henradrie

Enabling Serial port

Wed May 09, 2018 2:12 pm

Hi all,

Me and my friend are doing a project with the serial port pins on a Pi 3 and are stumped with getting it to work.

One problem seems to be that every tutorial we find references an older version and doesn't seem to be complete. We can't find any examples of projects where the serial port pins on the Pi 3 is used either.

Does anybody know where we can find a tutorial on enabling the serial port, testing the port, and using the port in a simple project?

klricks

Re: Enabling Serial port

Thu May 10, 2018 12:50 am

henradrie wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 2:12 pm
Hi all,

Me and my friend are doing a project with the serial port pins on a Pi 3 and are stumped with getting it to work.

One problem seems to be that every tutorial we find references an older version and doesn't seem to be complete. We can't find any examples of projects where the serial port pins on the Pi 3 is used either.

Does anybody know where we can find a tutorial on enabling the serial port, testing the port, and using the port in a simple project?
Need a lot more information on what you are trying to do. What serial device do you want to connect to?
Enabling the serial port is easy. Start sudo raspi-config and find serial in the Interfaces menu.
Answer NO to the question about login shell.
Answer YES to the question about serial hardware port.
Reboot.

The serial port device name will be /dev/serial0

To test you can do a simple loopback test by connecting GPIO TX to RX with a jumper wire.

install a serial terminal software such as minicom and/or cutecom (GUI).
What you type on the screen should be echoed back if setup correctly.

Important! do not connect anything to the GPIO RX pin that is not 3V3. Connecting 5V or RS223 without an adapter will kill your RPi.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

Return to “Beginners”