haragg

Managing multiple Raspberry Pi's

Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:24 pm

I am looking for a solution to manage number of raspberry pi's. I would to like to have an entity (be a server or another raspberry pi) that monitor and control activities on all the available pi's. For example if I want to deploy an application on Pi, I will give it to my entity and it will list the available pi's (those that are connected and not busy doing something else) and deploy the application on one of the pi and mark it as busy. Or if I want to update all the pi's it will do it in one go.
Is there any good architecture/technique you could share to achieve this ?

droleary

Re: Managing multiple Raspberry Pi's

Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:01 pm

It's an increasingly common topic of interest. See:

viewtopic.php?f=91&t=206942

W. H. Heydt

Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:09 pm

haragg wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:24 pm
I am looking for a solution to manage number of raspberry pi's. I would to like to have an entity (be a server or another raspberry pi) that monitor and control activities on all the available pi's. For example if I want to deploy an application on Pi, I will give it to my entity and it will list the available pi's (those that are connected and not busy doing something else) and deploy the application on one of the pi and mark it as busy. Or if I want to update all the pi's it will do it in one go.
Is there any good architecture/technique you could share to achieve this ?
You could write an update script--update, upgrade/dist-upgrade, clean, reboot--and run it from cron at scheduled times.

royhenderson

Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:04 pm

Docker perhaps?

johnnyJE

Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:28 am

I agree with @droleary, I also choose Ansible. It's a good fit for the raspi because of the way is uses python on the remote device to do its work.

I use Ansible to manage ~5 Pis. As soon as I do a little initial setup to get an SSH key on a new Pi I can immediately run an Ansible playbook to add it to the fleet.

For deploying apps, it's nice to be able to target specific pis or groups of pis via Ansible's inventory. http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/ ... ntory.html I also make roles for things like base packages, wifi, and the apps I want to run. Then I collect roles into playbook and run those to 'make' fully working app installations on a pi that I can take out and use. It's basically following most of Ansible's suggestions about how to use their tools.

Here's an app I made using Ansible to configure a pi as an Icecast ez-stream audio source: https://github.com/johnelliott/raspi-livestream-box. Most of the code is configuring the pi. I can use the code to configure a whole fleet the same way or each a little different.

I encourage you to check out Ansible and at least try setting up an inventory file and running some ad-hoc commands: http://docs.ansible.com/ansible/latest/ ... t-commands

xsherlock

Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:54 am

Isn't Ansible big hog on resources? Can I run it on a fleet of 100 RPI ZeroW.
For the server I have a big PC but I'm concerned if the clients are able to handle it.

mfa298

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:35 pm

xsherlock wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:54 am
Isn't Ansible big hog on resources? Can I run it on a fleet of 100 RPI ZeroW.
For the server I have a big PC but I'm concerned if the clients are able to handle it.
I'd imagine Ansible would work for that (I've not used it myself).

I tend to use Chef for managing systems which needs a fairly hefty device for the server (I'm using a VM with 4GB ram) but the client works on most things (although building for a the Zero/Pi1 was a bit of a pain). With Chef you can control how often it runs so on a smaller Pi I might set it to only run once a day.

Eitan-UpSwift

Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:52 pm

https://www.upswift.io provides exactly what you are looking for - device management platform for Raspberry Pis and any other Linux devices. It's completely free for makers and prototyping.

Disclaimer - I work at Upswift.io :)
Last edited by Eitan-UpSwift on Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UpSwift.io - Manage and Control remotely RaspberryPi and IoT devices.

hippy

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:19 pm

Eitan-UpSwift wrote:
Upswift.io provides exactly what you are looking for
Just to note that you've mangled your URL there. And your site doesn't display at all well on smaller, 800 x 600 monitors, is losing the leftmost text of the page.

Eitan-UpSwift

Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:53 pm

hippy wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:19 pm
Eitan-UpSwift wrote:
Upswift.io provides exactly what you are looking for
Just to note that you've mangled your URL there. And your site doesn't display at all well on smaller, 800 x 600 monitors, is losing the leftmost text of the page.
Fixed the link, thanks!
Will check the resolution issue.
UpSwift.io - Manage and Control remotely RaspberryPi and IoT devices.

Return to “General discussion”