cpeppler

Tethering iPhone 6S over USB won't show up as eth1

Wed May 16, 2018 6:00 pm

I have been following guides about tethering an iPhone6S to RasPi 3B+, following this guide:

https://daveconroy.com/how-to/how-to-te ... -iphone-5/

I get to the second ifconfig -s, and eth1 does not show up.

The Raspi is able to connect over the USB, because the iPhone asks permission to allow the RasPi to access it's pix, etc (and I say
yes), and the Raspi will even try to access pix on the device.

However, it will not acknowledge the hotspot enabled on the iPhone.

I tested the iPhone hotspot on a Windows 10 box, and it works fine.

How do I get the Raspi to recognize the ethernet connection provided by the USB tethered iPhone?

Thanks so much in advance for any direction about where to look.

epoch1970

Re: Tethering iPhone 6S over USB won't show up as eth1

Thu May 17, 2018 11:44 am

This guide is 5 (five) years old...
Have you installed usbmuxd? Last time I tried that's about all that was necessary to get an interface.
After that you have to start DHCP on the interface, IIRC.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

cpeppler

Thu May 17, 2018 1:57 pm

epoch1970 wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:44 am
This guide is 5 (five) years old...
Have you installed usbmuxd? Last time I tried that's about all that was necessary to get an interface.
After that you have to start DHCP on the interface, IIRC.
Thank you! This is the first time I've heard of usbmuxd. Did an install, plugged in the phone, and there eth1 is.
I can work from here, thank you for that critical piece I was missing.

BTW, if you know of an up to date guide (for recent stretch release), I would be glad to update my setup procedure to match.
I think the proper approach more recently is to update /etc/dhcpcd.conf

epoch1970

Fri May 18, 2018 10:54 am

In fact, no I don't know where there is a good RPF doc for that. If you browse around the forums and/or use "man dhcpcd.conf" you should be able to find what you need.
I *think* dhcpcd and his buddy systemd should see the eth1 interface appear and then automatically launch dhcp and ipv4ll (169.254.x.x, the .local domain) to obtain IP addresses.
I don't use dhcpcd much, and usbmuxd even less, so I'm not certain.

One trick you might find useful. When looking at a tech blog post, try to find or infer its publication date. If it is old or not dated at all, scroll down to the comment section. The first post will tell you how old the post is, and near the bottom there is usually a good soul that commented to say the doc is now out of date and the new method is this or that.
If you look at the page you linked, you can see that happened. Someone mentions usbmuxd.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

Return to “Raspbian”