el_grappaduro

Samba performance with 3+?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:15 pm

In this 'SBC NAS Group Test' Christopher measures 10.3 MB/s with Samba and a Pi 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCgXQjaviM

What do you 3+ owners get in the same scenario?

pretoriano

Re: Samba performance with 3+?

Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:17 pm

Same here.

Prefacing this with the following:
1. I am running a Synology ~1TB NAS which backs up to RPI 3B+ every night via rsync.
2. I run samba on RPI 3B+ and map the share to my workstation on my gigabit network, (I see gigabit speeds to my NAS on the same network).
3. I do all this with a USB external drive and over the network. So I understand I am using the USB 2.0 bus twice (once to read the USB drive, and a second time to send that same data over the network which shares the same bus), so I believe for every file the RPI reads I am cutting my BW in half.
4. I started with RPI 1 B.
5. I upgraded to RPI 2B in 2014. Then to RPI 3 when than launched, then to RPI 3B+ last week. In all cases I merely took the SD card (after upgrading the kernel of course) to the new board.
6. All speeds reported below are exclusively moving large files. When moving small files performance drops, so this is the absolute best case.

The only real improvement I saw was when moving from RPI1 to RPI2B 4 years ago. Single core to quad core allowed me to see transfers of merely 2 to 3 MB/s to now ~10MB/s which I was ok with since I use this unit merely as a disaster recovery scenario (if my NAS exploded).

I expected RPI 3 to increase my network performance output but I guess I am already bottlenecking the USB2.0 + overhead bus, so higher core speed didnt help at all.

Then, I expected RPI 3B+ to increase my network performance since we now indeed have a gigabit chip. But I guess my bottleneck is in the USB 2.0 bus and not in the network chip. I still have the same ~10MB/s performance (I do see peaks of 11 to 12 MBps but not sustained).

I do not think there is anything I can do to improve this since I believe the bottleneck is in the USB bus and so this may very well be the maximum speed these boards will have until (hopefully) we see anything bigger than USB 2.0.

If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations please share.

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:01 am

If you can avoid Samba/CIFS then avoid it. My ancient Zyxel NAS supports NFSV3, so I mount the NFS shares on all fifteen Raspberries. On my B+ I have smbd, nmbd and winbind running so the Windows machines can get to the NAS /home and /shared shares that way.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

el_grappaduro

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:10 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:01 am
If you can avoid Samba/CIFS then avoid it. My ancient Zyxel NAS supports NFSV3, so I mount the NFS shares on all fifteen Raspberries.
But what if I want to use Pi as NAS? No good idea?

DougieLawson

Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:39 pm

Using the RPi as a NAS works best with a USB attached hard drive formatted as EXT4. Serving that out to your network with Samba/CIFS for your Windows clients is perfectly sensible.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

jeffmeden

Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:08 pm

pretoriano wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:17 pm

Then, I expected RPI 3B+ to increase my network performance since we now indeed have a gigabit chip. But I guess my bottleneck is in the USB 2.0 bus and not in the network chip. I still have the same ~10MB/s performance (I do see peaks of 11 to 12 MBps but not sustained).

I do not think there is anything I can do to improve this since I believe the bottleneck is in the USB bus and so this may very well be the maximum speed these boards will have until (hopefully) we see anything bigger than USB 2.0.

If anyone has any thoughts or recommendations please share.
I feel like you are running into a 100mbit cap somewhere besides the RPi. I Got a few 3b+ units just last week, fired one up with a 1tb usb disk on samba and large file upload/download sustains at 19MB/s. Its still not going to compete with even a cheap dedicated NAS device but its a good step in the right direction thanks to the ethernet bump. If the Pi could get even Multiport USB 2.0 on the SoC (like the Asus Tinker has), that would free things up quite a bit without the struggle to get to USB 3.0.

LTolledo

Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:01 pm

All of my RPis are samba servers and clients at the same time, so I can transfer files between those.

So this time I'll make a 4B file transfer from RPi3B+ to win10pc (old gaming laptop pc with GBE.)
all network connection via LAN cable to GBE Hubs

In win10pc file manager
  • accessed RPi3B+ shared home directory
    selected a 4GB video file saved in Stretch's desktop directory
    copied the file and saved it to win10pc desktop
    file transfer speed indicated by windows averaging at 19MB/s (peaks at 23MB/s)
    completed in about under 3 minutes.
4GB Route: RPi3B+ Desktop ---> HUB-B ---> HUB-A ---> Win10pc

Aside from browsing this forum, other network traffic has been suspended during the test
The same RPi3B+ is the one accessing this forum

My other samba test results are here
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=218791&p=1344369#p1344369
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those...
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

jeffmeden

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:03 pm

samba1-pi3b.png
samba1-pi3b.png (20.52 KiB) Viewed 241 times
samba2-pi3b.png
samba2-pi3b.png (17.97 KiB) Viewed 241 times
For giggles I tested the SSD and then a ramdisk. Network throughput is very good. Using a USB attached disk cuts it roughly in half which is completely expected since the bus is shared.

Return to “Networking and servers”