altaylor

PiServer setup

Tue May 01, 2018 11:10 am

Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I am trying to set up PiServer , for a lab with 10 pi's. I have uploaded Raspbian Stretch lite to the Pi's and checked it. I have booted a windows PC from USB with Raspbian Desktop. When I try to use the wizard I can connect the pi directly to the PC and it's MAC address comes up, but no Network interface, or I can get a network interface, but the MAC address does not come up. If I try to connect through a switch I only get network interface and no MAC address.

Anybody else come across this problem? I am trying to build this stand alone at the moment, so not sure if this has any effect.

Thanks

fruitoftheloom

Re: PiServer setup

Tue May 01, 2018 11:25 am

altaylor wrote:
Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum, but I am trying to set up PiServer , for a lab with 10 pi's. I have uploaded Raspbian Stretch lite to the Pi's and checked it. I have booted a windows PC from USB with Raspbian Desktop. When I try to use the wizard I can connect the pi directly to the PC and it's MAC address comes up, but no Network interface, or I can get a network interface, but the MAC address does not come up. If I try to connect through a switch I only get network interface and no MAC address.

Anybody else come across this problem? I am trying to build this stand alone at the moment, so not sure if this has any effect.

Thanks

With PiServer the Raspberry Pi 2Bv1.2 / 3B / 3B+ are Network Booted Clients, whereas the x86 Machine running Debian Stretch with RPD is the Server:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/piserver/

piserver.png

You may also wish to look at PiNet which is more classroom orientated:

http://pinet.org.uk
Last edited by fruitoftheloom on Tue May 01, 2018 11:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adieu

B.Goode

Tue May 01, 2018 11:27 am

Are you actually working with "Debian with Raspberry Pi Desktop - the Foundation’s operating system for PC and Mac." https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/

If so there is a subforum for that purpose - you might like to Report your original post and ask a Moderator to relocate it.

I can't give you chapter and verse, but I have a feeling that there is a prior discussion about this that came to the conclusion that the PiServer utility needs the server operating system to be directly installed on the server hardware, not running from a live CD or USB stick?

mikerr

Tue May 01, 2018 12:43 pm

altaylor wrote:
I have booted a windows PC from USB with Raspbian Desktop.
That's your first problem. PiServer only works once installed on the PC's HDD.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Return to “Staffroom, classroom and projects”