gravityaddiction

Re: GIANT UPDATE: Build FFmpeg and mpv – Automatically in 54 Minutes!

Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:51 pm

the waf error has usally been a lack of libmpv1 or libmpv-dev

Code: Select all

sudo apt install libmpv1 libmpv-dev
Then

cd /home/pi/Vidware_Build/mpv
env LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/vc/lib PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/vc/lib/pkgconfig CPATH=/opt/vc/include ./waf configure --prefix=/usr --enable-rpi --enable-cdda --enable-dvdnav --enable-libbluray
./waf build -j4
sudo checkinstall -y --pkgname mpv --pkgversion 0.29.0 ./waf install
sudo ldconfig

davidhq

Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:37 pm

So what should be done here? If our hero is really gone, then that's it? Was he the only person on the planet with enough patience and desire to make this work? And the rest of us are just incapable of producing a script that would provide an obvious bit of functionality for this shiny new computer?

Maybe this is really something for the foundation to organize or take over? It would really benefit the whole ecosystem long-term.

It seems that this task takes non-trivial amount of resources to do properly and maintain. I'm sure the foundation could find a few capable and knowledgeable people to dedicate to this and pay them accordingly... the benefit for the ecosystem would be asymmetric -- probably by a factor of a few thousand... resources invested vs. benefits for everyone.

davidhq

Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:40 pm

PS: just wanted to let you all know that I posted a comment on the new blog post https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/new-pr ... -pi-4-2gb/ --- I just asked them if there is any chance they are able to help, then linking to this forum topic. "Comment is awaiting moderation".

If some of you have some other channels of reaching the right people to at least consider it, then please do whatever you can :) If they say they won't or can't do it and explain why (hopefully), then that's it and we should all probably start looking into other ways of achieving our goal. Perhaps even opening a crypto-funding campaign through DAO structure for people to chime in with their work and knowledge and get compensated?

The time is now! Multimedia on RPi4 needs YOU! :)

scruss

Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:48 am

ffmpeg and mpv are available as packages in the repo. Maybe not the most recent versions, but that's what you get with Debian. The packaged ones might work fine for you.

The script is difficult to maintain and lacks basic error checking. As is, the Foundation's unlikely to touch it. The OP was spectacularly resistant to helpful suggestions from experienced programmers. Build scripts for other people's software are not the place for self-aggrandizing drama.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:50 pm

Sooooo...what does this all do that we are not already doing with ffmpeg? Not going to read 14 pages of stuff.

Note that we are moving to more upstream stuff for codecs etc, and working on providing open source drivers for H265 and H264 that work with ffmpeg, VLC and the like. So not sure what the previous few posts asking for Foundation input are all about.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

idfwhywnrp

Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:46 pm

davidhq is right.

Drama :
Is there any way to use the raspberrypi 3 or 4 as a media player using mpv ?

On pi 3 or 4 buster the only way to play watchable video (meaning smooth and without screen-tearing on standard videos, no care about 4k 60fps) is to use omxplayer or vlc. But they fail to play many streams.

For mpv the only solution is to use the script of the OP on debian stretch on a raspberry pi 3.

davidhq

Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:14 pm

First of all, thank you for unbanning me... I got banned (by someone) by jumping too hastily with my post and obviously I added irritation on top of some other irritations it seems.

Let me try explaining my view in easier words again: we can all agree that RPi_Mike's language was 'interesting' and colorful... I'm normally also sensitive to this but in this case his work was actually so good that I think this can be overlooked as a rare case of such behaviour... some comments about how his script doesn't handle each edge case etc. are indeed true... but this is the easy part and this particular engineer decided he doesn't want to do it, that's all... I can personally understand him 100% because even with what he did (expect a clean system, have his script execute perfectly and dismiss any other comment from "random people" because you can go crazy finding each person's particular problem with their configuration etc.)

And thank you idfwhywnrp for further clarifyng what is the issue... I'm not an expert in all the various ways codecs etc. work for this whole platform, trying to learn more as I go but for now... If I specifically want MPV and not VLC or something else, then this script is the only thing that produced usable (and actually more or less perfect) results on RPi3 stretch... We can call that "reality freeze"... the whole community knows of only one way to achieve the desired result and this only works on one particular hardware model and one software OS release...

Everyone probably has their own reasons why they want MPV in particular, for me is that I have built a decentralized multimedia system on top of it and it uses mpv's API. For others it may very well be as idfwhywnrp is suggesting that other solutions don't even work reliably... whatever it is, it seems that the above-mentioned solution through this RPi_Mike guy's script is the only thing that really works.

And from here on I don't have a clue what has to be done to make this "reality freeze" more fluid and permanent so that no black magic (as this script seems to be) is needed and that it would work on RPi 3, 4 and hopefully 5 on current and futher Raspbian releases.

