HawaiianPi

(Old and now obsolete) REVIEW: X850 mSATA SSD storage expansion board

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:11 pm

EDIT (April 2019):
So this thread now spans 5 pages of mostly people who bought one complaining about how it doesn't reboot reliably. Well, I mentioned that in my review, so I'm not sure why people who want no-SD card boot are buying x850 boards. :?

Anyway... I thought this was pretty cool when I first bought it, and /boot on SD card didn't bother me (that much). However, incompatibility with cases, the higher price of mSATA drives, and the high price of the board itself dimmed my enthusiasm for the x850. As I've mentioned in subsequent posts, it's just an overpriced USB-SATA adapter, that doesn't even do what most people want (no-SD card boot and reboot).

I have since moved on to simpler, more affordable and more reliable solutions (inexpensive USB-SATA adapter cables/enclosures).
The USB3-SATA3 adapter cable above costs $8.27 today ($6.99 when I bought it), and the 128GB 2.5 inch SATA SSD is around $20.

But what about my mSATA SSD? Well, that's in this tiny USB 3.0 enclosure (which boots and reboots my 3B+ perfectly).

Note that not all USB-SATA adapter cables and enclosures boot and reboot reliably (but at least they're cheap).

Original Review...
The product I'm reviewing is the Geekworm Raspberry Pi X850 mSATA SSD storage expansion board that I ordered from Amazon in the USA.

This product seems to be available under several different brand names from different sellers. Geekworm had the best price I could find, and it was slightly less expensive from the Geekworm AliExpress store, but I'm an Amazon Prime member and get free 2-day shipping (as opposed to 2-3 week shipping from China), so it was worth an extra couple of bucks to get it quickly.

Product page from Amazon USA:
Geekworm Raspberry Pi X850 mSATA SSD Storage Expansion Board

Similar product from Amazon UK:
MakerHawk Raspberry Pi X850 mSATA SSD Storage Expansion Board

So what is this thing anyway?

It's basically an mSATA SSD to USB adapter board designed to fit on the Raspberry Pi B+, 2B and 3B, and any future models that follow the same form factor. It allows you to easily mount an mSATA SSD on top of your Raspberry Pi and connect it to a USB port. The kit includes everything you'll need to mount an mSATA SSD, except the mSATA SSD itself, and it even includes a USB A-A cable to connect it to your main PC for imaging the SSD.

What is an "mSATA" SSD?

It's a tiny SSD designed to fit into portable devices like media players, tablets and ultra small or thin computers, like Netbooks and Ultrabooks. The advantage of using an mSATA SSD is that it will fit inside the footprint of a Raspberry Pi3, while a normal 2.5 inch drive is already larger than the Pi3 before you even add any adapters. This adapter fits full size mSATA SSD drives (they also come in half-size).

Left to right, 2.5" HDD, Raspberry Pi2, Raspberry Pi Zero, mSATA SSD.
As you can see, a 30x50mm mSATA SSD is smaller than a 30x65mm Raspberry Pi Zero!

Aren't SSD drives way more expensive than SD cards?

The price of SSD drives have fallen to the point that a 128GB SSD drive can be had for around the same price as a good quality, high-speed 128GB Micro-SD card (I'm talking genuine brand name cards, not the fake crap you find on ebay). I actually got one for less than $50, but it was some off-brand that arrived DOA, so I returned it and ordered one from a more reputable company. There were several to choose from in the $60-$70 price range, and after comparing specs and reviews I settled on the MyDigitalSSD Super Boot 2 at $64.99, which makes it slightly more expensive than a Samsung EVO+ SD card, but significantly less than the Pro card. If you want to go larger, you'll find the price of 256GB SSD drives vs SD cards even more favorable, and you can get mSATA SSDs up to 1TB (Samsung even makes a 2TB, but they only sell in an enclosure as the T3 Portable SSD).

Why would you want to use an SSD over an SD card? Aren't they both flash memory devices?

That's true, but they are designed for very different purposes. SD cards are optimized for sequential read and write. They are designed to read or write one file at a time, and that's great for cameras (what they were designed to be used in), but terrible for a computer OS that frequently bounces all over, reading and writing many files in different places (which crushes SD card performance). SD cards and USB flash drives are simple devices with low power processors that don't cope well with complex or random I/O.

SSD drives, on the other hand, are designed to be computer OS drives. They have more powerful processors and other performance enhancing features that not only make them much faster, but also make them more robust devices that are less likely to fail or corrupt data. While the raw speed of an SSD will be hampered by the USB 2.0 interface of the current generation Raspberry Pi computers, the other performance enhancing features will still make it noticeably faster (and more reliable) than an SD card or USB flash drive.

