Re: pi3b+ Why show 2835 instead of 2837

Mon May 07, 2018 12:56 pm

Already asked and answered. viewtopic.php?t=188544

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu May 10, 2018 1:03 pm

I wonder if we can publicise why this happens a little better? It's a question that comes up a lot.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

hippy

Thu May 10, 2018 2:00 pm

jamesh wrote:
I wonder if we can publicise why this happens a little better? It's a question that comes up a lot.
There was some discussion on "managing knowledge" a while back -

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=133329

I think there should be at least some sort of collection of official FAQ pages, a knowledge base, which address the more commonly and regularly asked questions. Answers and information are currently spread all over the place, on official FAQ pages, in blog postings, on GitHub, in stickies, and sometimes in random threads.

It won't ever stop people not searching first, or having missed the answer, but at least would provide somewhere to point people to which should also hopefully reduce the number of answered questions asked.

Some sort of user-editable Wiki may be best. That avoids RPT/RPF having to build the knowledge base from the ground up, allows others to add to it when questions are answered.

A Wiki which only allows additions and not change or deletion, with only approved editors having the means to make those avoids destructive vandalism. Additions could be restricted to only those logged in with a certain number of posts to reduce the risk of that further.

jamesh

Thu May 10, 2018 2:07 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 2:00 pm
jamesh wrote:
There was some discussion on "managing knowledge" a while back -

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=133329

I think there should be at least some sort of collection of official FAQ pages, a knowledge base, which address the more commonly and regularly asked questions. Answers and information are currently spread all over the place, on official FAQ pages, in blog postings, on GitHub, in stickies, and sometimes in random threads.

It won't ever stop people not searching first but at least would provide somewhere to point people to which should also hopefully reduce the number of answered questions asked.

Some sort of user-editable Wiki may be best. That avoids RPT/RPF having to build the knowledge base from the ground up, allows others to add to it when questions are answered.

A Wiki which only allows additions and not change or deletion, with only approved editors having the means to make those avoids destructive vandalism. Additions could be restricted to only those logged in with a certain number of posts to reduce the risk of that further.
ELinux is a user edited Wiki, and is pretty hopeless. Loads of stuff out of date etc. We have made a conscious effort to bring as much as possible in to our docs system, where it can be curated a little more effectively.

I'm currently sorting out the FAQ we currently have to bring it in to github, so it can be edited there and PR's sent in to us for checking. That will make it much more updatable so should remain more up to date. Also adding a glossary.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/document ... qs/faqs.md
https://github.com/raspberrypi/document ... lossary.md

Doesn't mean these questions will stop being asked - Google would have found the answer to many questions asked.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Return to “Off topic discussion”