raygan

Mount.ntfs-3g taking 55% CPU. Normal?

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:19 pm

Hi there. This is my first post here. I've been learning so much about Linux since getting the Pi, and so far it's been a great experience.

My current project is to get my Pi to automatically mount an NTFS HDD at boot (success!) and run a chron job to use lftp to mirror a directory on my ftp server (partially working) and serve it up over SAMBA (also working!)

However, I'm having some performance issues that I'm trying to resolve. After a few hours my Pi seems to drop off the network; I assume it's overheating or something. In trying to figure out what I could do to stop this, I took a look in "top" while lftp was running and I saw this:
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (58.53 KiB) Viewed 9030 times
It looks like mount.ntfs-3g is taking up more than half of the cpu cycles. Is this typical on the Pi?

Any recommendations on how i could slim things down a bit? I would like this to run continually, updating the mirror about once an hour and serving it up over SAMBA, but it's not much good if it overheats (if that is what is happening) after a few hours.

If it's relevant, it's a 256MB Model B powered via a powered USB hub, as is the USB HDD, and connected over Ethernet. There are no other peripherals attached. I am running Raspbian, the latest version (wheezy I think?)

ghans

Re: Mount.ntfs-3g taking 55% CPU. Normal?

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Reformat to ext4 perhaps (native to Linux) ?
Else i don't know.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

raygan

Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:58 pm

I certainly may do that if I can't get it to run without overheating, but one goal of my project was to be able to detach this hard drive and plug it in to other machines, and ext4 is a bit inconvenient on OSX and Windows.

The screenshot is showing while the pi is actively downloading, and I have my mirror script set to do two concurrent downloads. I'm thinking that if I slow things down a bit by having it limit to one download at a time it might do less read/write and could bring things under control.

elatllat

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:04 pm

ntfs is slow on normal x86 linux and will get slower with saving bigger files, longer lists of file, and more full disks....FAT32 is fast but limits you to <4GB per file, you can try exFAT.
SBC with 32GB RAM: https://hardkernel.com

FAQ : https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Unanswered: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/search.php?search_id=unanswered

raygan

Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:13 pm

Thanks for the recommendation; I've never used exFat. Looks like it works on both OSX and Windows, and allows large files. Nice. I have many files in excess of 4gb, some as large as 16gb.

Is exFat natively supported on the Pi under Raspbian, or would I need to install a package for it?

aaa801

Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:49 pm

raygan wrote:Thanks for the recommendation; I've never used exFat. Looks like it works on both OSX and Windows, and allows large files. Nice. I have many files in excess of 4gb, some as large as 16gb.

Is exFat natively supported on the Pi under Raspbian, or would I need to install a package for it?
i believe its normally included in the kernel, if not you can just rebuild with it included

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:28 pm

People who are using USB HDDs for dedicated use on the Pi have found massive performance increases with EXT4. A lot lower CPU usage and much higher data transfer rates. But as you say, the drawback is lack of portability between it and non-linux systems.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

Return to “Beginners”