Why did I choose this particular adapter over some others that are out there?

Two reasons...

First, this adapter fits mostly over the Ethernet and USB ports, while others fit more like a HAT and completely cover the top of the Pi (one even plugs into the GPIO header, even though it uses none of the pins for power or data). I like that the X850 leaves the CPU area more open so less heat will be trapped when I'm pushing my little Pi3 hard. I also like that it's narrow, so it leaves the GPIO pins easily accessible.

Second, it supports USB 3.0 speeds. Now you might be thinking that the Pi3 is only USB 2.0, and you'd be right, but that may (and likely will) change with future models, and that makes this adapter more future-proof than the USB 2.0 ones.

Is it easy to install and use?

The Geekworm AliExpress product page has detailed instructions with pictures, but suffice it to say it is very easy to install. Just 4 screws, 2 washers and two spacers for the board, a couple more screws for the mSATA SSD drive, and a cool little USB port bridge to make the power+I/O connection. From there you can use Linux dd or the SD Card Copier utility (recommended) to clone your SD card to the SSD, and with a couple of tweaks to the OS you'll be up and running from the SSD drive. Another option to image the SSD is to use the included USB 3.0 A-A cable to connect the SSD to your main PC and use Etcher to write a Raspbian image directly to the drive (very quickly at USB 3.0 speeds).

With the Pi3 you can do a pure USB boot with no SD card (the newer Pi2 with the Pi3 64-bit SoC might be compatible as well). For the other Pi models you will need to start the boot process with the SD card, but you can load and run the root OS from the SSD. To get the root OS running off the SSD on any model Pi you only need to edit 2 files. You need to edit /boot/cmdline.txt on the SD card and replace the PARTUUID of the SD card with that of the SSD (2nd partition), and you need to edit the /etc/fstab file on the SSD drive and replace the root mount of the 2nd SD card partition (/dev/mmcblk0p2) with the same PARUUID you put into cmdline.txt.

To get your PARTUUID, enter the following command into a terminal:

Code: Select all

ls -l /dev/disk/by-partuuid/
If your PARTUUID is "1a2b3c4d-02" (it won't be) then you would edit the files like this:

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=serial0,115200 console=tty1 root=PARTUUID=1a2b3c4d-02 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait quiet splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles

proc			/proc	proc	defaults		0       0
/dev/mmcblk0p1		/boot	vfat	defaults		0       2
# was /dev/mmcblk0p2 now PARTUUID of SSD
PARTUUID=1a2b3c4d-02	/	ext4	defaults,noatime	0       1
# a swapfile is not a swap partition, no line here
#   use  dphys-swapfile swap[on|off]  for that
For pure USB boot on the Pi3 you'll need to set a special boot flag, which is an OTP bit in the SoC. OTP stands for one-time-programmable, and yes, that means the change is permanent and cannot be undone. But don't panic! The change will not affect your ability to boot from an SD card. The Pi3 will check for a boot SD card before it looks for a boot USB drive, so a bootable SD card has priority and will be used instead of the USB device. If no boot SD card is found after 5 seconds the boot USB device will be used.

If your Pi3 was purchased recently, it might already have that bit programmed, as I have heard it might be done in production models once the USB boot code was deemed stable (but I don't know if that has been done yet). To check it, open a terminal and enter the following command:

vcgencmd otp_dump | grep 17:
If you get a response of 17:3020000a then your USB boot bit has already been set. If you have a 1 where the 3 is, then you'll need to program that bit. To do that add program_usb_boot_mode=1 to the end of your config.txt file (in the boot partition) then reboot your Pi3 and check the bit again. Once you get the correct output you can delete that line, because it is no longer needed.

I am actually booting my Pi3 from SD and loading the root OS from the SSD, because I tried pure USB boot and found it problematic. Power-on boot worked fine, but restart and shutdown were unreliable (worked sometimes and failed others). It's also faster than pure USB boot due to the delay of checking for an SD card before booting from USB. There is supposed to be a way to jumper some GPIO pins to skip the SD card check, but I haven't looked into that since I had other problems with USB boot. With /boot on the SD card, restart and shutdown work perfectly.

Does it use a lot of power?

Power demand will go up by a few hundred milliamps when the SSD is very busy, but most of the time it will be much less. The specs for the drive I'm using are 1.85W under max load, and 280mW at idle (at 3.3V). That works out to roughly 370mA at 5V for max load, and 56mA at idle (plus any efficiency losses from the voltage conversion).

So how does an SSD perform on a Pi3?

