Gadgetguy

Is Raspbian’s Chromium version too old to cut the mustard?

Thu May 10, 2018 10:20 pm

Today I did an update/upgrade on my raspbian stretch system for the first time in about 10 days which included an upgrade to rpi-chromium mods. On trying to access via chromium browser, a reputable news(paper) site: http://nationalpost.com/ that I normally frequent without any problems, I am greeted by a popup requesting that I turn off adblocking. If I don’t I can’t read the content. I have disabled ublock origin and I have no other adblock extensions. In Chromium’s content settings I have allowed the site in the flash and popup settings. I can access the site in Vivaldi snapshot which uses Chromium 65 as its engine and likewise with Chrome in Windows OS. I can also access site with no problems in Kweb and Epiphany. I can’t see any tweaks that would circumvent this issue in chromium flags. But I do see that starting with Chromium 64 there is a content setting for ads:

https://www.howtogeek.com/342986/how-to ... all-sites/

Any suggestions to remedy this problem in Chromium. I hasten to add I am very happy with and grateful for the hw accelerated Chromium on the Pi and I can imagine it is a lot of work to compile a newer version but are age related deficiencies starting to manifest themselves?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Is Raspbian’s Chromium version too old to cut the mustard?

Thu May 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Working on a newer version and a way to speed up future releases it as we speak. In the meantime, you could give vivaldi a go.
Last edited by ShiftPlusOne on Thu May 10, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gadgetguy

Thu May 10, 2018 10:46 pm

Great and thanks!. Yes I like Vivaldi as well, it's nice to have variety and choice. It's interface and tweaks to Chromium have certain advantages and I daresay disadvantages. I do note that it doesn't decode video in browser quite as efficiently as chromium. 1080p in Vivaldi stutters. buffers and loses audio sync but 720p performance is acceptable.

ShiftPlusOne

Wed May 16, 2018 9:40 pm

A newer version should've hit the repo earlier today. Any difference?

ShiftPlusOne

Wed May 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Just checked that site on my desktop in firefox. i've disabled AdGuard and it still complains.

Firefox also gives information about that site not being secure. I think the problem is most likely on their end.

Gadgetguy

Thu May 17, 2018 12:12 am

Thanks for the updated Chromium! Strangely I can access that problem site via Chromium both old and new versions, if I use a user agent switcher extension( very useful tools by the way). I can also still access it via Raspbian Vivaldi and Windows OS’s Chrome browser even without a change in user agent. One strange thing about the updated Chromium in Raspbian is that the content settings have no ads configuration option whereas Windows Chrome has had an ads setting since version 64.

cjan

Thu May 17, 2018 1:00 am

Gadgetguy wrote:
One strange thing about the updated Chromium in Raspbian is that the content settings have no ads configuration option whereas Windows Chrome has had an ads setting since version 64.
it had ads option.

Gadgetguy

Thu May 17, 2018 1:12 am

cjan wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 1:00 am
Gadgetguy wrote:
One strange thing about the updated Chromium in Raspbian is that the content settings have no ads configuration option whereas Windows Chrome has had an ads setting since version 64.
it had ads option.
In Windows Chrome there is an ads option in settings/advanced/content right below plugins. I do not see any ads option in recent versions of Raspbian;s Chromium which seems curious to me.

Gadgetguy

Thu May 17, 2018 4:38 am

I am rather embarrassed to admit the reason I was receiving the pop-up on the aforementioned problem website telling me to disable ad-blocking was because while I had not enabled ad-blocking specifically in Chromium I had enabled an ad-blocker for all browsers by replacing my Raspbian default hosts file: /etc/hosts with the MVPS hosts file, found at:

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

Moreover I was using an outdated mvps hosts file. When I either restore Raspbian’s default host file or use the most recent MVPS hosts file and reboot my raspberry pi I no longer receive the popup. Untill I recently experienced this popup I had not experienced any signifigant problems or drawback from using the MVPS hosts replacement. It is strange however that the only browser that precipitated the popup was Chromium. All the other browsers loaded the site without problem. Subjectively I have noticed much better browser performance using the mvps hosts file when browsing ad infested pages using a relatively weak cpu such as the raspberry pi

If you are not familiar with this Mvps blocker and are interested in trying it you can find more information at:

HOW TO: improve browser experience:

viewtopic.php?t=174034

HOWTO setup adblock (for midori and all browsers):

viewtopic.php?t=37331

Return to “Raspbian”