mrmcivor

Smart Display for Elderly

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:39 pm

Hey everyone,

New here. I'm from a technical background that involves Security technology, CCTV, Alarms, Access Control.

I want to do a Raspberry Pi Project that is going to benefit my aging parents.

I'd like to build a smart display that will sit along side their TV.

This display would show them a dashboard of appointments, weather, medicine reminders. as well as showing family photos.

Do any of you think this is possible and what hardware and software would you recommend?

Cheers

W. H. Heydt

Re: Smart Display for Elderly

Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:47 pm

It's certainly possible. You might take a look at the RPF 7" touchscreen that connects to a Pi though the DSI connector. As someone getting long in the tooth myself (I'm 69), I suggest being careful to keep fonts fairly large which will require limiting the amount of data on any one image.

boyoh

Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:36 pm

Regards BoyOh
mrmcivor wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:39 pm
Hey everyone,

New here. I'm from a technical background that involves Security technology, CCTV, Alarms, Access Control.

I want to do a Raspberry Pi Project that is going to benefit my aging parents.

I'd like to build a smart display that will sit along side their TV.

This display would show them a dashboard of appointments, weather, medicine reminders. as well as showing family photos.

Do any of you think this is possible and what hardware and software would you recommend?

Cheers
BOYOH
This project is easier said than don, due to continuos up/dating of the information
This will most lightly be needed daily Unless you are skilled withe electronics
and programing I would see if there is unit ready made for this project ,I would
not use a Pi The information you want to display is of a medical information,and
could be miss read,
BoyOh ( Selby, North Yorkshire.UK)
Some Times Right Some Times Wrong

jbudd

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:56 pm

If you could display the information on a Web page then you could show the page on a pi screen for sure.
If your parents are as forgetful as mine, you would have to remove the "time for your pills" message after they took them but not if they forget. That's not so easy.

I think the world needs a pi powered pill box with an alarm and a reset button.

PhatFil

Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:42 am

google for pi smart mirror and kiosk display solutions for roadmaps for similar systems perhaps

ie https://www.danpurdy.co.uk/web-developm ... -tutorial/

karrika

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:20 am

This is one application I have thinking about for a very long time.

Creating some kind of interface that looks very physical (intuitive) could be the way to go. I am thinking about communicating with pictures.

One framework that could be extended to do the job is the RPi-InfoScreen project. There is no ads, stuff stay exactly where you program them. And it is touch screen only.

viewtopic.php?t=121392

As the Pi is cheap you can dedicate a Pi to just one thing and put it on a logical place in the home.

Also have a look at the Pi fruitbox project. It is a jukebox that mimics old audio record players. Easy to use for elders.

Gavinmc42

Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:50 am

Can they figure out how to switch HDMI inputs on the TV via the remote control?
Then they could see all that on the TV screen, just plug the Pi into one of the extra HDMI ports.

My oldish TV has three HDMI inputs, one now used for Settop box, leaving two spare.
Weather Pi and Photo Pi?
Skype on TV to grandkids?
Can a front door Pi cam send a HDMI CEC command to change HDMI input?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

alj

Fri May 04, 2018 3:35 pm

This is not a difficult project. My mother has moderate dementia and lives with me and I made her a simple display with a used 19" LED TV, a Pi3, and MagicMirror2 software (https://magicmirror.builders/). MM2 is relatively simple to set up and has several built in modules and numerous 3rd party modules for displaying various information.
Last edited by alj on Sun May 20, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

karrika

Fri May 04, 2018 8:57 pm

alj wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 3:35 pm
This is not a difficult project. My mother has moderate dementia and lives with and I made her a simple display with a used 19" LED TV, a Pi3, and MagicMirror2 software (https://magicmirror.builders/). MM2 is relatively simple to set up and has several built in modules and numerous 3rd party modules for displaying various information.
One of my big concerns was to be informed if something is wrong. Old people tend to forget to drink and may be lying in bed until they get in bad shape. Some kind of smart unit that could count how many steps the old people take during the day and pass that info to the kids that care about their moms and dads would be a good thing.

Just receiving an email like "today could be a good day to take dad out for a walk" would be a good thing.

This would be a smart display in my opinion.

Return to “Assistive technology and accessibility”