gilius

£50 reward: 64-bit Linux *any distro* on RPi3B+ with a KVM-enabled kernel! [solved]

Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:35 pm

I am offering £50 reward via PayPal to the first person who can provide an IMG file with a *working* ARM64 distro for the new RPi3B+, i.e. it must contain at least 2 partitions:
1) Raspberry Pi firmware (100MB FAT32 for booting on Pi3 B+)
2) The file system itself
Note: the kernel *must have* KVM enabled, and it must be ARM64 architecture.

Internet/network card support + a minimal/full GUI would be nice too for a noob like me! I don't care if it's experimental - I just need to test Qemu-System-Aarch64 with -enable-kvm flag (that's the only software I plan to use!).

It should be in the same format as to how MaxVMH provided his Ubuntu Mate images, albeit these were 32-bit and KVM was disabled, alas:
MaxVMH wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:36 pm
I was able to make a bootable USB image of Ubuntu Mate for the Raspberry Pi 3B & 3B+. Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread :)

I made torrents of the images:

If anyone prefers a direct download instead of a torrent, send me a PM (not posting those publicly to save my bandwidth)
So far I know for a fact that Debian and OpenSUSE both have 64-bit/KVM images available - but I'm not technical enough to get them onto a Raspberry Pi 3 b+. There may be other distros out there that have 64-bit/KVM - or the kernels can be upgraded to include it - preferably Ubuntu, Debian or Fedora.

£50 may not be much - merely an incentive for providing me this much needed favour; any help would be much appreciated - and don't forget to PM me your PayPal addy when done.

feelslikeautumn

Re: £50 reward: 64-bit Linux *any distro* on RPi3B+ with a KVM-enabled kernel!

Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:55 am

It would be cheaper for you to buy the old 3B model where everything pretty much works. Or sell you 3b+ and combine with the £50 and buy a better arm board more suited to kvm. Just saying...

Gavinmc42

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:22 am

Fedora 28 beta seems to go into a loop when getting to the Lan78xx driver on boot :(
This loop caused file system issues :(
But it seems to be getting close, perhaps now that Fedora is getting behind IoT OS versions?

Maybe Fedora 29?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

feelslikeautumn

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 am

Have you tried a more recent version like I linked? Some people have reported it booting okay https://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/fe ... 11991.html

The important bit is that it has the correct firmware files, uboot (giving efi) and device tree blob file. With that you can play about with arm64 Ubuntu, debian and opensuse ISOs.

EDIT: corrected armhf to arm64
Last edited by feelslikeautumn on Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gavinmc42

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:59 am

armhf is 32 bit? Aarch64 is 64 bit.
I don't think there is a Aarch64 driver for the Lan chip yet?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:07 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:59 am
armhf is 32 bit? Aarch64 is 64 bit.
I don't think there is a Aarch64 driver for the Lan chip yet?
The code, if written correctly, will work on 32 or 64bit builds.

I have no idea if it has been written correctly, but I presume so.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Gavinmc42

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:20 pm

Not sure if I have seen the new LAN7515 in the Linux source code, I have seen LAN78xx which is USB3.0
The old chip was the LAN9514
Perhaps it uses the old smsc75xx driver?

Is it in mainstream Linux yet or just the Raspban fork?
Driver/net or driver/usb?

I would have thought drivers must be recompiled for Aarch64 if used instead of the armhf 32bit version.
Hmm but it would go via the USB port?
So USB Net booting would need new code in the SoC boot loader too?
After booting the VC4 would hand over the Lan chip to the Arm in 64bit mode?

Ouch, head hurts, there is good reasons I avoid Linux these days :oops:

Someone must know because the Pi3B+ works, at least in armhf 32bit mode ;)
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

feelslikeautumn

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Not sure if I have seen the new LAN7515 in the Linux source code, I have seen LAN78xx which is USB3.0

I would have thought drivers must be recompiled for Aarch64 if used instead of the armhf 32bit version.

