but the walls glitch out a lot

is there a setting i need to change ? :D
8-) RATMAN :shock:

jdonald

Re: open gl grafix issues

Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:03 am

Hi ratmandom,

This is a rather belated response, but some thoughts:
• Freedoom (freedm) is only a WAD. You'd need an engine like chocolate-doom or prboom-plus to play it. Which one were you running?
• Regarding the subject line: These engines render with SDL 1.2 with the default SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11, not OpenGL.
• What do you mean by glitching out? If you mean the walls look rather aliased, that's how things looked in 1993 and these are source ports of Doom so they retain largely the same graphics style.
• You might prefer the non-free WAD via sudo apt install doom-wad-shareware, although that won't necessarily make the walls look better.

Thinkcat

Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:40 pm

I think the problem that's being referred to is visible here:
Doom screenshot.jpeg
Doom screenshot.jpeg (90.99 KiB) Viewed 487 times
And this happens constantly. There are even parts of the level missing. Reducing the resolution doesn't help. Increasing the GPU/RAM split to 256 MB doesn't help. This is 1920x1080 though.

Moonmarch

Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:45 pm

There are a number of Doom Engine source ports that you can run on the RPI computer there is Chocolate-Doom, PR-Boom Plus, GZDoom, I know for certain there is a version of ZDoom that you install in Retropie OS the problem with ZDoom no OpenGL rendering, which means you are using software rendering or in other words CPU only rendering no GPU acceleration which is what you will need to reach 60 frames per second with better graphics, and higher screen resolutions.

For the RPI4 I'm going to say the graphic drivers are the problem once again I don't have graphic problems with the RPI3B+ I compile my programs though don't know if performance actually improves, the games downloaded from the Raspbian repository can be old, outdated which leads to graphic problems, and you will have slower performance.

Regardless of what Doom Engine source port you use the Doom games still plays the same I still play Doom or Doom II on DOSBox I use a Doom Engine source port to play user made maps or modifications, here is a guide I wrote that will show you how to compile PrBoom-Plus on the RPI computer:

PrBoom-Plus - Doom Engine Source Port on the Raspberry Pi Zero
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=265863

Return to “Gaming”