timrowledge

Does the Pi's CE certification include UL94/ISO9772/3 etc?

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 pm

I *think* from what I've been able to find that CE certification includes UL94 (catching fire related stuff) under ISO 9772/3. Does anyone know for sure either way?
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

fruitoftheloom

Re: Does the Pi's CE certification include UL94/ISO9772/3 etc?

Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:45 am

timrowledge wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:46 pm
I *think* from what I've been able to find that CE certification includes UL94 (catching fire related stuff) under ISO 9772/3. Does anyone know for sure either way?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... formity.md
Retired disgracefully.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 am

The base PCB itself is UL94, but we have not tested the entire product, and are unlikely to do so in the near future.

Soz.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

timrowledge

Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:56 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 am
The base PCB itself is UL94, but we have not tested the entire product, and are unlikely to do so in the near future.
I can't imagine how much cost and hassle all this testing involves. So many things to be tested for!

I was hoping that getting CE certified would actually cover all of it in one neat label, making things much simpler - which was always supposed to be the advantage of the big testing authorities.

mosespi

Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:20 pm

Almost every common modern FR4 PC board I can remember has had some sort of UL94 rating (there are levels). And doesn't UL94 apply to plastic parts only? I'm not an expert in this subject, but I believe it is targeted at plastic parts used on products. I don't know if it would apply to the completed product, unless it was enclosed in plastic maybe? The term I used to hear was non-self sustaining fire or self extinguishing fire.

There are a few components that have plastic parts on a full size Pi.. the GPIO connector, HDMI, USB and microUSB, ethernet, camera and display connectors. I would expect all of these components to be made of some level of UL94 material. Although anything is possible and some might not be UL94 rated per se.. but I would guess that it would be difficult to find these parts made with flammable plastics, especially from a known vendor as the RPF would use. I can't see much else on a Pi board that would sustain any sort of fire.

Regards,
-Moses
Power problems? MoPower UPS for the Pi
http://www.allspectrum.com/mopower/

timrowledge

Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:43 pm

I'm no expert on this either. I was hoping that someone that is might be able to point to a part of the relevant CE standard that gives a clear indication of whether or not the UL94 related stuff is included. Since the Pi has a CE, that would make a nice simple explanation for those customers that keep asking me about standards compliance. It's simply a fact that for a lot of potential customers for quite large numbers of Pi there is a bureaucratic roadblock in the way that just sits there a big STOP sign saying "no XXXX compliance, no sale". It may make no sense in realistic terms but when it comes to corporations with solidified purchasing protocol you comply or you don't sell.

Return to “General discussion”