Details here - https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmware/issues/957

6by9

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:

The LAN7515 uses the LAN7800 driver. https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/bl ... /lan78xx.c - mainline but with a couple of patches that we're working on. It's a USB3 chip attached to a USB2 interface.
It is a kernel driver. You build the kernel for a specified architecture. As long as you don't do silly things in the driver then it should build on all architectures - x86, x86_64, arm, arm64, mips, or any of the others that can fulfill the dependencies. You don't go making assumptions about endianness, word size, or the like, in the driver.

Yes, the VC4 bootloader code was updated for the 3B+ to know how to drive the LAN7800/LAN7515. Once it's done the DHCP/TFTP bit for network booting and read the relevant bits in to memory I suspect that Linux hits reset on the chip and starts again for itself.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

jamesh

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:49 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Why? It's not that complicated, and any OS with networking etc is going to do similar things.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Gavinmc42

Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:09 pm

Thanks guys, that explains the Fedora 28 Beta issue I saw yesterday re Lan78xx.
Why? It's not that complicated,
You are kidding right? Taking the micky?
AWK and SED are perfectly good languages to write apps with too :lol:

I like shiny new things and the shine has worn off Linux, at least the 32bit version ;)
It is bit like Windows XP now.
Yes, the VC4 bootloader code was updated for the 3B+ to know how to drive the LAN7800/LAN7515
I saw the new bootcode.bin size change but would not the chip have to net boot first to load bootcode.bin/start.elf etc over the network?
Bigger boot ROM on the new chip or just better coding?

Can the new SoC package spin still use the old LAN9514 for net booting.
Compute CM3's, could they use either LAN chip?
New Compute version with the new package SoC?

Building new kernel driver etc yuk :lol:
Hmm is there a Buildroot Aarch64 version yet?
Just for messing about in Aarch64, I don't need a full OS ;)
Linux and Busybox + Micropython can do a lot in IoT space.

Lot of new commits, I guess I should watch them more or just wait.
Better keep an eye on the Bluetooth stuff, I went looking for these the other day.
https://github.com/RPi-Distro/bluez-fir ... r/broadcom
BCM2033 is a USB BT chip, hmm 6 x USB ports on the new LAN7515?

Raspbian is great for learning stuff but it has a few issues when embedding, it's a bit big.

Hmm, a LAN78xx commit one day ago, guess I should wait a bit more ;)
I also avoid C too now, as much as I can.
Hmm Linux and C, am I a Vegan in McDonalds? Perhaps trying to vary my diet, try new things?
Not that 64bit is new, just new on Pi's.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

jamesh

Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:04 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:09 pm
Thanks guys, that explains the Fedora 28 Beta issue I saw yesterday re Lan78xx.
Why? It's not that complicated,
You are kidding right? Taking the micky?
AWK and SED are perfectly good languages to write apps with too :lol:

I like shiny new things and the shine has worn off Linux, at least the 32bit version ;)
It is bit like Windows XP now.
Yes, the VC4 bootloader code was updated for the 3B+ to know how to drive the LAN7800/LAN7515
I saw the new bootcode.bin size change but would not the chip have to net boot first to load bootcode.bin/start.elf etc over the network?
Bigger boot ROM on the new chip or just better coding?

Can the new SoC package spin still use the old LAN9514 for net booting.
Compute CM3's, could they use either LAN chip?
New Compute version with the new package SoC?

Building new kernel driver etc yuk :lol:
Hmm is there a Buildroot Aarch64 version yet?
Just for messing about in Aarch64, I don't need a full OS ;)
Linux and Busybox + Micropython can do a lot in IoT space.

Lot of new commits, I guess I should watch them more or just wait.
Better keep an eye on the Bluetooth stuff, I went looking for these the other day.
https://github.com/RPi-Distro/bluez-fir ... r/broadcom
BCM2033 is a USB BT chip, hmm 6 x USB ports on the new LAN7515?

Raspbian is great for learning stuff but it has a few issues when embedding, it's a bit big.

Hmm, a LAN78xx commit one day ago, guess I should wait a bit more ;)
I also avoid C too now, as much as I can.
Hmm Linux and C, am I a Vegan in McDonalds? Perhaps trying to vary my diet, try new things?
Not that 64bit is new, just new on Pi's.
Er, what? Please a read back what you have written - if you cannot understand what you are writing, neither can we! But to try and answer some of your seemingly random questions, but to make it more interesting, I've answered in a random order.

