sharkus

Using an SD card from PI 3 MODEL B in PI 3 MODEL B+

Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:40 am

Hello,
I have a PI 3 MODEL B at the moment, and it's been great. I'm tempted by a PI 3 MODEL B+, but I wanted to know if I can update the card in my Pi 3B to the latest OS version, and then simply pop it in a 3B+ and it will work, or is there more to it than that.

thanks for any information you can provide.

KLL

Re: Using an SD card from PI 3 MODEL B in PI 3 MODEL B+

Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:03 am

short answer YES

ok,
-1- this assumes that you already use RASPBIAN STRETCH
-2- you do update upgrade ( update dist-upgrade ) while the SD card is still in the OLD PI
-3- now that will be ok if you want replace the boards,
but possibly you want to run both
- - this assumes that you use RASPBIAN STRETCH desktop
use the desktop / menu / accessories / SD card copier /app and make a second SD card ( or USB stick )

still there is the recommendation to BURN a new SD card with RASPBIAN
see also release notes
but currently ( with 2018-03-13 release ) there have been reports what suggest that your way ( upgrade even that new system in RPI3B first ) is the best way.
but i assume you happy with the installs / setup you have done so far.

HawaiianPi

Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:13 am

Yup, as KLL said, an update/upgrade of Raspbian Stretch will install the new firmware needed for the new 3B+ model (along with a new 4.14 kernel). I had 2017-11-29 Raspbian Stretch on my SSD and after an update/upgrade on the old 3B, it booted right up on my new 3B+.

So from an older model Raspberry Pi (doesn't even have to be a Pi3), open a terminal and enter the following commands,

Code: Select all

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade -y
and your card should now boot in the new 3B+ model.

Or if you prefer apt-get,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y
will do the same thing.

If you used NOOBS to install Raspbian, you'll have to manually update the NOOBS files to the new 2.7 version, in addition to upgrading the Raspbian OS. If you are still running the older Raspbian Jessie it would be best to start over with a fresh install of Raspbian Stretch 2018-03-13.
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt

Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:53 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:13 am
Yup, as KLL said, an update/upgrade of Raspbian Stretch will install thew new firmware needed for the new 3B+ model (along with a new 4.14 kernel). I had 2017-11-29 Raspbian Stretch on my SSD and after an update/upgrade on the old 3B, it booted right up on my new 3B+.
+1

That's waht I did when swapping a Pi3B+ in place of a Pi3B that boots from a WD 314GB PiDrive. Having done the update/dist-upgrade earlier in the day, it took less than 5 minutes from opening the package--going "Oooh! Shiny!"--disconnecting cables, stripping down the case, replacing the board, putting it all back together again, reconnecting the cables and powering up to get to the desktop.

Now it is fair to say that I've been doing things with Pis for a while, so I can probably run through a board swap faster than someone who is news to the Pi, but it really isn't a difficult process. It will take longer when I get another Pi3B+ to replace the Pi3B my grandson uses. Opening that case involves a screwdriver.

gkaiseril

Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:21 pm

It should be noted that all models of the Raspberry Pi run the exact same OS. So it is possible to update the SD card using a Pi 1 and then placing that card in a Pi 3B + and have the Pi 3B + boot. This means one can move an SD card from a Pi 3B to any Pi and update the OS and then move that card back to the original Pi and expect the system to boot with the most update system.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

sharkus

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:08 pm

Thanks for all the replies.

Part of the reason I asked is that going from the Buy option on the product pages here and selecting the BuyAPi link (https://www.buyapi.ca/product/raspberry ... aspberrypi) had the following text on the B+ page:

The new Pi3B+ board features the same processor as before, however it’s configured differently in the firmware. This means that previous OS images that you ran on your Pi3B will not run on the new Pi3B+!
Raspbian is the first OS to be updated, as the Raspberry Pi Foundation provided a new release on the same day as the Pi3B+ board. You can find that new version here. Please also see this link for general instructions on how to avoid the common pitfalls of writing the image file to the microSD card.
Other OS’s will be updated, but they didn’t have advance notice of the new board model, so they now have to catch up. Please check with the developer of the OS you’re interested in to see if they list a release date.

In other words, it's saying the OS on the 3B won't run on the 3B+, which does not seem to be the case.

As it stands I'm updating my image to stretch, as was still jessie.

gkaiseril

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:14 pm

On the day of the release the most recent OS was also updated and the non-updated version did not have the drivers needed for wired and wireless network connections. The bluetooth would work but not the BLE.

There are any number of post from people still using Jessie and having all sorts of issues, so I expect the statements are being used to push these individuals to update.
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

B.Goode

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:39 pm

it's saying the OS on the 3B won't run on the 3B+, which does not seem to be the case.
We might split hairs over interpretation of "the OS" and "run."

But a microSD card that was running the most recent and updated version of Raspbian Stretch on the day prior to the release of the RPi 3B+ will not boot up that latest model of RPi, as many frustrated posters to these forums have found.

The warning from buyapi looks correct to me.

Return to “Beginners”