Trynez

Won't boot, no ACT light, no anything - Pi Zero W [Solved]

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:09 pm

So i have tried flashing my 16GB Kingston class 4 SD card with Raspbian Stretch, Raspbian Stretch Lite, tried formatting it back to FAT32 and gave it NOOBs and NOOBs Lite, no difference in any of them, not even a single short blink on the ACT LED.
I've looked through tons of posts aswell as the sticky's to see if they could help, followed them carefully but nothing helps.
I've a 2A usb psu, tried my desktop pc with different ports (USB 2.0, 3.0) a power bank, nothing new there either, i even checked the voltage at gpio pins and had it at exactly 5.03V.
Windows 10 recognize through usb (not pwr usb) as BCM2708 Boot, so i'm assuming the Pi Zero works fine, and there's some problem with the SD Card.
My question is what could it be though?
I even tried enabling WiFi but it does not connect to my router either. (I even copy/pasted psw and SSID from router settings to be sure)
Of course, i also tried connecting hdmi, the screen reacts to being connected to it, but no signal. tried connecting and disconnecting usb for keyboard and mouse to be sure it wasn't too much current being drawn.

I've ran out of more ideas..
Last edited by Trynez on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Won't boot, no ACT light, no anything - Pi Zero W

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 am

99% certain you failed to image your SD-card correctly.

go read the boot problem sticky in beginners.

try the use of etcher, writing an image, instead of using NOOBS.

PhatFil

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:26 am

in my very limited experience your symptoms are identicle to mine when i was using a cheap chinese no brand 32gb class 10? sd card that i had been using in a cheap chinese dashcam.

while it had been fine in the dashcam and in a windows pc to read/copy the video files from and according to etcher was both flashed and validated a-ok, when in a pi-0 .... Nowt!!

and as soon as the postman delivered a 16gb sandisk sd card from a trusted supplier (well good amazon feedback) the pi-0 was up in no time at all..

Trynez

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:54 am

mahjongg wrote: 99% certain you failed to image your SD-card correctly.

go read the boot problem sticky in beginners.

try the use of etcher, writing an image, instead of using NOOBS.
I've followed the sticky's, browsed for any solution, i did read the sticky for the Pi Zero aswell, but to no avail. I've used Etcher for the raspbian Stretch aswell with a successful flash.
PhatFil wrote: in my very limited experience your symptoms are identicle to mine when i was using a cheap chinese no brand 32gb class 10? sd card that i had been using in a cheap chinese dashcam.

while it had been fine in the dashcam and in a windows pc to read/copy the video files from and according to etcher was both flashed and validated a-ok, when in a pi-0 .... Nowt!!

and as soon as the postman delivered a 16gb sandisk sd card from a trusted supplier (well good amazon feedback) the pi-0 was up in no time at all..
I haven't seen many people use Kingston, so i would assume the compatility is not on my side with the sd card. My SD Card was bought from a legit store though.

pcmanbob

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:55 am

I use Kingston micro SD cards in all my pi's without any problems, found them to be very reliable, even on pi's running 24/7 one currently at 251 days uptime

I would suggest you try using etcher to flash an img directly on to your SD card, if you are using a built in SD card reader on your pc try using a new USB one some older card readers are not fully compatible .
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

Trynez

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:57 am

pcmanbob wrote: I use Kingston micro SD cards in all my pi's without any problems, found them to be very reliable, even on pi's running 24/7 one currently at 251 days uptime
What SD cards are you using specifically? Mine is a Kingston 16GB SDHC class 4

pcmanbob

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:23 am

Mine are all class 4 , 4,8,16GB

example
Attachments
sd card005.jpg
sd card005.jpg (17.83 KiB) Viewed 6818 times
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

rpdom

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:37 am

I trust genuine Kingston too. I can't tell which ones I use without shutting down my Pis

Trynez

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:38 am

pcmanbob wrote: Mine are all class 4 , 4,8,16GB

example
Alright thank you. I'm doubting the problem is within my SD card then. When I get home I'll try and get Deeper into the problem.

Trynez

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:46 pm

I haven't been able to make it show anything on screen yet, even tried pressing 1 or 2 on keyboard to enable hdmi safe mode etc.
I tried re-flashing it with a raspbian img successfully again, and format the sd card with the SD Card Formatter and then drag in the contents of NOOBS into the root directory, still no sign of it working. However, i did try and plug in a normal usb keyboard (not a wireless one) and it only blinks with light shortly when i connect it, or put power to the Pi Zero W. Is this normal? Shouldn't it keep the light on the keyboard on all the time?

Edit:
I did try holding down shift with hdmi_force_hotplug=1 enabled aswell, no reactions here either (tried holding it down while connecting power, as the keyboard only flashes with light, so i'm assuming it only works for that time it's lighting up)

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:06 pm

Trynez wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:46 pm
I haven't been able to make it show anything on screen yet, even tried pressing 1 or 2 on keyboard to enable hdmi safe mode etc.
I tried re-flashing it with a raspbian img successfully again, and format the sd card with the SD Card Formatter and then drag in the contents of NOOBS into the root directory, still no sign of it working. However, i did try and plug in a normal usb keyboard (not a wireless one) and it only blinks with light shortly when i connect it, or put power to the Pi Zero W. Is this normal? Shouldn't it keep the light on the keyboard on all the time?

Power Supply make / model ?

SD Card Reader type ?

Download the Raspbian Stretch with Desktop OS .zip

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Then use Etcher on your x86 machine to both unzip and create a bootable SD Card:

https://etcher.io/
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Trynez

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:13 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: Power Supply make / model ?

SD Card Reader type ?

Then use Etcher on your x86 machine to both unzip and create a bootable SD Card:

Power Supply is a Dash charge (for OnePlus phone) which provides 4Amps at 5v (tested the voltage at the GPIO pins to 5v)
As i don't have another option at the moment, i use an old MP3 player to read/write to my SD Card. I've hidden files shown on windows and can't see anything added or changed which the mp3 player could possibly do.

I'll get back to you once i've tried flashing Raspbian Stretch with Desktop OS with Etcher again.

Thank you all for trying to help :)

fruitoftheloom

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:40 pm

Trynez wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:13 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote: Power Supply make / model ?

SD Card Reader type ?

Power Supply is a Dash charge (for OnePlus phone) which provides 4Amps at 5v (tested the voltage at the GPIO pins to 5v)
As i don't have another option at the moment, i use an old MP3 player to read/write to my SD Card. I've hidden files shown on windows and can't see anything added or changed which the mp3 player could possibly do.

I'll get back to you once i've tried flashing Raspbian Stretch with Desktop OS with Etcher again.

Thank you all for trying to help :)

A SD Card Reader needs to be SDHC Compliant, in the UK USB SD Card Reader from Poundland work OK..
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Trynez

Re: Won't boot, no ACT light, no anything - Pi Zero W [Solved]

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:44 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: A SD Card Reader needs to be SDHC Compliant, in the UK USB SD Card Reader from Poundland work OK..
Thank you so much for your help! I got it booting now, i assumed the mp3 player was compatible since it could read/write. I loaned a labtop which recognized it as SDHC Card, which my PC through the MP3 player did not, and got it flashed, and booting.
Thank you so much! :D

Return to “Troubleshooting”