No, not joking or taking the mickey. The Pi boot process is well documented and not that difficult to understand. Linux itself is no more complicated than Windows, but a damn sight easier to work with due to the Open source nature of the code. Documentation sucks a bit though, but since there isn't ANY documentation for Windows internals for the vast majority that's a fairly moot point.

AWK and SED are not for writing apps. Use C/C++ or Python.

lan78xx driver is undergoing a few changes at the moment, due to the 3B+ exposing certain defects in the driver than had not been seen before. rpi-update will get the latest version, but there are at least three important changes that have gone in recently.

CM3 could use either lan chip, or any other lan chip - design is up to the buyer. You are not limited to what's on the Pi boards.

We don't advertise new products in advance.

No difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit version of Linux except the size of addresses. No more or less functionality*, because they are both built from the same source tree.

(* except some VC4 features won't work on 64bit, so really, 32 is better)

I believe the bootcode on the SoC is pretty much the same as before - minor changes to support some extra stuff. bootcode.bin isn't related to the onboard bootcode, it's simply loaded and executed by it.

gilius

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Will give it a try - thanks! Hope I can get the ethernet to work. Will report back on the results.
jamesh wrote:
Linux itself is no more complicated than Windows, but a damn sight easier to work with due to the Open source nature of the code.[/quote
How easy would it be too update those LAN drivers in Debian 64-bit - and possibly in Fedora (depending on how the installation goes) - to get them working?
jamesh wrote:
No difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit version of Linux except the size of addresses. No more or less functionality*, because they are both built from the same source tree.
Does that mean qemu-system-aarch64 could operate under a 32-bit Linux host and run Arm64 guests with KVM enabled? (both have a Cortex a53 CPU inside)

gilius

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Will give it a try - thanks! Hope I can get the ethernet to work. Will report back on the results.
jamesh wrote:
Linux itself is no more complicated than Windows, but a damn sight easier to work with due to the Open source nature of the code.
How easy would it be to update those LAN drivers in Debian 64-bit - and possibly in Fedora (depending on how the installation goes) - to get them working?
jamesh wrote:
Does that mean qemu-system-aarch64 could operate under a 32-bit Linux host and run Arm64 guests with KVM enabled? (both have a Cortex a53 CPU inside)
Last edited by gilius on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gilius

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:02 pm

Wow, it booted up by itself - without me needing to replace the firmware files on the boot partition. It even got as far as a GUI where I could create an account. However, soon after things began to go pear-shaped...

It initially crashed with "Starting GNOME Display Manager. Dispatcher Service..."

I restarted and then this same line kept appearing: "Rx: failed to receive -5".

I was then able to proceed a bit further after unplugging USB devices, but it ended up crashing here instead:
"bridge: filtering via arp/ip/ip6tables is no longer available by default. Update your scripts to load br_netfilter if you need this."

I will try again with USB devices unplugged from the beginning - but I suspect I will still end up with the same errors - also complains at the very beginning net: no ethernet found. Will try the minimal too.

How to download and use the "Kernel package with Ethernet" that you referenced? I don't even see a download link:
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/tas ... D=26121358

gilius

Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:40 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Have you tried a more recent version like I linked? Some people have reported it booting okay https://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/fe ... 11991.html
"After boot, I logged on as root, created a user, enabled sshd, and can
now connect to the machine using ssh.

Note that before I booted the system, I changed the default target from
graphical to multi-user, in order to avoid gnome-shell troubles:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1561184

I suspect the wired Ethernet port is not operational (I used a USB
Ethernet dongle for my ssh connection.) I have not tried any wi-fi
activity."
Does that mean he turned off the display and then had to SSH? I can't be messing around with that. :? I need to be able to run qemu-system-aarch64 with SDL2 X11 output proper - and not through a VNC server or the like. :ugeek:

Interesting about the USB Ethernet solution though... somebody tried a similar approach with Debian 64-bit, but failed.