The speed is restricted by the USB 2.0 port, so you won't see the huge jump in performance you'd see on a computer with native SATA support, but it is still a very noticeable improvement. Even the best Micro-SD cards don't offer anywhere near the performance of a relatively inexpensive SSD drive. They aren't designed to do the same job, and SD cards are not designed to be computer OS drives.

The system boots faster and runs smoother. You don't get a lot of the little pauses and stutters that are caused by SD card access. It's much more fluid in operation, and that makes the whole computer feel faster overall. So while it won't make games actually run faster, it will make using your Raspberry Pi3 more enjoyable.

I also ordered a new case to go along with the SSD adapter, because this definitely won't fit in the standard style case.

The case I ordered is the JBtek Transparent Acrylic Raspberry Pi B+ / Raspberry Pi 2 Case with External Fan, which is one of the cases with a flat acrylic top and bottom with spacers in between and no sides. I figured it would be simple to extend the space between the top and bottom for more room if needed (it was needed, and it was simple, and I also moved the fan to the top for more clearance).

I like the case, but the fan is loud, so I'll be replacing it with something quieter. You don't need a leaf blower to cool a Pi3. They don't produce enough heat to need more than a low CFM fan. Most people won't even need a fan at all (especially with an open case like this).
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:28 am, edited 6 times in total.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

broe23

Re: REVIEW: X850 mSATA SSD storage expansion board

Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:30 pm

The only issue that I see is trying to get a RTC board in there also. It would be nice if they did incorporate the RTC into that mSATA board. It would also make it more stable.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

HawaiianPi

Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:21 am

Which RTC board do you have, and how tall is it?

The mSATA board sits higher than many HAT boards because it's over the USB & Ethernet ports. There's actually quite a bit of room underneath. I've recently mounted a thin 40mm fan between the SSD and SoC heatsink. If I can fit that in there, surely a clock board could be made to fit.

broe23

Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:13 am

It is a discontinued Seedstudio. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MD ... UTF8&psc=1 I know that there are others out there, just have to find one that may work and add it to your parts list. The big question is if the Pi can use a 1TB mSATA card. That would make it a plus for being able to load up a bunch of audio. A smaller card would allow for just a running program for a server or data collection.

It is about the size of that fan, but due to they messed up the feed pins on that RTC board I have, you would have to get a fan that has separate female pins to allow you to hook it up on that hat.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good.

HawaiianPi

Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:54 am

The Linux ext4 file system can handle any size drive that is available today, and in the foreseeable future (we're talking Exabyte). There's no reason a 1TB SSD would not work.

From the pictures of that RTC board, it looks like it could easily fit.

Most Raspberry Pi3 computers can work just fine without a fan. I tend to push mine pretty hard from time to time, but most of the time the fan is not needed. In fact, with the open case I'm now using (and the porous-ceramic heatsink) I may not need a fan at all now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rutten16

Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:39 pm

I am new here and just bought a pi3 and ROCK64.. Do you have any idea if this board would work with my ROCK64? Will it work and function properly?

It's just so much cleaner looking and compact than using an 2.5" SSD and sata3 to usb3 cable adapter..

HawaiianPi

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:01 am

Rutten16 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:39 pm
I am new here and just bought a pi3 and ROCK64.. Do you have any idea if this board would work with my ROCK64? Will it work and function properly?
I see no reason it would not work on a ROCK64 as long as the form-factor is compatible with the Raspberry Pi, which it seems to be from the pictures I've seen. It's just an mSATA-USB adapter designed to mount on a Pi, so the only thing that is Pi specific is the shape.

However, for best performance you would want to use a short USB 3.0 A-A cable to connect it to the ROCK64 USB 3.0 port. As shown in my picture above, a USB 3.0 A-A cable is included, and that should be used over the port bridge, since the bridge is USB 2.0 (and wouldn't reach the ROCK64 USB 3.0 port anyway). The cable would not be as neat and clean as the port bridge, so that's something to keep in mind.

EDIT:
I just noticed there is a new version of the kit that does not include the USB 3.0 A-A cable, so depending on which version you get when you order, you may have to source your own USB 3.0 A-A cable.
Last edited by HawaiianPi on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

fanoush

Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:29 am

Recently I got this board from ebay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-Key-M-2-NGFF ... 2227456010
and I am quite happy with it with Transcend 120GB M.2 SSD. Here is photo
m2usb3-small.jpg
m2usb3-small.jpg (124.49 KiB) Viewed 40495 times
The small cable is this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Short-10cm-USB ... 2880132911 but it also worked with regular micro usb 2.0 data cable.
EDIT:
Now I see, here it is even cheaper https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-Key-M-2-NGFF ... 2693593823 but I got it from the first link.
Also there is similar mSATA board if one prefers mSata SSD instead of M.2
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZOMY-Mini-mSAT ... 2227414903

HawaiianPi

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:57 am

fanoush wrote:
and I am quite happy with it with Transcend 120GB M.2 SSD. Here is photo
Is that an anti-static bag you have it in?