If as a first point we can investigate what would be needed for this, then I think this is the first step.

idfwhywnrp wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:46 pm
davidhq is right.

Drama :
Is there any way to use the raspberrypi 3 or 4 as a media player using mpv ?

On pi 3 or 4 buster the only way to play watchable video (meaning smooth and without screen-tearing on standard videos, no care about 4k 60fps) is to use omxplayer or vlc. But they fail to play many streams.

For mpv the only solution is to use the script of the OP on debian stretch on a raspberry pi 3.

davidhq

Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:35 am

Hi James,

I copied the exact script that I've been using for some time now into a gist: https://gist.github.com/davidhq/91ecf46 ... bd63e36854

I removed some blank lines etc. so it's better readable... I hope this helps a bit so that you can see exactly what is happening and you don't have to hunt over this lengthy discussion.
jamesh wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:50 pm
Sooooo...what does this all do that we are not already doing with ffmpeg? Not going to read 14 pages of stuff.

Note that we are moving to more upstream stuff for codecs etc, and working on providing open source drivers for H265 and H264 that work with ffmpeg, VLC and the like. So not sure what the previous few posts asking for Foundation input are all about.

gravityaddiction

Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:57 pm

mpv, with the right configure settings works great on the raspberry pi 4 buster.. it actually works well with the latest ffmpeg too.

davidhq

Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:41 am

gravityaddiction wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:57 pm
mpv, with the right configure settings works great on the raspberry pi 4 buster.. it actually works well with the latest ffmpeg too.
Can you give exact instructions maybe? Would appreciate that... then in a day or two I will let you know if it works without glitches. Usually people think it works because they tried a video, two or even ten... but with serious usage all kinds of edge cases appear which negate the whole promise of mpv working well... I actually tried a few things and was happy at first, thinking that it is fine but soon many problems in specific places appeared.

gravityaddiction

Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:48 am

davidhq wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:41 am
Can you give exact instructions maybe? Would appreciate that... then in a day or two I will let you know if it works without glitches.
raw.githubusercontent.com/gravity-addiction/rpi-mpv/master/install-mpv.sh You can run this and re-run this on the same system. It cleans and re-downloads the build folders each time. I've run it on fresh raspberrian and already running systems, Raspberry Pi 3a+, 3b+, and Pi4. Thinkin about it, I should try to grab a copy of a lite edition and give it a try.

most of the downloaded libraries involved can be updated to the latest versions, most already are tho. I've compiled several different versions of ffmpeg including a recent github master branch. the Key here is using waf-2.0.9 to compile mpv with whatever ffmpeg you compiled. Likely any issue you're having isn't with mpv as much as it's likely with ffmpeg. There are some different config switches for the rpi4 vs the rpi3 for compiling ffmpeg, --extra-cflags specifically. There are a couple patches to help compile mpv on the rpi platform.

Always looking for constructive feedback, it's hard to be perfect, even after several tries. With some patience we can work through the edge case problems and pass those fixes onto the community.

There is a ton of work done in the LibreElec repo github.com/LibreELEC/LibreELEC.tv/tree/master/packages/multimedia/ffmpeg/patches that you should try including and help along your way as well. I poked at using their patches a little bit, I was able to compile ffmpeg and a few firmware library links from compiling mpv. At some point i'll get back and get through that hump, the patches mainly focused around 4k hvec, v4l2, a sprinkle of fixes.. When I get those all figured out i'll add them to the install-mpv.sh script.. for now if you want to patch them yourself use something like..

to patch, cd to the ffmpeg source folder and run

patch -p0 -i filename.patch

to reverse the patch goto the same ffmpeg source folder and add -R

patch -p0 -R -i filename.patch

Viniuau

Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:54 am

I've used gravityaddiction's script and it works great, but I doesn't compile with Lua support.
What could it be? It's a main problem for me as I use it mainly to play YouTube videos and to use other Lua scripts. And the OSC is very handy.

gingis

Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:30 pm

Hello ,

thank you very much for your help!

