kings

Installing debian x86 for PC partition

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:10 am

I recently installed Raspbian on an old PC using a new HD and it worked nicely. Now I would like to do it with the same PC but using a hardrive that was previously used to boot windows and store user files. I intend to remove the windows OS and application directories, but would like to keep the user directories (very large) as is.

The hardrive is currently formatted as a single partition. I understand I can add a 2nd partition for Raspbian, but its not clear to me if the install process will assist with creation of a new partition, or whether I need to do it using other tools. Obviously, I would like to get this right in advance as to not delete my user files.

Any help much appreciated.

The Traveler

Re: Installing Raspbian for PC partitian

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:22 am

In most Linux distros you will be presented with an option to "Install linux alongside Windows" or something similar. It's usually an automatic process and the Linux installer will suggest defaults, etc, and ask your for confirmation before making changes to the disk. However, as with all things like this, I heartily suggest you backup your files first just in case.

One other consideration, most newer PCs use UEFI and not the older BIOS installs for software on hard drives. Do not install Linux as UEFI if you have Windows installed using the older BIOS method. Chances are it will bork your install and make your Windows unbootable. The Linux installer should warn you before hand.

Cheers.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

kings

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:42 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a backup(!), but this is the backup to the backup and I would prefer to keep it around. Just trying to hijack a small amount to have another linux box in the mix (the PC was crashing frequently but seems stable when I ran Rasbian on a new HD).

Here are some options from the installer menu...in both cases, I am a bit fuzzy at to which ones to choose to accomplish non-destructive partitioning:

The Traveler

Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:10 am

Yep, Debian is a bit more "do it yourself". As I recall, "guided" will still give you the chance to review partitioning changes before committing. The LVM setups won't apply really to what you want to do so you could ignore them. As an aside, I've been using Lubuntu for GUI boxes (nice and lightweight) and Ubuntu Server for headless in place of pure Debian and it's worked very well.

[EDIT] I remember why I moved away from Debian. I had some problems with the GRUB installer on UEFI hardware. It failed. Could have been my hardware but the Ubuntu GRUB worked perfectly on both standard BIOS and UEFI on the same boxes.

Hope I didn't muddy the waters ...

Cheers.
Retired IT professional, C programmer and "beardie weirdie".
RPi interests: Developing an Infinite Improbability Drive
“Thinking outside of the box allows you to get rewards outside of your reach.” Matshona Dhliwayo

fruitoftheloom

Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:15 am

kings wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:10 am
I recently installed Raspbian on an old PC using a new HD and it worked nicely. Now I would like to do it with the same PC but using a hardrive that was previously used to boot windows and store user files. I intend to remove the windows OS and application directories, but would like to keep the user directories (very large) as is.

The hardrive is currently formatted as a single partition. I understand I can add a 2nd partition for Raspbian, but its not clear to me if the install process will assist with creation of a new partition, or whether I need to do it using other tools. Obviously, I would like to get this right in advance as to not delete my user files.

Any help much appreciated.

Raspbian is not available for x86 CPU Architecture, therefore have you actually installed Debian with Raspberry Pi Dedktop ??

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/r ... i-desktop/
Adieu

kings

Re: Installing debian x86 for PC partition

Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:00 pm

Fruit,

Yes, I guess you are right...Debian Jessie with Raspberry Desktop. In my prior attempt, I was able to upgrade to Stretch, though with a few errors.

Return to “Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC and Mac”