chillywillycd

Raspberry Pi Desktop on a 64-bit VirtualBox VM

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:10 am

Hello,
i've been struggling a bit with running Raspberry Pi Desktop (RPD) via VirtualBox because i've been unable to copy and paste between my host (Win7 64-bit) and guest (RPD). Today with having finally updated my VirtualBox Guest Additions to match my version of VirtualBox i was hoping to see the situation improve. it did not. (yes, i have my guest configured with bidirectional clipboard sharing)

instead i did some investigation, and found that on a clipboard sharing works VM, i found that it has a handful of processes running VBoxClient, and from this tip https://askubuntu.com/a/751582 i tried executing VBoxClient --clipboard on my RPD VM and it reports

Code: Select all

error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory.
searching my machine i found libX11.so.6 installed, but under a directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu so by providing an explicit reference to that path via LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ VBoxClient --clipboard (explicitly providing a path to the needed library via a oneoff environment variable setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH) I got a different error

error while loading shared libraries: libX11.so.6: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32
so, this tipped me off, that it looks like i'm running a 64bit kernel,

uname -m
x86_64
but with a command apt list --installed | grep amd64, the kernel appears to be the only 64bit item on my VM all other packages appear to be 32 bit.

after some experimentation, what i found was that if you install RPD on a VM that was initialized as Linux/Debian (64-bit) Image that you get the kernel from 64-bit (amd64) land, but everything else comes from 32-bit (i386) land.

i was able to convert my pre-existing VM (since i had content i didn't want to migrate to a new install), to using a 32-bit kernal and successfully get my clipboard sharing working. if anyone is interested in my process let me know.

Z80 Refugee

Re: Raspberry Pi Desktop on a 64-bit VirtualBox VM

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:07 am

I don't get what you are doing here. Are you saying you are running the Raspberry Pi binaries (which are compiled for an ARM processor core) in a virtual machine running on i86 hardware??
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

DirkS

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:18 am

Z80 Refugee wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:07 am
I don't get what you are doing here. Are you saying you are running the Raspberry Pi binaries (which are compiled for an ARM processor core) in a virtual machine running on i86 hardware??
No (s)he does not...
This is about https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/

Z80 Refugee

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:26 am

OK, compiled for i86 then. Thanks for info.
Military and Automotive Electronics Design Engineer (retired)

For the best service: make your thread title properly descriptive, and put all relevant details in the first post (including links - don't make us search)!

smithl100

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:59 am

Thank you ChillyWilly!!!! You saved me after hours of torture. I created an account just to say Thanks!

Copy/paste did not work with Raspian Stretch guest and VirtualBox 6 if you set it up as a Linux Debian 64bit. It worked perfectly when set up as Linux Debian 32 bit (after installing normal Guest Additions etc.)

Someone with VirtualBox should fix this very frustrating glitch.

WilliamMcC

Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:28 pm

Hello People, I have been struggling to get this project off the ground since 24/12/18. It is now 27/12/17 and I hope I have stumbled upon an answer. Perhaps it is DO NOT USE 64 Bit Use 32 Bit, I really hope so.
I have successfully (up to a point) got Raspberry Pi working inside the VirtualBox on my laptop but I am not able to alter the size of the Raspberry Pi screen.

I have watched many videos over the last few days downloaded and deleted VirtualBox many times. Is it as simple as this?

Any help will be very much appreciated as this is my very first venture into the world of Raspberry Pi and VirtualBox and also my first shout for help from a Forum.

Regards and thanks for any hints and tips.

WilliamMcC

fruitoftheloom

Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:34 pm

WilliamMcC wrote:
Hello People, I have been struggling to get this project off the ground since 24/12/18. It is now 27/12/17 and I hope I have stumbled upon an answer. Perhaps it is DO NOT USE 64 Bit Use 32 Bit, I really hope so.
I have successfully (up to a point) got Raspberry Pi working inside the VirtualBox on my laptop but I am not able to alter the size of the Raspberry Pi screen.

I have watched many videos over the last few days downloaded and deleted VirtualBox many times. Is it as simple as this?

Any help will be very much appreciated as this is my very first venture into the world of Raspberry Pi and VirtualBox and also my first shout for help from a Forum.

WilliamMcC

Debian Stretch x86 with Raspberry Pi Desktop is 32bit Userland with an appropriate kernel relating to machine architecture either x86-32 or x86-64.

In VirtualBox you set up for Linux x86-32 32bit.

VirtualBox need Guest Additions installed to be able to be fully functioning, all covered in their fine manual:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/UserManual.html
Retired disgracefully.....
......to a more gentile life !

Paul Hutch

Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:33 pm

WilliamMcC wrote:

WilliamMcC

Here's my notes from getting the VirtualBox Guest Additions version 5.2.22 installed in 2018-11-13-RPD-x86-stretch.

1. Install module-assistant via Add/Remove Software
  2. Reboot
  3. From the VirtualBox menus choose "Devices -> Insert Guest Additionds CD image..."
  4. Verify where the ISO is mounted (in my case /media/cdrom0)
  5. In a terminal enter:

sudo sh /media/cdrom0/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
  6. After the build completes reboot

WilliamMcC

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:06 pm

Thanks for your rapid response and please accept my apologies for my tardy reply. This is a whole new experience for me and I am still struggling to find my way through this maze. I do not know if this is the correct space to be typing in. Regards William McC

Return to “Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC and Mac”