TheKox25
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:18 pm

Booting from USB

Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:40 pm

Hi, I have thought of enabling "Mass Storage booting" on my Raspberry Pi 3. From what I've read that process is irreversible. Does that mean that I will be able to boot from USB and no more from SD card? Or I'll be able to boot from USB or SD card?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19353
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Booting from USB

Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:52 pm

TheKox25 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:40 pm
Hi, I have thought of enabling "Mass Storage booting" on my Raspberry Pi 3. From what I've read that process is irreversible. Does that mean that I will be able to boot from USB and no more from SD card? Or I'll be able to boot from USB or SD card?

Boot Flow

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... bootmodes/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3747
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Booting from USB

Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:56 pm

You will still be able to boot from an SD card.

The Pi3 will check for a boot SD card first, before booting from a USB device. If no boot SD card is found in 5 seconds, then it looks for a boot USB device. So even if the boot USB device is still connected, inserting an SD card will override it.

Also note that not all USB devices are compatible with the simple Pi3 bootloader. Of the various devices I tried, none worked reliably for me, so I have gone back to the older method of having it boot from an SD card, then load and run the OS from an SSD drive. I am still able to do that, even after setting the OTP bit that enabled USB booting. I can also insert a stand alone boot SD card and my SSD will not be used at all.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 9873
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Booting from USB

Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:07 pm

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:56 pm
You will still be able to boot from an SD card.

The Pi3 will check for a boot SD card first, before booting from a USB device. If no boot SD card is found in 5 seconds, then it looks for a boot USB device. So even if the boot USB device is still connected, inserting an SD card will override it.

Also note that not all USB devices are compatible with the simple Pi3 bootloader. Of the various devices I tried, none worked reliably for me, so I have gone back to the older method of having it boot from an SD card, then load and run the OS from an SSD drive. I am still able to do that, even after setting the OTP bit that enabled USB booting. I can also insert a stand alone boot SD card and my SSD will not be used at all.
I've using a WD 314GB PiDrive with no issues, as well and a CM3L (the "guts" of a Pi3B in a small form factor) in a WD SATA adapter booting from an SSD. Both have been reliable.

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3747
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Booting from USB

Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:17 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:07 pm
I've using a WD 314GB PiDrive with no issues, as well and a CM3L (the "guts" of a Pi3B in a small form factor) in a WD SATA adapter booting from an SSD. Both have been reliable.
Yup, some devices work fine. Just none that I have tried. There is a small list of compatible devices in the documentation. In my case I tried an SSD on an mSATA-USB adapter, a couple of different flash drives and a USB HDD. Most of them booted fine but had problems with restart and/or shutdown. I've seen others post about similar problems, so my experience is not unique.

I'm sure if i tried every USB MSD in my rather extensive collection I could find something that worked, but I'm fine with leaving /boot on the SD card and running the OS from SSD. It's 100% reliable (boot, restart and shutdown all function as expected), and the boot time is actually quicker since there is no 5 second SD card timeout.

Supposedly there is a way to set another OTP bit and skip the SD check with some GPIO pins, which I may look into eventually, but for now it works and I have other things with higher priorities at the moment.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

willirl
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:07 pm

Re: Booting from USB

Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:28 pm

Can you please tell me how to set up everything to do the boot from the sd and get the OS from an ssd?

RonR
Posts: 278
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:29 pm
Location: US

Re: Booting from USB

Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:32 pm

willirl wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:28 pm
Can you please tell me how to set up everything to do the boot from the sd and get the OS from an ssd?
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=196778

stuartiannaylor
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:55 pm

Re: Booting from USB

Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Just been having a look at https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/ub ... xt4.img.xz and seems to be fine on a USB stick.

Just wondering is there a way to force USB even when a SD card with OS is in place?

User avatar
HawaiianPi
Posts: 3747
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:53 am
Location: Aloha, Oregon USA

Re: Booting from USB

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:22 am

stuartiannaylor wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:17 pm
Just wondering is there a way to force USB even when a SD card with OS is in place?
The default is to boot from SD card first. You can only change that by setting an additional OPT bit, and then your system will not boot at all unless you pull certain GPIO pins high or low to tell it to boot from either USB or SD card.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ootflow.md
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

stuartiannaylor
Posts: 167
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:55 pm

Re: Booting from USB

Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:13 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:22 am
stuartiannaylor wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:17 pm
Just wondering is there a way to force USB even when a SD card with OS is in place?
The default is to boot from SD card first. You can only change that by setting an additional OPT bit, and then your system will not boot at all unless you pull certain GPIO pins high or low to tell it to boot from either USB or SD card.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ootflow.md
Thanks.

Return to “Beginners”