Jinkama

AIY Demo and Pi Zero W Help

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:04 am

Hi I"m new to pi and got a AIY Kit from a friend. I used the guide here and I set it up with my pi zero w and the Check audio and Check Wifi script worked just fine, but when i try to run the assistant_grpc_demo.py it just returns "Illegal Instruction" and nothing else. I thought maybe I set it up wrong, but I put the sd card in my friend's pi3 and all the demos ran fine. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong with the pi zero w?

fruitoftheloom

Re: AIY Demo and Pi Zero W Help

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:31 pm

Jinkama wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:04 am
Hi I"m new to pi and got a AIY Kit from a friend. I used the guide here and I set it up with my pi zero w and the Check audio and Check Wifi script worked just fine, but when i try to run the assistant_grpc_demo.py it just returns "Illegal Instruction" and nothing else. I thought maybe I set it up wrong, but I put the sd card in my friend's pi3 and all the demos ran fine. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong with the pi zero w?

It states in the blurb to use a Raspberry Pi 3B

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/googl ... -magpi-57/

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/aiy-p ... pre-order/
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

sheridat

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:50 pm

Hi,

The old version of the software certainly did work with the W. You couldn't use the later version of the Assistant SDK because it requires an Arm V7 processor so the install.deps script didn't install the latest version.

I burnt an SD card using the new image - but I gave up after a couple of hours of trying to connect my W to the network.

I will have another go tonight

Jinkama

Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:30 pm

sheridat wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:50 pm
Hi,

The old version of the software certainly did work with the W. You couldn't use the later version of the Assistant SDK because it requires an Arm V7 processor so the install.deps script didn't install the latest version.

I burnt an SD card using the new image - but I gave up after a couple of hours of trying to connect my W to the network.

I will have another go tonight
Oh an old version works? I'll look for one when I'm home later. Do you know where I might find it? Thanks!

sheridat

Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi, I replicated your experience and got exactly the same error. I don't have the expertise to diagnose further.

There are two versions of the "AIY" software or more correctly two branches:

1. The original branch - which is the master branch and can be found here https://github.com/google/aiyprojects-r ... ree/master
2. The "new" branch which is what you will have installed from an image file.

The original "master" branch defo works on the W - if you read "HACKING.md" it tells you how to set it up on jessie if you don't have an image -which you haven't.

I ran that version for a couple of months on a W but upgraded to a Pi3 so I could use hotword triggering.

The response is quicker on a Pi3

Jinkama

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:18 pm

I downloaded the master branch you linked, but I already found an AIY image from May that still works with the pi zero w. Thanks for the info and all your help!
Last edited by Jinkama on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

sheridat

Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:51 pm

That is great news. If you have details of where you downloaded the image from, please post the url.

Jinkama

Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:51 am

I got the image from this instructable under step 2.

aku.kolu

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:15 pm

Had to make account just to post here

I had exactly the same problem, tracked it down to grpcio not working on Stretch. Jessie image and steps in HACKING.md worked out of the box, didn't have to use old image or anything.

1. Download jessie from http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... 017-07-05/
2. Flash it
3. git clone https://github.com/google/aiyprojects-raspbian.git
4. follow the steps in HACKING.md

Note that the demos with hotword triggers do not work as stated in the documentation. GRPC demo should work fine though. Also, it takes ages to install the dependencies so be patient.

Jinkama

Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:58 am

Thanks for the info aku.kolu, I think that's what sheridat was telling me to do; but just flashing the May image was simpler for me. Just had to flash the old image and setup the Google Cloud Platform project.

sheridat

Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:00 am

@Jinkama- turned out I had the original may image on a usb drive. Just to be cautious I also downloaded the one you pointed me to. I then hashed it and compared a hash of the image I already had. They are identical - so it's pukka (slang for good, solid)

Jinkama

Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Thanks sheridat, It's nice knowing that the one I got is the same as the original.

Return to “AIY Projects”