If so, that is a VERY BAD idea! Anti-static bags are electrically conductive so you DO NOT want to put a live device inside those bags. I'm surprised you didn't fry your whole system when you powered that up. :shock:

fanoush

Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:37 pm

well, yes and no :-)
btw, looks like it is not an issue anymore, but still thanks for the warning, it is probably not the best idea
https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... or-or-both
EDIT:
I measured resistance and my ZT102 multimeter shows infinity, both inside and outside so that one is pretty safe
but I have other bag with black color mesh printed on it and that one shows 25kOhm 1cm apart! but only outside, not inside

timrowledge

Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:58 pm

I'm using the 'other' sata board from SupTronics/GeekWurm, the X820. THis is a physically larger board that attaches to the Pi and can hold a sata 3.5" drive or an SSD module. I got a cheap 32GB SSD (a 'KingDian' I think) at the same time from Aliexpress.

It works really well so far (three months?) and must have taken all of 20 minutes to set up. Set the USB boot bit on the Pi, connect the X820+SSD to my iMac via USB to load it up using Etcher, connect back to Pi, boot, done. Until we get a Pi with built-in sata this will do nicely.
Making Smalltalk on ARM since 1986; making your Scratch better since 2012

HawaiianPi

Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:55 pm

timrowledge wrote:
I'm using the 'other' sata board from SupTronics/GeekWurm, the X820.
The larger 2.5 inch SSD models are less expensive than mSATA, so if you don't mind the larger form-factor it will definitely save you some money. I have a spare 128GB 2.5 inch SSD laying around that I have been meaning to experiment with. I have loads of USB adapters and enclosures that I haven't tested yet. Someday... :?

fanoush

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:22 am

timrowledge wrote:
I got a cheap 32GB SSD (a 'KingDian' I think) at the same time from Aliexpress.
I wonder how bad is cheap noname SSD quality when compared to e.g. sd cards which are often sold with fake capacity or poor quality on ebay/aliexpress. I also ordered one cheap Phison 32GB SSD as the 120GB one is too big and too good for the Pi so I wonder how bad it will be when it arrives. Lower capacities (16,32) are often slower than higher capacities of the same model even for good brands but since Pi is USB 2.0 limited at ~40MB/s it may not be a problem.

As for my setup, I'm currently not booting from it yet but I mount and use it when compiling large stuff. I stressed it for many hours/days by compiling couple of risc-v toolchains and icestorm/yosys there and even with such heavy load and power draw (make -j4) it worked just fine.

f0rd0prefect

Version History of X850 and documentation

Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Hi,
there are several hardware revisions out there. Could somebody list the versions and the change history PLS?
The documentation at http://www.raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/X850 seems to be outdated and lacks this information.
I got v1.3 (according to the backside of the board). This one has an additional connector on board and a small cable which seems to fit this connector.
I believe it's an external power connector. But I got no information with it. How do I use it?
TNX.

HawaiianPi

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:28 pm

Yes, the newer version has a power connector. It should have come with a cable that connects to GPIO pins 04 (+5V) and 06 (GND).

See this picture from the store.
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1hO6rnLDH ... pdXXaz.jpg

I'm not really sure what the point of that is. The Raspberry Pi B+ and newer can supply up to 1.2A from its USB port, which should be plenty for any mSATA SSD. I suppose if you have several power hungry USB peripherals it could help. For a typical configuration it should not be needed. My system with the older revision X850 has a keyboard, mouse and USB flash drive in addition to the mSATA SSD and it runs 24/7.

pepeEL

Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:34 pm

But what ssd disk use?
Because I have old version x850 (without power connector) and I have a problem with old disk SanDisk 16GB and ADATA 32gb Sp300. This hard drive not working correct on x850. After reboot ADATA can not boot. But SanDisk still no boot.
I also have 32gb Samsung and only this works OK.
I update firmware on x850 from support Supersonic but it nothing change.

HawaiianPi

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:15 pm

If you read my review I also had trouble with reboots. The problem is with the Raspberry Pi3B bootloader. There was very limited space on the SoC for the boot code, so the resulting bootloader is rather simple and is not compatible with all USB drives. This is not something you can fix. You either need to find a compatible device, or start the boot process from the SD card then load and run the OS from SSD.

