henryjfry

Kingston SDHC Woes

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:32 am

Hello

Got myself a Kingston 8gb Micro SDHC card (SDC10/8GB Class 10) to replace a knackered san disk card and am having real problems with it (the new kingston that is).

I have tried it in a Pi 2 and a Pi 3 with different results but little success. Its not recognized in the Pi 2, it is recognized in the Pi 3 but with massive amounts of corruption to eventually fail to boot anything.
The first image i wrote to the card after I opened it was a copy of the file system on the corrupt sd card (which I was able to boot and backup before it failed permanently, this san disk card now wont be recognized as a valid device in anything I have tried it in, so its totally dead).

This image of the corrupt SD wrote back to another San Disk i had lying around (32gb class 6, which may also be corrupt hence it being spare) and works fine but just wont work when I try to write it to the this new kingston card.

Could writing the corrupt image have broken the card right off the bat?
Or do you think its a fake maybe?

I have noticed the write speed in etcher/windiskimager is only like 3.5Mb/s which I would have thought is way too slow for a class 10. But it starts a lot faster then slows down after a certain point, like its bad?
Every time i have written an image to it, its taken like an hour to write and verify which is suspiciously slow to me.

Would I be able to low level format either card to recover them as usable media, does anyone know?
Preferably on windows as I don't have a usb card reader i can plug into a pi.

Cheers

henryjfry

Re: Kingston SDHC Woes

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:57 am

Ok further information, tried to run the osmc installer on the card and while the PI 3 did initially boot and started the installer it failed reporting "couldnt mount root fs".

So id say the card probably was never going to work.

pcmanbob

Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Well I use 8Gb micro SD cards class 4 in all of my pi's and don't have any problems, were did you get the card from ?
I would think it's unlikely to be a fake at 8Gb, but it might be worth testing it just in case.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

HawaiianPi

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:02 pm

You're not the first person to report problems with Kingston cards. I don't know if it's the whole Kingston brand, or just certain models, but Kingston cards have been troublesome for a lot of people when used in Raspberry Pi computers.

I've had good luck with Samsung (EVO+, EVO Select and Pro), Silicone Power, Transcend and PNY. The Samsung EVO+ cards are significantly faster and are pretty much my GoTo cards for Pi computers, although there is a newer EVO "Plus" model now that some have reported as being slower. I bought a couple of those, but I've not had time to test them yet (in addition to the normal holiday madness, we are moving as well).

You can reformat your cards with the SD Association's SD Card Formatter to restore full capacity.
SD Memory Card Formatter 5.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:29 pm

HawaiianPi wrote: You're not the first person to report problems with Kingston cards. I don't know if it's the whole Kingston brand, or just certain models, but Kingston cards have been troublesome for a lot of people when used in Raspberry Pi computers.
Not that I recall - about a quarter of the cards I've used, w/o problems, in most models of Pi, are Kingston brand (mainly bought from a known, trusted supplier used "pre-Pi"):
http://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi ... cards.html
None of them, however, are >16Gb and there were certainly issues with cards >4Gb used with built-in card slots to the point of the use of external USB readers/writers being recommended.
Trev.
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

rafamartinez

Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:07 pm

I have been using Kingston class 4 sd cards for about 3 years now with my pi project. I have set up about 50 RPI s starting with version 1 to the 3 and now 3 b+. Every time it is as simple as dd cloning an image on to my new card. I have also used Kingston AND Maxell class 10 cards with now problems. HOWEVER, this last week I have had big issues with an umber of class 10 Kingston cards that I was about to set up. As it turns out I was COMPLETELY unable to clone my image into these cards. Furthermore, in the troubleshooting process, I noticed that I was simply unable to format any of the class 10 cards that I have as EXT3 or EXT4, they WILL format no problema as FAT32 . I have been using gparted for this. It appears that some batch of these cards have issues.

pcmanbob

Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:29 am

Hi.

Is it possible that these are fake SD cards ?

try formatting the card as fat then try putting 16Gb of data on them like pictures for example or use one of the SD card tester programs to test them, can advise of one suitable for Linux only use one for windows.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

Return to “Troubleshooting”