Anyway, I can't get Fedora to work "out of the box" so to speak based on those same aforementioned errors, and the minimal distro first crashes on "random: crng init done"

Next reboot crashes on: "usbcore: registered new interface driver lan78xx"

gilius

Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:47 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 pm
Slightly different from the opening post. This is lubuntu 17.04 for the raspberry pi 3 only - arm 64!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvHY_kl4hMB4e6zadBGWgyymUpI

md5sum: 6567c12872fd2974793e8b696ab0b185 lubuntu-17.04-desktop-arm64+pi3.iso
sha256sum: a691442086f09268aafaf10892656831ab59a52f74bc1625d8d7b402613e0c85 lubuntu-17.04-desktop-arm64+pi3.iso

Extract the contents (don't use DD) to a fat partition. Make sure you copy the hidden ".disk" folder. Or if you want to boot the iso file, then these are the bootloader/kernel files you need:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvHY_kl4hMB4eckxNr90Ei0LFno

The iso can be on a different partition or device to the bootloaders (all partitions are automatically scanned). If the iso is buried in a directory tree then edit the cmdline.txt with the details.

The config.txt should be readable on a windows machine.

Note on booting you'll be looking at the rainbow screen for 10-15 seconds before a noticable change.

If you want to install, then use:

Code: Select all

ubiquity --no-bootloader
and choose the "something else" option at the partitioning stage. Useful mount points are /cdrom and /isodevice for when you manually create your bootloader partition at the end of the install.
This works well after replacing the boot files with those contained under /usr/lib from here:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/arm64/r ... e/download

Unfortunately, there's no KVM. Might it be possible to upgrade the kernel from there to get KVM enabled? Why do all the Ubuntu builds have KVM disabled... It's like disabling virtualization in the bios of a Windows machine so that you can't run VirtualBox or VMware... bad brain.

feelslikeautumn

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:05 pm

gilius wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:40 pm
feelslikeautumn wrote:
"After boot, I logged on as root, created a user, enabled sshd, and can
now connect to the machine using ssh.

Note that before I booted the system, I changed the default target from
graphical to multi-user, in order to avoid gnome-shell troubles:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1561184

I suspect the wired Ethernet port is not operational (I used a USB
Ethernet dongle for my ssh connection.) I have not tried any wi-fi
activity."
Does that mean he turned off the display and then had to SSH? I can't be messing around with that. :? I need to be able to run qemu-system-aarch64 with SDL2 X11 output proper - and not through a VNC server or the like. :ugeek:

Interesting about the USB Ethernet solution though... somebody tried a similar approach with Debian 64-bit, but failed.

Anyway, I can't get Fedora to work "out of the box" so to speak based on those same aforementioned errors, and the minimal distro first crashes on "random: crng init done"

Next reboot crashes on: "usbcore: registered new interface driver lan78xx"
No it doesn't. https://docs-old.fedoraproject.org/en-U ... rgets.html

feelslikeautumn

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:06 pm

gilius wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:02 pm
Wow, it booted up by itself - without me needing to replace the firmware files on the boot partition. It even got as far as a GUI where I could create an account. However, soon after things began to go pear-shaped...

It initially crashed with "Starting GNOME Display Manager. Dispatcher Service..."

I restarted and then this same line kept appearing: "Rx: failed to receive -5".

I was then able to proceed a bit further after unplugging USB devices, but it ended up crashing here instead:
"bridge: filtering via arp/ip/ip6tables is no longer available by default. Update your scripts to load br_netfilter if you need this."

I will try again with USB devices unplugged from the beginning - but I suspect I will still end up with the same errors - also complains at the very beginning net: no ethernet found. Will try the minimal too.

How to download and use the "Kernel package with Ethernet" that you referenced? I don't even see a download link:
https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/tas ... D=26121358
Follow links for aarch64, scroll to bottom of page.

feelslikeautumn

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:09 pm

gilius wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:47 pm
feelslikeautumn wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 pm
Slightly different from the opening post. This is lubuntu 17.04 for the raspberry pi 3 only - arm 64!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvHY_kl4hMB4e6zadBGWgyymUpI

md5sum: 6567c12872fd2974793e8b696ab0b185 lubuntu-17.04-desktop-arm64+pi3.iso
sha256sum: a691442086f09268aafaf10892656831ab59a52f74bc1625d8d7b402613e0c85 lubuntu-17.04-desktop-arm64+pi3.iso

Extract the contents (don't use DD) to a fat partition. Make sure you copy the hidden ".disk" folder. Or if you want to boot the iso file, then these are the bootloader/kernel files you need:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvHY_kl4hMB4eckxNr90Ei0LFno

The iso can be on a different partition or device to the bootloaders (all partitions are automatically scanned). If the iso is buried in a directory tree then edit the cmdline.txt with the details.

