RonR

Re: Running Raspbian from USB Devices : Made Easy

Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:05 am

Brad Q wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:48 pm
You seeing any performance degradation after today's update? It included a bootloader update. It could just me. But it feels a little off? It would not necessarily be due to usb-boot.

I don't believe I'm seeing anything different or unusual here. I'll be doing some FreePBX builds this weekend and will let you know if anything out of the ordinary surfaces.

HypnoToad

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:05 am

Hi, Does this script work OK with the Raspberry Pi 4?

I'm trying to boot from an SSD connected to the USB3 port, I installed the latest Raspbian Lite - 2019-09-26-raspbian-buster-lite.zip to an SD card, and ran the script which copied the files to the SSD.

After the first reboot I got the following screen:

Have I done somthing wrong here?

RonR

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:13 am

HypnoToad wrote:
Does this script work OK with the Raspberry Pi 4?

Yes, it works fine with the Raspberry Pi 4

It appears you removed the SD card:

[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device /dev/mmcblk0p1

HypnoToad

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:23 am

RonR wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:13 am
HypnoToad wrote:
Does this script work OK with the Raspberry Pi 4?

Yes, it works fine with the Raspberry Pi 4

It appears you removed the SD card:

[ TIME ] Timed out waiting for device /dev/mmcblk0p1
That's great that it's OK with the Pi 4 :)

I did leave the SD card in while it was rebooting, and left it in - I did not remove it at all.

I'll try another SD card and see if it does the same thing.

RonR

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:55 am

HypnoToad wrote:
I installed the latest Raspbian Lite - 2019-09-26-raspbian-buster-lite.zip to an SD card, and ran the script which copied the files to the SSD.

I downloaded usb-boot (to make sure I'm using the same one you used) and did the same thing (except I used a USB 3 flash drive as I don't have a spare SSD at the moment). After the copy, I rebooted and it came right up on the USB flash drive:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ mount
/dev/sda2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime)

There are compatibility problems with the Raspberry Pi 4 USB 3 ports and some USB-SATA adapters, so you might want to try your SSD on a USB 2 port or try a USB flash drive if you still have problems.

HypnoToad

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:19 am

RonR wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:55 am
HypnoToad wrote:
I installed the latest Raspbian Lite - 2019-09-26-raspbian-buster-lite.zip to an SD card, and ran the script which copied the files to the SSD.

I downloaded usb-boot (to make sure I'm using the same one you used) and did the same thing (except I used a USB 3 flash drive as I don't have a spare SSD at the moment). After the copy, I rebooted and it came right up on the USB flash drive:

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ mount
/dev/sda2 on / type ext4 (rw,noatime)

There are compatibility problems with the Raspberry Pi 4 USB 3 ports and some USB-SATA adapters, so you might want to try your SSD on a USB 2 port or try a USB flash drive if you still have problems.
Ok, I tried it on a USB 2 port and it worked straight away, it looks like my USB-to-SATA adaptor is the issue.

After some searching using the 'lsusb' command it turns out that using adding `usb-storage.quirks=0080:a001:u` to the `cmdline.txt` seems to fix things for me. I've now plugged it back up to the USB 3.0 port and it's now working.

Thanks! :)

Return to “Advanced users”