dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: HDMI Audio Drops Out Periodically

Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:25 pm

damis

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:48 pm

You can dismiss my previous message as I found the problem.

It was a setting in Kodi (Adjust display refresh rate to match video) that was set to on.
Apparently, the feeds causing the problem must have had a variable refresh rate and was causing the sound on my AVR to mute.

dom

Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:04 pm

damis wrote:You can dismiss my previous message as I found the problem.

It was a setting in Kodi (Adjust display refresh rate to match video) that was set to on.
Apparently, the feeds causing the problem must have had a variable refresh rate and was causing the sound on my AVR to mute.
As mentioned in the linked faq, you can avoid this with:

Code: Select all

hdmi_clock_change_limit=20

added to config.txt.

Keeping "Adjust display refresh rate..." does allow smoother video.

Dr. Bunsen

Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:09 pm

I have had this issue with both the old pi and the new one.

The fix was painfully easy, add the line "config_hdmi_boost=4" to /flash/config.txt

SquarePegRoundHole

Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:50 pm

Thanks so much. Was having the same issue on my raspberry pi 2 running the latest OSMC with DTS ES. Adding config_hdmi_boost=4 fixed my problem completely. Was just about to overclock too ;-)

pontypool

Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:44 pm

I Don't know if this is related, but my audio is also HDMI. And the audi randomly cuts out and requires a restart to cone back,on.

Stopping and restarting the video doesn't fix it. Even if I start from the beginning. Even playing a different audio/ video file won't work, you have to restart.

I have recently purchased the official raspberry pi psu to hopefully diagnose/ fix crash problems, so far no crashes OR audio muting , so touch wood.
As well as switching psus , I went and had a look at the audi output. Settings on openelec.
I saw HDMI audio was selected, so alerted it to HDMI/analogue, I'm thinking if it's better suited to play lower quality audio, for example on YouTube , possibly this will give less, or no audio problems??

I see people add a line to config txt , where is that file in my berryboot / openelec setup and can I add it from within openelec?

If I still get a problem I'll report back.

pontypool

Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Yep crashes still gone , but audio still randomly goes mute , is there a way to get it started without a restart??

rg57

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:12 pm

For me, none of the recommended solutions to the HDMI audio drop-out problem worked. My problem went away completely when I overclocked my Raspberry Pi 2, running OSMC.

I kept the CPU unchanged, but I increased the GPU/RAM both to 500 MHz, and upped the voltage by "2" (which worked with the white Raspberry Pi power supply that came with my kit). I had already set GPU memory to 320 MB, which is probably necessary. My CPU has not exceeded 45°C (it's in a metal FLIRC case) even while watching 1080p 60fps video. It should be noted that I have not tried viewing any MPEG2 stream, but I suspect that with the key purchase, it would also work well.

I credit user "Str1fed" on silicondust.com for publishing their solution to this problem, giving me the idea to try overclocking, although my values are slightly different, from haydenjames.io.

These values can all be changed from within the "My OSMC" app. The overclock settings are at the Overclock icon. The other settings are in the Pi Config icon (although you can manually add the overclock settings there too).

Code: Select all

sdram_freq=500
core_freq=500
over_voltage=2
gpu_mem=320

ttrenton

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:33 am

Hi Everyone

Hardware: Raspberry-PI3 model B

I'm having the same issue as many of you, except my audio drops out every 30sec-1min or so; for about 10-15secs. It occurs the on both OS's I use: Raspbian and RetroPie. What's odd is I've had the R-PI3 for over 2 weeks without the audio problem and all of sudden it started happening. It makes me think is if there is a design flaw related to the hdmi on the RPie, that only happends to a certain % of customers. For the same problem to occur on two different OS's leads me to think there is a hardware problem

bacteng

Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:58 am

I have a rasberry pi 3 & am having the same issues. This happens with rasplex & libreelec. When playing a plex Playlist of 12 videos, the issue doesn't start until about video 8 or 9

Mounir

Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:38 am

Hi i have try anything and its really frustrating
I manually put in the line hdmi_clock_change_limit=40
In config file because I can't do it with ssh in openelec I hope some one can fix this?
Or any advice?

SteveH

Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:26 pm

I have had the same problem of audio dropping out for a few seconds but returning in sync. The conclusion I came to was that the dynamic clock control was winding down the clock frequency so much that there wasn't time for the audio to be decoded before it was needed. The fix I used was to increase the minimum clock frequency for both the ARM and the GPU by adding the following entries in config.txt:

arm_freq_min=710
core_freq_min=270

The values may need tweaking depending on how fast your silicon is and which codecs you are using (some are accelerated on the ARM and others on the GPU).

Return to “Troubleshooting”