rbscebu

4G USB Modem to Pi 3B+ to DD-WRT WiFi Router

Sun May 27, 2018 7:46 am

I want to use my Huawei E3272 USB 4G modem to connect a DD-WRT WiFi router to the internet via a Pi3B+. First question is can it be done?

Initially, I had a 3G USB modem connected to a TP-Link MR3020 3G router that was connected via an Ethernet cable to the internet port on my DD-WRT WiFi router. This gave access to the internet for anything that was WiFi (or Ethernet) connected to the DD-WRT router. I now effectively want to replace the TP-Link 3G router with a Pi3B+.

With the 4G modem connected to the Pi3B+ I get a good 4G internet connection on the Pi3B+. I then used an Ethernet cable to connect the Pi3B+ to the internet port on my router. Unfortunately, there is now no internet connection when WiFi connected to the DD-WRT router.

Does the Pi3B+ automatically allow sharing its internet connection through its Ethernet port?
RPi4B 4GB with Raspian Buster
RPi3B+ with Raspian Buster
RPi0W with Raspian Buster

fruitoftheloom

Re: 4G USB Modem to Pi 3B+ to DD-WRT WiFi Router

Sun May 27, 2018 11:02 am

rbscebu wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 7:46 am
I want to use my Huawei E3272 USB 4G modem to connect a DD-WRT WiFi router to the internet via a Pi3B+. First question is can it be done?

Initially, I had a 3G USB modem connected to a TP-Link MR3020 3G router that was connected via an Ethernet cable to the internet port on my DD-WRT WiFi router. This gave access to the internet for anything that was WiFi (or Ethernet) connected to the DD-WRT router. I now effectively want to replace the TP-Link 3G router with a Pi3B+.

With the 4G modem connected to the Pi3B+ I get a good 4G internet connection on the Pi3B+. I then used an Ethernet cable to connect the Pi3B+ to the internet port on my router. Unfortunately, there is now no internet connection when WiFi connected to the DD-WRT router.

Does the Pi3B+ automatically allow sharing its internet connection through its Ethernet port?

You have to setup connection sharing, by default the Ethernet is a DHCP Client in Raspbian Stretch.

Code: Select all

sudo apt bridge-utils

viewtopic.php?t=195632#p1224105
Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

rbscebu

Sun May 27, 2018 11:29 am

Thank you fruitoftheloom. It's getting late here in the Philippines so into it tomorrow.

rbscebu

Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:51 am

Rather than use a good Pi3B+ for this project, I have decided to use a Pi0w with a USB 2.0 Ethernet adaptor. Details of the Ethernet adaptor I am using can be found in this topic.

Return to “Troubleshooting”