I am thinking of setting up a pi based navigation computer

online map database user supported

nmea data with mux / demux

gps support

wifi support

auto update elevation / depth

perhaps working with Open Street Map and Open CPN

collecting and logging topographic / bathymetric data

sending into central database along with current road conditions and accurate mapping

alexhawdon

Re: navigation computer

Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:31 pm

What's the application?  Land/air/sea?

I didn't know what nmea was so did a quick Google which suggested you want to use this for maritime applications?  Off the top of my head, relying on OpenStreetMap maps to not wreck your boat and kill yourself sounds like  Very Bad Idea.

For more conventional SatNav applications such as in-car, I would say that's one application where the falling prices that have also made the RPi possible have made it pointless to do this; you can likely buy an off-the-shelf Sat Nav for much less than you could build one.  Furthermore, if you're geekily inclined with a love of saving money (like me) a decent smart phone covers these sorts of applications and more.

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick wrt your use case!

SeanD

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:37 pm

alexhawdon said:

I didn't know what nmea was so did a quick Google which suggested you want to use this for maritime applications?  Off the top of my head, relying on OpenStreetMap maps to not wreck your boat and kill yourself sounds like  Very Bad Idea.

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the stick wrt your use case!

Alex, whilst NMEA is a maritime org their name has become synonymous with a standard that they developed (0183) to enable positional equipment such as GPG to be interconnected.  GPS devices create "NMEA Sentences" over serial interfaces.  There are other standards but NMEA is the most ubiquitous.

Wiki for NMEA 0183 is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMEA 

riccardocagnasso

Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:52 pm

alexhawdon said:

Why does people constantly assume that everyone is a fool that don't know what is doing?

white74

Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:20 pm

The concept is to use open source charts / maps as a basis and have the option to switch between land sea or air all updated by by the users so most current information is shown the update would be as simple as a database sync the only issue i see is marine aviation and automotive use different standards for grids

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:37 pm

riccardocagnasso said:

alexhawdon said:

Why does people constantly assume that everyone is a fool that don't know what is doing?

riccardocagnasso said:

alexhawdon said:

Experience on the internet?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

bwoodbury

Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:24 pm

I use GPS a lot, mainly for work but for personal use as well. I look forward to doing field work with my RasPi in hand, connected to my usb gps dongle (about $25), and my (yet to be purchased) 7" rugged screen

For those not familiar with the various range of lower end gps hardware there is a BIG difference in their capabilities.

A gps for vehicle sat/nav ($100-$200. I use a Garmin in my car to cut down on the "stop and ask for directions" prompts coming from the seat beside me). These units typically don't allow you to enter much in the way of custom routes, waypoints or maps. Data updates can be purchased as street and address information get outdated. My data is 3 years old and an update will cost me $100

A basic handheld gps for hiking, biking, etc ($100-$200) has some decent road and off road background mapping, including topographic data, available. Added detail data can sometimes be found available free on the net, or purchased.

A more advanced handheld gps ($300-$500. I use a Garmin GPSmap 76CSx) allows the user to transfer data, including custom tracks and maps to and from their computer. I use mine not only to mark and track where I walked on a property but also to preload my gps with critical property points, lot lines and other custom data from my laptop mapping software (MapInfo) prior to visiting a site.

I do occasionally take my laptop connected to my gps out in the car or into the field but that can be a problem if you aren't careful.

A GPS connected to the RasPi opens up a whole world of capability far beyond anything available from low end gps hardware.

roelfrenkema

Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:43 am

I'm really happy with my android phone running locus. All what you want but handy if you get my drift. You can use any map you can imagine, edit and screwup as much as you and it will even supply nav aid. Keep things simple.

white74

Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:14 pm

my biggest issue with the smartphone gps is the inaccuracy of the gps and the maps

using a 50 channel ublox 5H gs 407 chip set

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9436

solves the gps accuracy issue

and user updated open source maps solves the map accuracy issue

David613

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:27 am

I was fiddling with a similar idea for a bit, it was fairly easy to get everything set up, and at least competitive with the prices of lower end products (about 45$ for GPS chip from Adafruit, 5$ pi zero from anywhere, gpio attached screen 25-60$ depending on various qualities of the screen). The end of the project for me was not being able to find any "off-road" maps for Open street map. Since my primary reason for wanting it in the first place was for when I venture out into wilderness, and have maps that don't depend on non-local data (cell phone fails on this, or at least mine does) and the ability to mark points when I find a place I'd like to return to later on. I had hoped to find some topographic maps that osm would work with but I couldn't come up with anything. Granted it was the first time I'd done anything with GPS that wasn't cell phone based so I may have missed something but it seemed like it would come down to having to use the map images I liked and link the pixels to GPS coordinates. That was way more ambitious then I wanted, so the project sits logging temperature and humidity in my living room, with the "bonus" of being able to verify the GPS coordinates of my house....

jamesh

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:51 pm

David613 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:27 am
I was fiddling with a similar idea for a bit, it was fairly easy to get everything set up, and at least competitive with the prices of lower end products (about 45$ for GPS chip from Adafruit, 5$ pi zero from anywhere, gpio attached screen 25-60$ depending on various qualities of the screen). The end of the project for me was not being able to find any "off-road" maps for Open street map. Since my primary reason for wanting it in the first place was for when I venture out into wilderness, and have maps that don't depend on non-local data (cell phone fails on this, or at least mine does) and the ability to mark points when I find a place I'd like to return to later on. I had hoped to find some topographic maps that osm would work with but I couldn't come up with anything. Granted it was the first time I'd done anything with GPS that wasn't cell phone based so I may have missed something but it seemed like it would come down to having to use the map images I liked and link the pixels to GPS coordinates. That was way more ambitious then I wanted, so the project sits logging temperature and humidity in my living room, with the "bonus" of being able to verify the GPS coordinates of my house....
Please don't necro 6 year old posts.....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Other projects”