ITz Life NL

ports and color change

Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:49 pm

i heard that the model b was getting more ram so i looked on element 14 and i see that the sound jack has changed color ? why? and what are the two ports in red for Image

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: ports and color change

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:08 pm

Cyan is just the standard color for audio outputs, and the manufacturer probably found an exact replica of the connector, but cheaper and in the standard color. they would be cheaper as cyan connectors are sold more often than simply black ones, because as its the standard they are made in greater numbers.

The two other connectors are for flexible PCB band-cables, one (near the ethernet port) is for a to-be-announced camera module, that is still in development, the other on, above the SD-card is for another module, (also in development) that makes it possible to connect some brands of LCD panels (but not others). Both ports are directly controlled by the GPU (nor the ARM CPU), and at the moment have no use at all, without these modules.

jojopi

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:17 pm

mahjongg wrote:Cyan is just the standard color for audio outputs
Actually it is not. In the PC99/2001 system design guide, light blue is the colour for an analogue audio line input, and lime green would be the correct colour for an output. The Pi only has one TRS connector, so it is as you say just a case of whichever colour is easiest to obtain on assembly.

ITz Life NL

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:18 pm

ahh yeah i just looked that up thanks btw !

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:56 pm

jojopi wrote:
mahjongg wrote:Cyan is just the standard color for audio outputs
Actually it is not. In the PC99/2001 system design guide, light blue is the colour for an analogue audio line input, and lime green would be the correct colour for an output. The Pi only has one TRS connector, so it is as you say just a case of whichever colour is easiest to obtain on assembly.
ah, yes, you are right, I actually looked at the back of my PC to check, but as it was too dark there, and the actual plug was black, I mistook the color for Cyan, but you are right its light green. The same reason still applies, these are made in greater numbers thus cheaper.

ITz Life NL

Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:29 pm

also i was having an idea that the internet and power lights could be changed colour but i wonder do any of the leds change color or do they all stay one solid colour

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:31 pm

No, all LEDs are single color, and neither the PI, not the Ethernet chip, (that controls 3 of the LED's) supports multi-color LED's. To be sure, I also don't see the practicality of multi-color LED's in this application.

ITz Life NL

Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:50 pm

i mean are stock colour changing because i was going to install blue ones?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:20 am

They won't change to blue anytime soon, as blue LED's are more expensive than other color LED's, even if its just a few cents.

Return to “General discussion”