Tried this today on my Raspberry Pi2-B with Raspian 10.3 Buster

the error occured here

[122/238] Compiling video/filter/refqueue.c
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c: In function ‘mapper_map’:
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:373:24: error: ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE1_FD_EXT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE0_FD_EXT’?
             ADD_ATTRIB(EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE ## plane ## _FD_EXT, \
                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:334:31: note: in definition of macro ‘ADD_ATTRIB’
     attribs[num_attribs++] = (name);                    \
                               ^~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:383:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS’
             ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS(1);
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:373:24: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:334:31: note: in definition of macro ‘ADD_ATTRIB’
                               ^~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:383:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS’
             ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS(1);
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:375:24: error: ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE1_OFFSET_EXT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE0_OFFSET_EXT’?
             ADD_ATTRIB(EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE ## plane ## _OFFSET_EXT, \
                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                               ^~~~
             ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS(1);
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:377:24: error: ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE1_PITCH_EXT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE0_PITCH_EXT’?
             ADD_ATTRIB(EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE ## plane ## _PITCH_EXT, \
                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                               ^~~~
             ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS(1);
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:373:24: error: ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE2_FD_EXT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE0_FD_EXT’?
                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                               ^~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:385:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS’
             ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS(2);
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:375:24: error: ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE2_OFFSET_EXT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE0_OFFSET_EXT’?
                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                               ^~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:385:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS’
             ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS(2);
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:377:24: error: ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE2_PITCH_EXT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE0_PITCH_EXT’?
                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                               ^~~~
             ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS(2);
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:373:24: error: ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE3_FD_EXT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE0_FD_EXT’?
                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                               ^~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:387:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS’
             ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS(3);
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:375:24: error: ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE3_OFFSET_EXT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE0_OFFSET_EXT’?
                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                               ^~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:387:13: note: in expansion of macro ‘ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS’
             ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS(3);
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
../video/out/opengl/hwdec_vaegl.c:377:24: error: ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE3_PITCH_EXT’ undeclared (first use in this function); did you mean ‘EGL_DMA_BUF_PLANE0_PITCH_EXT’?
                        ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                               ^~~~
             ADD_PLANE_ATTRIBS(3);
             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Waf: Leaving directory `/home/pi/Vidware_Build/mpv/build'
Build failed
 -> task in 'objects' failed with exit status 1 (run with -v to display more information)

gingis

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:08 pm

i tried also with
uDistributor ID: Raspbian
Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.11 (stretch)
Release: 9.11
Codename: stretch
and there are also errors

Checking for Raspberry Pi support                                 : no 
You manually enabled the feature 'rpi', but the autodetection check failed.

------------------------------
Now building mpv. This will take about 2 minutes.

The project was not configured: run "waf configure" first!

Now installing mpv. This will take about 1 minute.

checkinstall 1.6.2, Copyright 2009 Felipe Eduardo Sanchez Diaz Duran
           This software is released under the GNU GPL.

The package documentation directory ./doc-pak does not exist. 
Should I create a default set of package docs?  [y]: y

Preparing package documentation...OK

**** Debian package creation selected ***

This package will be built according to these values: 

0 -  Maintainer: [ [email protected] ]
1 -  Summary: [ Package created with checkinstall 1.6.2 ]
2 -  Name:    [ mpv ]
3 -  Version: [ 0.29.0 ]
4 -  Release: [ 1 ]
5 -  License: [ GPL ]
6 -  Group:   [ checkinstall ]
7 -  Architecture: [ armhf ]
8 -  Source location: [ mpv ]
9 -  Alternate source location: [  ]
10 - Requires: [  ]
11 - Provides: [ mpv ]
12 - Conflicts: [  ]
13 - Replaces: [  ]

Enter a number to change any of them or press ENTER to continue: 

Installing with ./waf install...

========================= Installation results ===========================
The project was not configured: run "waf configure" first!

****  Installation failed. Aborting package creation.

Cleaning up...OK

Please advise on how to proceed, thank you!

gingis

Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:15 pm

the rror i get is

this on a fresh installation of Raspbian Stretch -

is this because i am using Raspberry Pi2?

gravityaddiction

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:16 pm

gingis wrote:
I believe so Yes, i have only tested it on 3a+, 3b+ and 4b+

gravityaddiction

Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:27 pm

Viniuau wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:54 am
I've used gravityaddiction's script and it works great, but I doesn't compile with Lua support.
What could it be? It's a main problem for me as I use it mainly to play YouTube videos and to use other Lua scripts. And the OSC is very handy.

It's a bit odd that lua support isn't compiled for you. I was just able to successfully test it with the mpv.io example. I put the script into

~/.config/mpv/scripts/

airon11

Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:18 pm

I was able to run the script and compile everything without errors in my raspberry pi 4 with raspbian latest...but when i start a video with mpv i get:

Playing: 2020.AMA.Supercross.Rd.09.Atlanta.720p.HDTV.x264-WRCR.mkv
(+) Video --vid=1 (*) (h264 1280x720 59.940fps)
(+) Audio --aid=1 --alang=eng (*) (aac 2ch 48000Hz)
Using hardware decoding (mmal).
AO: [alsa] 48000Hz stereo 2ch float
VO: [rpi] 1280x720 mmal
* failed to add service - already in use?

any help please?
thank you

gingis

Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:33 am

gingis wrote:
the rror i get is

this on a fresh installation of Raspbian Stretch -

can play bluray even on the raspberry pi1 model+, so i think it should not be problem to adapt the script for the raspberry pi2?
or are there so big differences between model 2 and 3?

Thank you!

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”