The config.txt should be readable on a windows machine.

Note on booting you'll be looking at the rainbow screen for 10-15 seconds before a noticable change.

If you want to install, then use:

Code: Select all

ubiquity --no-bootloader
and choose the "something else" option at the partitioning stage. Useful mount points are /cdrom and /isodevice for when you manually create your bootloader partition at the end of the install.
This works well after replacing the boot files with those contained under /usr/lib from here:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/arm64/r ... e/download

Unfortunately, there's no KVM. Might it be possible to upgrade the kernel from there to get KVM enabled? Why do all the Ubuntu builds have KVM disabled... It's like disabling virtualization in the bios of a Windows machine so that you can't run VirtualBox or VMware... bad brain.
The generic arm64 kernels will have kvm I'm sure.

feelslikeautumn

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:19 pm

Your best bet to get this working is fedora or debian. Or use the fedora uboot/firmware files to boot opensuse. The 3B+ has wifi, and that might work if you copy the correct files from raspbian.

I plan on releasing 18.04 arm64 images of ubuntu when 18.04 is released at the end of the month. You'll have to pay me a lot more than 50 pounds to do it earlier than that.

gilius

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:23 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:06 pm
Follow links for aarch64, scroll to bottom of page.
I wouldn't even know which file(s) to choose or how to use them:
build.log (tail)
hw_info.log (tail)
mock_output.log (tail)
root.log (tail)
state.log (tail)
kernel-4.16.0-1.rpi1.fc28.aarch64.rpm
kernel-core-4.16.0-1.rpi1.fc28.aarch64.rpm
kernel-cross-headers-4.16.0-1.rpi1.fc28.aarch64.rpm
kernel-debuginfo-4.16.0-1.rpi1.fc28.aarch64.rpm
kernel-debuginfo-common-aarch64-4.16.0-1.rpi1.fc28.aarch64.rpm
kernel-devel-4.16.0-1.rpi1.fc28.aarch64.rpm
kernel-headers-4.16.0-1.rpi1.fc28.aarch64.rpm
kernel-modules-4.16.0-1.rpi1.fc28.aarch64.rpm
kernel-modules-extra-4.16.0-1.rpi1.fc28.aarch64.rpm

No idea what RPM file is... I looked inside one of them and it shows a CPIO file... seems like a world away from getting these ethernet drivers fixed!

gilius

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:27 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:09 pm
The generic arm64 kernels will have kvm I'm sure.
I am having a bit of trouble installing the generic kernels on there because if I do an apt-get update or apt-get install linux-image-xxxx or even try to install any app I get NOT FOUND for the ports.ubuntu.com repository. Does the sources.list need to be updated to something else?

gilius

Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:55 pm

feelslikeautumn wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:19 pm
Your best bet to get this working is fedora or debian. Or use the fedora uboot/firmware files to boot opensuse. The 3B+ has wifi, and that might work if you copy the correct files from raspbian.

I plan on releasing 18.04 arm64 images of ubuntu when 18.04 is released at the end of the month. You'll have to pay me a lot more than 50 pounds to do it earlier than that.
The next reward I was going to offer was £100 to upgrade the kernel on my smartphone to a KVM-enabled one without bricking the device, but so far we haven't been able to get it to work properly on a Pi 3 B+. Small wonder a smartphone solution isn't forthcoming either. I can only assume there's a conspiracy behind locking down KVM on all these modern ARM devices. :twisted:
feelslikeautumn wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:05 pm
No it doesn't. https://docs-old.fedoraproject.org/en-U ... rgets.html
If I hit ESC at the beginning (or any key for that matter) it just takes me to a U-Boot shell, whatever that is.

"Note that before I booted the system, I changed the default target from
graphical to multi-user"

Is it a U-Boot command that does this?

Return to “General discussion”