ghodan

Windows 10 Arm running on a Pi3

Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:43 pm

I want to share this news with you guys:
https://tweakers.net/geek/135069/ontwik ... -pi-3.html

Translated it says:
Developer gets Windows 10 working on Raspberry Pi 3

The Dutch developer NTAuthority has Windows 10 Enterprise for ARM working on a Raspberry Pi 3. The operating system does not yet run smoothly on the small computer board. In this way only a single core is used.

NTAuthority, real name Bas Timmer, shows his progress on Twitter. Although Windows 10 Enterprise for ARM runs natively on the Raspberry Pi 3, the software is, according to him, very slow. "If all four cores were available, that might improve," he writes.

Among other things, he managed to boot the OneDrive app, an x86 program that runs on the ARM version of Windows 10 emulated. The used core of the Broadcom BCM2837 quadcoresoc was fully loaded. To use the other cores, specific firmware support is required. After some time of use, he received random bug check notifications that Windows 10 does not support the processor.

For computer boards like the Raspberry Pi, Microsoft actually has Windows 10 IoT Core, but that version does not have the desktop view of the full version of the operating system

Heater

Re: Windows 10 Arm running on a Pi3

Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:38 pm

Amazing. In more ways than one.

Give people Free and Open Source software, the freedom to create modify and share, and what do they want? Closed source, proprietary, lock in, dependency on a single supplier.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Still, sounds like quite a challenge and an amazing result.

n67

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:31 pm

Give people Free and Open Source software, the freedom to create modify and share, and what do they want? Closed source, proprietary, lock in, dependency on a single supplier.
People (most people, not necessarily you or me or even many/most of the people on this forum, but people in general - across society) really don't like freedom. No matter how much they say otherwise.

Politically, the party (-ies) that are most vocal about words like "freedom" and "liberty" are, in fact, those whose policies are most against those actual concepts. It's just how things work.

And so it is in software (OSes). People want to be told what to do; they don't want to have to make those choices for themselves. And, as we all know, Linux is full of choices. It is all about choices.

I can understand people wanting to run Windows on cheap(er) hardware, like the Pi. Although, I think they'd be better off running it on an X86 based SBC, like, say, the UDOO boards.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

Heater

Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:24 pm

n67,

I have no idea about people wanting or not wanting freedom.

I can totally understand that many just want a computer to do whatever it is they want to do without having to invest a lot of time, energy and thought into it. Can't blame them. So they take what they can get without contemplating the ramifications of it all. Issues of closed source/open source, single supplier dependency, spyware, tracking, unreliability, forced upgrades, etc, etc do not cross their mind.

I can therefor imagine why, from time to time, people turn up here asking about running Windows 10 on a Pi.

However. In this case somebody with talent, knowledge and skill has invested the time and effort to go out of their way to get such a system running on the Pi.

A remarkable achievement. But I cannot for the life of me understand why such a person would want to do that.

n67

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:14 pm

A remarkable achievement. But I cannot for the life of me understand why such a person would want to do that.
Agreed on all counts. Especially since it is Windows 10.

And, by the way, you say you have no idea about the things I'm telling you. Usually, when someone has no idea about something, that is a good time for them to listen to others.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

Heater

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 pm

n67,
And, by the way, you say you have no idea about the things I'm telling you. Usually, when someone has no idea about something, that is a good time for them to listen to others.
You are you suggesting I listen to? You?

When I said "I have no idea about people wanting or not wanting freedom." I was basically referring to your assertion that that is the case. Which is not so clear to me. And not something I wanted to debate about.

What I do know, from listening to others, is that there are many who are concerned enough about the perilous state of our computing infrastructure that they want to do something about it. Not only "want" but "do".

That is why we have the Free Software and Open Source movements. It's why we have Linux and all the code that runs on it. It's why we have the Pi itself.

And recently that is why we have the RISC V open instruction set architecture.

All these things garnering support from individuals, organizations, corporations small and large, and even governments around the world.

Who else so you suggest I listen to?

gilius

Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:33 pm

Windows 10 ARM is easy to boot up using Qemu, but the problem is having a 64-bit Os with a KVM enabled-kernel in the first place, to run it at native speeds.

And when I saw a video it seems the guy had this running through Qemu in software emulation mode, hence the speed reduction; the way I could tell was that I spotted a UEFI boot menu - unlikely to have yet been added to the Pi3 bootloader.

Has there been any progress since this topic was originally started?

HawaiianPi

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:23 am

ghodan wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:43 pm
I want to share this news with you guys:
https://tweakers.net/geek/135069/ontwik ... -pi-3.html

Translated it says:
Developer gets Windows 10 [ARM] working on Raspberry Pi 3
Who cares?

It's a crappy OS that won't do anything people want to do with Windows anyway. And we already have Windows 10 IoT core for that. :roll:
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

BlackKnight_UK

Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:36 am

After a few days playing around with my Raspberry Pi and Linux a few years ago I bought a cheap desktop PC and installed Ubuntu-Mate. SInce them my windows PC doesn't get used for anything other than the few things I can't get on Linux, such as Photoshop which will run with Wine but the plug-ins I use don't.

Putting Windows 10 on a Pi should be a hangable offence!

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:15 am

Well, that went downhill fast, locking before any more accidents happen. Sigh... :evil:

Return to “General discussion”