Tecd0c

Re: STICKY: TUTORIAL: Update NOOBS without Re-Installing It (When Your Raspberry Pi 3B+ Will Not Boot!)

Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm using a Raspberry Zero W to convert the Image for a Raspberry Pi 3B+.

My problem is that I depend on a program written by a company that seems not willing to update their program for current OS (Stretch).
The programs runs on the older Jessie Lite. if I update to Stretch the program does not run anymore as it needs the libGLSv2.so.
I understand that this librarys got updated from Broadcom and the name is changed to libbcmGLSv2.so.

So I'm using the last 2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie-lite release and use Etcher or Win32DiskImager to burn it to a 8GB or 16GB SD.

The Raspberry Zero W boots up with that and I'm able to go through your instructions.

Everything seems ok, but once I insert the SD into the Raspberry Pi 3B+ and boot, I see the Raspberry Logo with Mouse support and the message: waiting for sd card (setting partition)

What is going wrong on mine site?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you!

RPi_Mike

Re: STICKY: TUTORIAL: Update NOOBS without Re-Installing It (When Your Raspberry Pi 3B+ Will Not Boot!)

Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:26 am

Tecd0c wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:53 pm
So I'm using the last 2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie-lite release..... Everything seems ok, but once I insert the SD into the Raspberry Pi 3B+ and boot, I see the Raspberry Logo with Mouse support and the message: waiting for sd card (setting partition)..... What is going wrong on mine site?

I'm the author of this tutorial.

I can't help but notice that nowhere in your post do you actually mention anything about having NOOBS – even though that's what my entire tutorial is about!

Instead, you only mention that you have Raspbian Jessie Lite.

Most people that have "Raspbian Lite" would have probably just installed "Raspbian Lite".

In other words, they would not have bothered to first install "NOOBS Lite" – and then use that to install "Raspbian Lite".

That is just my statistical sense, of course – I fully realize that you may have indeed taken that more circuitous route for some unknown reason.

Either way, I don't have too much to say on this. My tutorial is extremely comprehensive and covers all the bases. [If I sound boastful, it's not that at all – it's simply that I put a tremendous amount of hard work into my tutorial and I know where it stands.]

In fact, it's now been viewed nearly 13,000 times – enough to fill a good-sized sports arena. In all those views, not a single person has reported a problem.

Actually, there was ONE single person who did report a "problem" – but it literally doesn't count!

That's because he specifically chose to "violate" my very clear instructions. In his case, he tried to update a version of NOOBS from before November 2015 – even though my tutorial explicitly states that it will NOT work for systems older than November 2015!

However, the very knowledgeable developer of PINN – a user by the name of procount – tends to be a bit more forgiving and "friendly" on these matters. So perhaps at some point he might chime in.

Tecd0c

Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:03 pm

First of all - Thank you for your answer! You might have recognized from my writing, that English is not my native language. I should have stated before, that I'm new to Raspberry in general. So please forgive, if I misunderstood someting wrong.
In fact that was basically it. As from your original post I did only understand that it will work with Jessie-Lite if not older than 2015.
So the Image I was using was from 2017. I was guessing that Noobs ist included into that Image (in general).
I did not understand that Noobs is kind of Setup program that you can use to install a OS. I thought that it is included in the OS...

So of course it is my fault, as I used Etcher to install the Jessie-Lite Image instead..

I have it now, and Jessie-Lite is running on my Raspberry 3B+.
Thank you for reading!
Regards
Stefan

RPi_Mike

Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:15 am

Tecd0c wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:03 pm
Thank you for your answer! ..... You might have recognized from my writing, that English is not my native language ..... I have it now, and Jessie-Lite is running on my Raspberry 3B+.

You're welcome!

And by the way – your English is quite good!

Although I noticed a couple tiny "glitches", I honestly just assumed they were typos. I had no clue that English was not your native language!

jjl64

Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Hello,

Is it possible to easily adapt the tutorial for someone who only has a 3B+ and who is trying to boot it from an older SD card image?

I ask because I have downloaded a bootable SD image from UV4L with which to run their webRTC demo
(see: https://www.linux-projects.org/rpi-vide ... e-demo-os/ ) and the SD image exhibits this thunderbolt problem in my 3B+. Naturally I have asked them to provide an updated image but just in case I don't hear back from them anytime soon, is there a way I might update their image using just my 3B+ ? I'm wondering if doing so may be a quicker and easier path for me, as I am only just beginning to familiarize myself with Janus and webRTC.

Thanks,

John

jjl64

Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:58 pm

jjl64 wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to easily adapt the tutorial for someone who only has a 3B+ and who is trying to boot it from an older SD card image?