There are 2 ways to accomplish this. The most compatible and reliable way is to keep the boot partition on the SD card. The other way is to have a FAT32 formatted SD card with only the bootcode.bin file on it.

pepeEL

Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:23 pm

But my all three ssd (SanDisk, ADATA and Samsung) works perfect on RPI3 but connected by adapter USB mSATA.

RaTTuS

Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:14 pm

I'd like to point out that the geekworm adaptor works fine on the new P3B+ for booting off an ssd
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

tkaiser

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:01 pm

timrowledge wrote:
I'm using the 'other' sata board from SupTronics/GeekWurm, the X820.
The X820 just like the X850 use both a great USB-to-SATA bridge: JMS578

But beware of the older X800 that uses a really bad USB-to-SATA bridge: GL830 (slow as hell and also eating up the last 4 sectors of every connected SATA device). Fortunately SupTronics reacted fast when confrontated with the problem some time ago: https://www.cnx-software.com/2017/03/16 ... ent-540428

For X820/X850 users who want to use these on USB3 ports (RPi 4?) it might be necessary to flash a new firmware in case the device does not announce UAS (USB Attached SCSI) capabilities or lacks full SAT (SCSI / ATA translation) and TRIM support: https://forum.armbian.com/topic/3317-or ... ta/?page=4

TRIM with SSDs is always a great idea but I doubt it works currently on the RPi due to lacking driver support even with latest JMS578 firmware flashed.

X800 (GL830): 15/30 MB/s maximum due to bad USB-to-SATA bridge
X820/X850 (JMS578): up to 400 MB/s on USB3 ports with UAS enabled and a fast SSD

pepeEL

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:12 pm

But if i use RPI3 i can now flash my X850 by this update FW ?

tkaiser

Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:26 pm

pepeEL wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:12 pm
But if i use RPI3 i can now flash my X850 by this update FW ?
Yes, simply follow the 'JMicron provided us with a firmware update tool' link in the thread I referenced. We have an ARM binary that works on all ARM boards I tested with so far. And please always backup the current firmware first as explained also there.

Somewhere around in this thread there's also another IMO minor problem referenced: cutting power to a connected SATA device hard. Latest firmware should fix this but it did not for me. There's a link to Hardkernel forum where a script has been developed by community to properly send SATA devices to sleep prior to shutdown/reboot. If you're affected or not you can check by quering SMART values of your drive and watch the 'Power-off Retract Count' attribute that reports sudden power losses a drive records.

JMS578 support in smartmontools has been added just recently so you need to add '-d sat' now:

sudo apt install smartmontools
sudo smartctl -d sat -a /dev/sda

tkaiser

Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:17 pm

fanoush wrote:
and I am quite happy with it with Transcend 120GB M.2 SSD.
The board seems to be a good choice (also a JMS578 -- but I bought two such things on Aliexpress last year that were advertised as JMS578 but Norelsys NS1068 in reality -- bad chip since broken UAS support with Linux). Anyway, I use the same Transcend SSD and bought another small JMS578 enclosure. Unfortunately the SSD got pretty hot and it was impossible to use it inside the enclosure, at least when combined with USB3/SuperSpeed. SSD temperature according to SMART exceeded 80°C and the SSD even started to throttle (from ~390 MB/s to below 30 MB/s).

Now the SSD has to wear heatsinks :)

In other words: It's worth to check the temperatures at least once in a 'full load' situation that lasts few minutes. SMART can be used for this but unfortuantely those cheap Chinese SSDs (for example KingSpec, KingDian) usually either don't report thermal values or faked ones (for example all KingDian I tested so far report 40°C all the time)

pepeEL

Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:46 pm

Please give me step by step how i can update this FW on X850... Sorry i am begginer.

pepeEL

Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:34 am

Ok i flashed my X850 but FW not change. Before and after i still have the same FW.

[email protected]:/home/pi/JMS578FwUpdater# ./JMS578FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -v
Bridge Firmware Version: v0.2.0.4

[email protected]:/home/pi/JMS578FwUpdater# ./JMS578FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -f ./JMS578_Hardkernel_v173.01.00.01.bin -b ./backup.bin
Update Firmware file name: ./JMS578_Hardkernel_v173.01.00.01.bin
Backup Firmware file name: ./backup.bin
Backup the ROM code sucessfully.
Programming & Compare Success!!

[email protected]:/home/pi/JMS578FwUpdater# ./JMS578FwUpdate -d /dev/sda -v
Bridge Firmware Version: v0.2.0.4

[email protected]:/home/pi/JMS578FwUpdater#

Return to “General discussion”