Shirey2010

SD Card Reliability Question

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi all!

Thanks for taking the time to read. I have a question about the best way to handle saving to an SD card.

I'll explain what I'm doing: I have the RPi3 and the RPi Camera v2. I'm taking a picture based off a trigger, storing it locally to the SD card, logging into an FTP server, sending that picture via said FTP, then deleting the picture. This is all accomplished with a Python script. This will be running 24/7 with roughly a picture a minute. I've been able to square all of that away just fine and am very happy with how well it works. However, that good feeling evaporated quickly after learning that SD cards aren't all that great for high write cycles, and even less great with high delete cycles.

Through perusing for a solution to this problem, I've learned that there's a lot of bogus and conflicting information out regarding SD card reliability. So I'm turning to this awesome community to hopefully help me clear things up and make me feel like my setup is a little more robust.

What I'd like to know is, first, can I simply send files across an FTP server WITHOUT saving remotely? This would be the easiest solution by far but I'm reaching some dead ends here. If it helps, I'm using FileZilla. I should also note that the RPi will NOT have access to the internet. This is all in a remote, offline location.

Second, generally speaking, would setting up RAMDISC be beneficial here? That opens up a whole new can of worms but if it takes the load off the SD card and lets this thing run for a few years without issue, then I'm sure I could figure it out. That's a rather new idea to me (it sounds awesome) so I wouldn't mind getting some input from folks who have bothered.

If possible, I'd like to avoid adding an external hard drive. The RPi3 will be in a fairly small space so adding a powered port and the HD itself isn't a great option if there's a simpler software solution available.

Thanks again for reading. Any input is greatly appreciated.

DougieLawson

Re: SD Card Reliability Question

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 pm

If you have a full price SDCard from Sandisk, Toshiba or Kingston (or other well known make) and you have a good quality power supply which delivers a reliable 5.1V @ 2.5A then you won't have any SDCard problems.

The only rule is shutdown cleanly (sudo shutdown -h or sudo poweroff or click the icon on the taskbar widget), wait for the ten green LED winks before pulling power.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

Since 2012: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Zero*2, 3B*3

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

WillBoxGaming1

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:59 pm

Im currently using this MicroSD card: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Select-M ... B01DOB6YQA

it has the best write speed and read speed for its price. I doubt you can find better. :mrgreen:

HawaiianPi

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:54 am

There are "High Endurance" micro-SD cards designed for long term use in surveillance cameras, dash cams and the like.

You could also put a temp filesystem in RAM and save the picture to that before sending.
My password is the last 8 digits of Pi.

ghans

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 am

I do not understand how and why you use FTP if the Pi has no connection to the internet.
Who and where is the FTP server and who and where is the FTP client ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

wildfire

Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:18 am

ghans wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:54 am
I do not understand how and why you use FTP if the Pi has no connection to the internet.
Who and where is the FTP server and who and where is the FTP client ?
It's easy to set up an FTP client/server on a LAN.
Scotty never said "I canae give her any more Captain, She'll blow".
B'Elanna Torres however did say "Get the cheese to the sickbay" :?:

Return to “Beginners”