nl3prc

raspberry pi b+ to raspberry pi 3

Sat May 12, 2018 1:00 pm

Hoi
ik heb met succes een rasbian jessie draaien op een raspberry pi b +
echter als een maat van me een copie probeert op zijn raspberry pi 3 slaat hij tijdens laden van de kernel vast
weet iemand hier iets op

nl3prc

Re: raspberry pi b+ to raspberry pi 3

Sat May 12, 2018 1:02 pm

i have rasbian on a raspberry pi b+ but when i tried to run the same image on a raspberry pi 3 it crashes on kernel load
is the a way to work around that
thanks

DougieLawson

Sat May 12, 2018 1:04 pm

Try booting a copy of Raspbian 2018-04-18.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3B*3, 3B+

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

gkaiseril

Sat May 12, 2018 4:13 pm

RPF recently released the Raspberry Pi 3B+ so any reference to a RPi B+ is not clear since there is now the Raspberry Pi B2+ and the Raspberry Pi B3+. The B3+ has new controllers for the Ethernet and Wireless which uses different software drivers. This means if one is using the Raspberry B3+ the newest version of Raspbian needs to be used and if you are using NOOBs you also need to use the most recent version. Older versions might boot but there will power usage issues and network connections issues due to the use of old drivers.

You need to provide very clear information as to the exact model of Raspberry Pis you are using and not any abbreviated name.

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 12, 2018 4:47 pm

gkaiseril wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 4:13 pm
RPF recently released the Raspberry Pi 3B+ so any reference to a RPi B+ is not clear since there is now the Raspberry Pi B2+ and the Raspberry Pi B3+. The B3+ has new controllers for the Ethernet and Wireless which uses different software drivers. This means if one is using the Raspberry B3+ the newest version of Raspbian needs to be used and if you are using NOOBs you also need to use the most recent version. Older versions might boot but there will power usage issues and network connections issues due to the use of old drivers.

You need to provide very clear information as to the exact model of Raspberry Pis you are using and not any abbreviated name.

Raspberry Pi B2+ does not exist :shock:

Raspberry Pi B3+ does not exist :shock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry ... ifications
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

NL1TD

Sat May 12, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi all,

Well its about mine PI. I have de PI3 model B and NL3PRC he haves an older model I think then I have.I have tried to load the kenrel serveral times but it keeps hanging at boot up with the messages "Critcal error couldnt load the kernel or mount the kernel"
Now as I think it looks to me that it is impossible to load an older kernel in a newer machine. Am I right or wrong ?

Anyone haves an idea about it?

Thanks.

Theo.

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Please re-read what YOU posted above as you have written something completely different from what the RPi models are named :D
""understanding the theoretical, but not always the end goal""

My other Devices are the ChromeBit CS10, ChromeCast & Huawei Mate 10 Pro SmartPhone

davidcoton

Sat May 12, 2018 8:30 pm

NL1TD wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 5:10 pm
Hi all,

Well its about mine PI. I have de PI3 model B and NL3PRC he haves an older model I think then I have.I have tried to load the kenrel serveral times but it keeps hanging at boot up with the messages "Critcal error couldnt load the kernel or mount the kernel"
Now as I think it looks to me that it is impossible to load an older kernel in a newer machine. Am I right or wrong ?

Anyone haves an idea about it?

Thanks.

Theo.
Older kernels are likely to fail on hardware introduced after the kernel release.

Particularly it is known that the Pi3B+ needs an updated OS (in several respects).
Assuming Raspbian Stretch without NOOBS (or PINN or Berryboot), boot an older Pi with the card. Do:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
sudo apt full-upgrade
Shut down, transfer card to new Pi, boot and it should work.

Older Raspbian, or NOOBS: can be updated but it's easier to start again with latest Raspbian Stretch, Full or Lite, with or without NOOBS (but PINN is an impovement if you really need multiple OSs or the repair facility).
Other OSs? All bets are off.
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”
The Pink Unicorn is a symbol of commitment to sensible discussion of future versions of the Raspberry Pi ™

nl3prc

Sun May 13, 2018 1:13 am

I have updated the kernel and distro to the latest version it still works on mij raspberry PI B+

nl3prc

Wed May 16, 2018 7:38 am

I,m sorry to say that it stl is not running on a raspberry pi 3 b+

mfa298

Wed May 16, 2018 8:11 am

nl3prc wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:38 am
I,m sorry to say that it stl is not running on a raspberry pi 3 b+
It would likely help if you described more about the setup.

How and when does it crash.
Which OS version are you runing
are you using NOOBs or PINN
etc.

Also please be clear what model your going from and two. You've mentioned two or three model types in this post For identification this may help - there are small physical changes between most models https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ or for the pis you can make boot you can use the revision code https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

nl3prc

Wed May 16, 2018 1:55 pm

I downloaded rasbian jessie in 2016 and made a dist upgrade 2 days ago https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/
On my raspberrypi 1 b+ everything works but when i made an image for a vrind to run on the pi 3 b+ its not booting.
debian version went from 8 to 9.4

Return to “Advanced users”