P4rzival

Any info on how I can make the Pi more usable for someone with sight problems?

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:27 pm

So my uncle in law is "legally blind". However to be more accurate he has 10% vision in one of his eyes and is blind in the other.

I built him a PC about 8 years ago and had some real issues getting the accessibility set up in a way in which he could use it.

Everything is up to max and the colours are over the place, I cant use it under his login, but it works for him.

However the PC is getting old now and is very slow.

He is also not very tech savvy and does manage to get the machine in to some problems, more than likely because he cant always read the prompts and is likely saying yes to things he shouldnt.

Anyway I digress... I was thinking of building him a new machne, but then thought, well all he uses it for is web browsing, email (though outlook.com) and printing.

I am far from an expert in Pi, but have set them up as arcades etc in the past, however if someone has experience in setting one up for the visually impaired? How in detail can you get with high contrasts, font scaling, browser config. Oh and cant you print? I am assuming you can on that last one.

Also he has this hooked up to a 50" TV and I had a right ball ache getting the picture to fit the screen properly, but I think we can do this with Overscan?

procount

Re: Any info on how I can make the Pi more usable for someone with sight problems?

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:36 pm

PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

P4rzival

Re: Any info on how I can make the Pi more usable for someone with sight problems?

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:57 am

Thanks for the link Procount!

I had seen it and am reading, however it seems more aimed for those that are completely blind rather low vision. So my uncle doesnt like the computer speaking to him, but just wants it all high contrast.

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”