FaisalG

A portable maker space for home

Wed May 16, 2018 8:04 am

Hi everyone,

Being a mechanical engineer (and bit of nerd) I love playing around with my Raspberry Pi at home and when I'm lucky at work too. Living in a small flat in Edinburgh however meant that space was always limited so it was challenging at the best of times to keep the peace at home with my partner. Things then got a lot trickier this year with the birth of our daughter which led to me packing and boxing all my stuff to make way for the new family member. I decided to tackle this problem - how can I keep working on my projects at home in the most space efficient manner?

So I designed a table top workbench made from an aluminium chassis with slotted profiles and laser cut acrylic sheet to encase the 'pod'. I installed power and made some of the sheets couple to the frame using magnets. I made sure when the pod packs away, it will fit inside our IKEA bookshelf.

It's turned out to be a good solution for me personally as I can now keep working n my projects at home. If you want to see more details, check out my website -

www.inventapod.com

If you have any comments, suggestions, or general feedback on the design, I would love to hear from you!

Cheers,

Faisal

scotty101

Re: A portable maker space for home

Wed May 16, 2018 9:15 am

Great concept and I totally get your use case, I was about to get a hobby desk until my fiance moved in and we needed more storage!
Could the side panels of the unit be folded down to give a larger workspace? Looks like the front panel fold down.
Electronic and Computer Engineer
Pi Interests: Home Automation, IOT, Python and Tkinter

hippy

Wed May 16, 2018 4:29 pm

Looks interesting. What is likely to be the retail price when you do put it on sale ?

https://www.facebook.com/inventapod

FaisalG

Wed May 16, 2018 7:18 pm

Thanks very much for your comments =)

The side panels are fixed in place I'm afraid, but both the front and top sheets detach (magnetically) from the chassis. One of the catalysts for making the inventapod was to keep the peace with the missus so I hear you scotty101!

hippy, I will be launching two sizes. The Original size shown on the website currently will retail around £130. That include a powerboard and mains cable (3m long). I will also sell a slightly smaller version, the miniPod for £110. The miniPod will be the same height and depth so that it still fits in a bookshelf, but will be 200mm shorter in width. How do those prices sound to you?

Thanks again for taking a look!

ElEscalador

Thu May 17, 2018 11:44 am

Nice. I had a similar problem, plus I was always taking my stuff from one place to another (work, home, project locations, etc). I built a station into a steel case that everyone warns me to never take to an airport... It has worked very well, and I have a smallish 4-tray parts organizer cube thing with a handle to expand the number of available parts, now instead of pakcing up 4001 things, I just grab one or two cases. Here's a look - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2bVRgs4tIk
My Autonomous Robot Project and a few of my other projects below.

https://lloydbrombach.wordpress.com/

hippy

Thu May 17, 2018 1:44 pm

FaisalG wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:18 pm
The Original size... £130 ... miniPod for £110 ... How do those prices sound to you?
Seem a bit expensive to me but I am likely not your target market. I don't have too much of a space problem and would probably see things differently if I did.

My use case would be mostly in making things portable and transportable. I usually use steel camera cases but they are not big enough for larger monitors. Unless I were moving things a lot I would probably bash something together using MDF but I do appreciate it's a properly designed system, professionally delivered, and almost certainly better than what I would throw together.

I do note that the top comes off ( folds back ? ) and the front folds down; so how suited and rugged is it for carrying its contents around ?

Return to “Other projects”