gabrielkrell
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Sticker on back of Pi 3

Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:05 pm

Does anybody know what the sticker on the back of the Pi 3 is, or how to get to it from software? It seems to be unique to each Pi. There's a Stack Exchange question about it but nobody seems to know.
Image
I'd like to use it to help people get to their Pis in an education setting.

Heater
Posts: 18516
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: Sticker on back of Pi 3

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:06 pm

I have no idea. All I know is the numbers on the Pi 3 that I have are different. Could be date codes, batch numbers, whatever.

I also have no idea how knowing what all that means is required to "help people get to their Pis in an education setting"

What do you mean by that?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14968
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Sticker on back of Pi 3

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:32 pm

I believe the second number (4 digits) is week of board manufacture in the form of YYWW. I have a Pi2B with 1401 there, for instance. Whether or not that information is available to software...dunno. Not likely, though since it would not have a fixed relationship to when the SoC was manufactured.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 19040
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Sticker on back of Pi 3

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:46 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:32 pm
I believe the second number (4 digits) is week of board manufacture in the form of YYWW. I have a Pi2B with 1401 there, for instance. Whether or not that information is available to software...dunno. Not likely, though since it would not have a fixed relationship to when the SoC was manufactured.
It is unlikely that the Pi 3B in the picture was also manufactured in the first week of 2014. I'd say the last 4 digit number will be the YYWW manufacture date. Week 18 of 2016 sounds more likely.

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 5441
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: Sticker on back of Pi 3

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:57 pm

To use them to identify, you could use the QR code (a 'Data Matrix').
I just scanned it with my Android app (momento database) and it picked the number up.
So using momento I could create a database easily to find which pi it is ( and add anything that may be useful, though that depends more on the SD card in it.)

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14968
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Sticker on back of Pi 3

Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:46 am

rpdom wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:46 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:32 pm
I believe the second number (4 digits) is week of board manufacture in the form of YYWW. I have a Pi2B with 1401 there, for instance. Whether or not that information is available to software...dunno. Not likely, though since it would not have a fixed relationship to when the SoC was manufactured.
It is unlikely that the Pi 3B in the picture was also manufactured in the first week of 2014. I'd say the last 4 digit number will be the YYWW manufacture date. Week 18 of 2016 sounds more likely.
Good point. The final ones on my Pi2B are 1545, which is reasonable for that board.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 29345
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Sticker on back of Pi 3

Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:37 am

It's a Sony tracking sticker for quality control so they can track when/where it was made etc, in case there are issues.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

gabrielkrell
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:59 pm

Re: Sticker on back of Pi 3

Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:42 am

Thanks for the info everyone! It sounds like it isn't accessible from software, which is too bad, but makes sense. I wish there was a sticker with the MAC address or some similar unique ID. Special thanks to jamesh; I'll put in a (partial) answer to that SE question since we've got an authoritative source :)

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14968
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Sticker on back of Pi 3

Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:46 pm

jamesh wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:37 am
It's a Sony tracking sticker for quality control so they can track when/where it was made etc, in case there are issues.
Well...inventory tracking I'll accept. The Sony part, I'm not so sure about. Comparing two Pi2Bv1.1 boards, the one with a sticker like the one the OP cites is marked "Made in PRC". The other one has a much simpler sticker, just a QR block and text of "16/01" and is "Made in the UK".

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 29345
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Sticker on back of Pi 3

Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:09 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:46 pm
jamesh wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:37 am
It's a Sony tracking sticker for quality control so they can track when/where it was made etc, in case there are issues.
Well...inventory tracking I'll accept. The Sony part, I'm not so sure about. Comparing two Pi2Bv1.1 boards, the one with a sticker like the one the OP cites is marked "Made in PRC". The other one has a much simpler sticker, just a QR block and text of "16/01" and is "Made in the UK".
Different factories use different stickers I believe. When I asked the guy who knows about this I showed him one of my boards as an example, which was made in the Sony factory.

My mistake.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

Return to “General discussion”