.

https://www.electromaker.io/tutorial/bl ... spberry-pi
Adieu

ghans

Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:31 am

No smart TV i know of has video output. I believe your project is impossible. Raspberry Ambilight clones only work with external video sources.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

Paul Webster

Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:19 am

Does the TV have output available to a video recorder?
If yes ... does it allow the "smart" content to be recorded?

Alternative approach ... are the video sources that you want available via a Kodi add-on?
If yes - then you could use Kodi on RPi to provide your "smart" viewing and then run Hyperion (or similar) on the RPi to drive lights.
For regular broadcast over the air TV you would not get the flashing lights though without additional hardware to take the video signal and push it into RPi (probably via USB video input).

jb4x

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:49 pm

Thanks everyone,

@fruitoftheloom : The problem with that solution is that I have to run something like OpenElec on the RPi and use my TV as a screen for the RPi, but I would like to keep the functionalities of my TV and not use it as a simple computer screen.

@Paul Webster :
Paul Webster wrote: Does the TV have output available to a video recorder?
If yes ... does it allow the "smart" content to be recorded?
Sadly, there is no output at all...
Paul Webster wrote: Alternative approach ... are the video sources that you want available via a Kodi add-on?
If yes - then you could use Kodi on RPi to provide your "smart" viewing and then run Hyperion (or similar) on the RPi to drive lights.
For regular broadcast over the air TV you would not get the flashing lights though without additional hardware to take the video signal and push it into RPi (probably via USB video input).
I did not know Kodi but this is the same problem than with the answer of fruitoftheloom. Well, it's not really a problem but if I could avoid to do that I would prefer.

I got another interested lead on another forum : code a small WebOS app to send some frames to an RPi. Not sure if achievable though but I'll let you know.

Return to “Other projects”