PalfiZsolt

Pi Zero always reboots at startup

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:43 am

Hi,

I have brand new Raspberry Pi Zero. I prepared an 32 GB SDcard with Raspbian Stretch Lite. I wrote the latest (Release date:2017-11-29,
Kernel version:4.9) image file with Etcher to the SDCard without any error.

My problem is that the Raspbian cannot start. I observe the rainbow screen, then I see the boot process log messages, but when the boot process is at the "Started Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status." the device always reboots.

I use 5V/2A power, HDMI, and keyboard only. I tried 2 SDCards, but the result is same.

Does somebody have an idea what could be the problem?

Thank you.

drgeoff

Re: Pi Zero always reboots at startup

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:48 am

The most common cause of such reboots is inadequate power Look to your powering setup. Be aware that an otherwise OK power unit connected by a weedy USB to micro-USB cable is no different from a weedy power supply.

Many power supplies, especially ones designed as chargers, do NOT deliver the claimed volts and current at the same time, even when new. And those wall wart things have a propensity to slowly die.

All that said, the power requirements of a Zero or ZeroW are quite modest so the power arrangement would need to be really sub-par to cause rebooting.

PalfiZsolt

Re: Pi Zero always reboots at startup

Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:52 am

It seems I found the problem. It was the USB cable. I tried to use a combination of TypeA-TypeA cable and TypeA-MicroB transformer to provide power to Pi Zero. When I changed this to TypeA-MicroB cable, the problem was solved. The power adapter was good.

Return to “Troubleshooting”