I ask because I have downloaded a bootable SD image from UV4L with which to run their webRTC demo
(see: https://www.linux-projects.org/rpi-vide ... e-demo-os/ ) and the SD image exhibits this thunderbolt problem in my 3B+. Naturally I have asked them to provide an updated image but just in case I don't hear back from them anytime soon, is there a way I might update their image using just my 3B+ ? I'm wondering if doing so may be a quicker and easier path for me, as I am only just beginning to familiarize myself with Janus and webRTC.

Thanks,

John

And the answer appears to be "no."

The UV4L image referred to above is Jessie, not Stretch.

I actually got the thing to boot on the 3B+ after copying bootcode.bin and start*.elf onto the old image card, but it doesn't recognize the ethernet port and most likely a lot of other things too. Oh, well. Nevermind.

RPi_Mike

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:05 am

jjl64 wrote:
I have downloaded a bootable SD image from UV4L with which to run their webRTC demo and the SD image exhibits this thunderbolt [will not boot] problem in my 3B+. Naturally I have asked them to provide an updated image but just in case I don't hear back from them anytime soon, is there a way I might update their image using just my 3B+ ?

NOTE: The Raspberry Pi's official website follows a "just once" policy for email notifications. If another post has been made to the same topic, no additional notifications will be sent – unless the user has logged back in during the intervening time and re-visited the topic!

Perhaps they wish to reduce the strain on their servers or not flood people's inboxes.

Whatever the reason, I never saw your 2nd post until now.

That's unfortunate, considering I spent a good amount of time writing my response to your 1st post!

Nonetheless, since I took the time to write it, I'm sending the whole thing anyway:

----------
Your question reminds me of theory versus reality.

In theory, there are all kinds of wonderful "projects" you can do on a computer.

In reality, you better be prepared to spend hours, days, weeks or even years to make it happen!

In many cases, it gets even worse: Time and effort may prove to be insufficient and your goals will never be achieved.

Unless some pioneer has already blazed the trail by publishing a clearly written, step-by-step tutorial that doesn't "assume knowledge" and skip over essential details, the vast majority of people will be dead in the water. This is especially true when it involves complex things like video.

But it gets even worse than that: Unless these tutorials are continuously updated to reflect the never-ending changes in the "software environment", the instructions will often expire and fail to work.

In my experience, most "tutorials" on the Internet are not even worthy of the name.

As if that weren't enough, for a whole bunch of cultural and psychological reasons, the few "gurus" who truly understand "how to do it" tend to be quite useless. That's because they typically suffer from the "curse of knowledge" and lack the temperament or cognitive ability to explain things to a wider audience.

Why? Because everything is "so obvious" to them!

Or, if they do know how to explain things with sufficient detail and clarity, they typically don't bother sharing their privileged insights. After all, they already know how to do it – so it's not a problem for them!

In fact, if you look at the most advanced and prolific posters on this website, most of them have NEVER posted a single tutorial. Never – not once.

I may not be a guru, but I have taken the time to write a series of comprehensive tutorials that take everything I just said into account. I try to write high-impact tutorials that address extremely common things that many people would appreciate – like my tutorials on playing videos or viewing images.

So, back to your question:

I can tell you already know this, but your query is definitely off-topic. You're asking about an "alien" operating system that has nothing to do with my tutorial or NOOBS. [Other than the fact the alien system you're asking about is somehow "based" on an old version of Raspbian – and the title of my tutorial coincidentally includes the phrase "won't boot"]

Nonetheless, I understand your frustration and I realize you were just fishing for an answer.

So here's my suggestion – a suggestion that may or may not work. I say this because I'm not about to take a deep dive on your project or learn about some random operating system you found on the Internet. But based on my quick take, it's what I would try if I were in your shoes:

One way or another, get your hands on a Raspberry model that's older than the 3B+. A model 3B or even a Raspberry 2 will do just fine. Maybe a friend can let you borrow one. You only need to get your hands on it for about 5 minutes.

Then, use the older Raspberry to boot the old operating system you found.

Once it's up and running, simply connect to the Internet and run the following command:

sudo rpi-update

With a bit of luck, that will update your "boot code". At that point, just pop the SD card into the 3B+ and it just might boot!

I wager that my suggestion has a 35% chance of working. If it does, it does – if it doesn't, it doesn't!

Note to all the other Raspberry users out there: Unless an expert has specifically told you to do so for a specific reason, you should not run this command.

PS: I just read your other post in the Graphics forum. This is not the place for discussing it, but try the outstanding motionEyeOS. It just might meet your "video monitoring" needs. Over WiFi, the latency is just a few seconds.

Return to “General discussion”