Gbaman

Re: Raspberry Pi Computer Lab for High Needs School

Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 am

mr_quick wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:25 pm
One of my more tech-savy students figured out how to share the files with the teacher. The individual users have to grant permission for the teacher to view files and the desktop. It works flawlessly.

Example: The student writes an essay, and the teacher can view after being saved. The teacher enters and leaves comments for the future.

Magnificent!
Curious on this, how is it working? PiNet allows for collecting in work as previously mentioned, but not the teacher to edit it on the students copy (I know plenty of educators would though prefer not to directly touch the original student copy). So interested how your student is achieving this?
mr_quick wrote: Have you had success sharing video files? I can't get them to play on the server or the PIs. I've installed and failed with KODI and VLC.
This simply sounds like an odd video format the Pi can't play? What format is the file and what encoding is used? Funny feeling the browser playback stuff has to have it encoded in H.264 in a few file formats.
Perhaps download the video onto a Pi and try and play it with omxplayer? To do so, just use the omxplayer command followed by the path to the downloaded video file.
Lead developer of PiNet, a free and opensource centralised user accounts and file storage system for Raspberry Pi classrooms used in over 200 schools across the world.
http://pinet.org.uk

mr_quick

Re: Raspberry Pi Computer Lab for High Needs School

Thu May 17, 2018 3:47 pm

Gbaman wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 2:04 am
mr_quick wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 3:25 pm
One of my more tech-savy students figured out how to share the files with the teacher. The individual users have to grant permission for the teacher to view files and the desktop. It works flawlessly.

Example: The student writes an essay, and the teacher can view after being saved. The teacher enters and leaves comments for the future.

Magnificent!
Curious on this, how is it working? PiNet allows for collecting in work as previously mentioned, but not the teacher to edit it on the students copy (I know plenty of educators would though prefer not to directly touch the original student copy). So interested how your student is achieving this?
mr_quick wrote: Have you had success sharing video files? I can't get them to play on the server or the PIs. I've installed and failed with KODI and VLC.
This simply sounds like an odd video format the Pi can't play? What format is the file and what encoding is used? Funny feeling the browser playback stuff has to have it encoded in H.264 in a few file formats.
Perhaps download the video onto a Pi and try and play it with omxplayer? To do so, just use the omxplayer command followed by the path to the downloaded video file.
It's an MP4 with the appropriate codec. I have not idea what's up.

Return to “General discussion”