jardino

Parallel Processing in Wolfram and Mathematica

Tue May 22, 2018 11:16 am

Parallel Processing has been available in Wolfram and Mathematica since Release 7.

Recently I have happily been experimenting (well, messing about) with Parallel processing on an RPI with a silghtly old version of Raspian (I forget which).

Using the $ProcessorCount command I get the expected result of four:

Code: Select all

Wolfram Language 11.0.1 Engine for Linux ARM (32-bit)
Copyright 1988-2017 Wolfram Research, Inc.

In[1]:= $ProcessorCount                                                         

Out[1]= 4
However, after I started to use a 3B+ with the latest (April 2018) version of Raspian Stretch, I was surprised and disappointed to find that Wolfram can only find one processor:

Code: Select all

Wolfram Language 11.2.0 Engine for Linux ARM (32-bit)
Copyright 1988-2018 Wolfram Research, Inc.

In[1]:= $ProcessorCount                                                         

Out[1]= 1
My 3B+ runs as expected on my old version of Raspian, so the problem is not in the hardware.

Note that old Raspian has Wolfram version 11.0.1 whereas the latest version has version 11.2.0.

So has Wolfram removed parallel processing functionality from later versions of the product?

Alan.
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

jardino

Re: Parallel Processing in Wolfram and Mathematica

Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:38 pm

Sorted, I think.

After installing Stretch on a new RPi 3B I did the usual "apt-get update".
I noticed that the on-screen log devoted a lot of time to upgrading Wolfram.
And so, afterwards, I found that I now have 4 processors!

Now back to my ventures in parallel processing in Wolfram...

Alan.
IT Background: Honeywell H2000 ... CA Naked Mini ... Sinclair QL ... WinTel ... Linux ... Raspberry Pi.

Return to “Wolfram Language”