SamStarfall

Re: Raspberry Pi builtin WiFi keeps crashing

Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:30 am

Well, with the new firmware loaded in, I cannot crash it. I repeatedly downloaded a big file, and it just worked.
I swapped back in the previous debug firmware image, and it crashed within a second.
Switched to the newer firmware, and it runs without a problem.
Throughput is not great - 1.4MBytes/sec, but I have no benchmark to compare it to, and I have some reservations about my wireless router.
There was no extra debug output.
For a supposedly debug build with no fixes, that was interesting outcome.
Setup:
Pi3 is running a ether to wireless bridge, to allow a handful of ethernet only devices to connect to the internet.
Pi3 is also running a samba share, which is what exposed the problem.

I will let it run, and report anything interesting.

Cheers.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Report passed on.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

DougieLawson

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:56 pm

I've upgraded all three RPi3Bs to BRANCH=next 4.14.12-v7+ #1075 with your beta test firmware and the extra cmdline.txt parameter. So far nothing bad has happened.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

superbob666

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 pm

Can I please get the link to upgrade, so that I can try it out as well

jamesh

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:41 am

superbob666 wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:47 pm
Can I please get the link to upgrade, so that I can try it out as well
Its not an upgrade, is a debug only version of the firmware intended to help find the issue. Although so I thought. I would absolutely not recommend using it unless you are specifically looking for this bug. There could be all sort of performance issues.

However, if you are willing to help, PM you email details and I can pas on the firmware.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

robjak

Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:00 pm

I have recently started seeing this issue.

Rasbian Jessie

I never has this problem before, but i recently update/upgrade and then added I2C and a DS3231 RTC.

Wireless breaks right after a read of temperature from the RTC and a write to a usb flash drive and then I run a 6 sec iperf and log it to the usb flash.

Jan 14 07:00:01 PI3 CRON[4358]: (pi) CMD (/home/pi/t.sh)
Jan 14 07:00:01 PI3 CRON[4361]: (pi) CMD (iperf3 -c 192.168.0.1 -i 3 -t 6 >> /media/pi/DISK_IMG/iperf_test.log)
Jan 14 07:00:06 PI3 kernel: [57031.316146] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_hostmail: Unknown mailbox data content: 0x40012
Jan 14 07:00:09 PI3 kernel: [57034.284514] brcmfmac: brcmf_sdio_bus_rxctl: resumed on timeout
Jan 14 07:00:11 PI3 kernel: [57036.844505] brcmfmac: brcmf_proto_bcdc_query_dcmd: brcmf_proto_bcdc_msg failed w/status -110
Jan 14 07:00:11 PI3 kernel: [57036.844512] brcmfmac: brcmf_cfg80211_get_station: GET STA INFO failed, -110

JosAH

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:18 pm

Anything new from the Cypresss fron yet? Note that since I upgraded to the 29/11/2017 release, my problems were completely gone; my Pi's Wifi hasn't been down ever since ...

kind regards,

Jos

superbob666

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:07 am

I was having a lot of issues with the wifi, especially when accessing from S7 phone, it would crash within few seconds. I will try to update today and would report back.

@JosAH: What upgrade did you perform? Raspbian or firmware update or both?

SamStarfall

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:42 am

The updated wifi firmware is certainly a lot more stable - I have not seen the mailbox error (or any other wifi related error) since i changed to the new firmware, but every week or so the Pi3 would hard crash, no serial port, no network ping, no visible signs of life. I have nothing plugged into the HDMI port, so i don't know if it output something as it was locking up. There is nothing recorded in /var/log/messages or anywhere obvious that i can see.
I might investigate a way to safely power it down late at night, so it gets a hard reset every day.
Its not a solution or helping to find the cause of the crash, but it will be a reasonable work-around, I think.

regards,
warrick.

jamesh

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:45 pm

The reports we have had here and on github seem to say this firmware has no regressions and appears to generally be better. So we are going to push it to the repos as our standard firmware.

If anyone sees any issues, please let us know, either here or on github.

fresh

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:13 pm

jamesh wrote:
The reports we have had here and on github seem to say this firmware has no regressions and appears to generally be better. So we are going to push it to the repos as our standard firmware.

Any idea on when exactly it will be pushed? I havent tried the new firmware linked in this thread so I'd like to wait and try it from the repos.

jamesh

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:31 pm

fresh wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:13 pm
jamesh wrote:

Any idea on when exactly it will be pushed? I havent tried the new firmware linked in this thread so I'd like to wait and try it from the repos.
Guy in charge of that wasn't in today - wil ltalk to him tomorrow. A few days I suppose.

superbob666

Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi guys,

just to give update, I upgraded my Raspberry Pi 3 to http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... t1_all.deb, and everything seems to working fine. Just yesterday, there was an newer firmware released, so upgrade to it, http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/p ... t2_all.deb after that it started crashing again. I haven't look in what changed, but as soon as I reverted back to firmware-brcm80211_20161130-3+rpt1_all.deb it works perfectly.

Thanks

jamesh

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:35 pm

I believe the firmware that went live yesterday was a rollback to an easier, known working version since the latest one was having problems.

So no idea what might be going on - the one you now have does have some issues, but they are quite obscure.

starjuice

Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:15 am

jamesh wrote: I believe the firmware that went live yesterday was a rollback to an easier, known working version since the latest one was having problems.

So no idea what might be going on - the one you now have does have some issues, but they are quite obscure.
Hey what news about this issue ? My Rpi3 is affected....

superbob666

Mon May 21, 2018 10:08 pm

any update on this issue ?

Plainsman

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 pm

robjak wrote:
>> never has this problem before, but i recently update/upgrade and then added I2C and a DS3231 RTC.

>> Wireless breaks right after a read of temperature from the RTC and a write to a usb flash drive and >> then I run a 6 sec iperf and log it to the usb flash.

can add a couple of data points --
1) my pi-3b wifi was solid until I started using a USB drive;
B) it really went south using the SnapTronics ATA--->USB adapter plate with a 1Tb 2.5" seagate drive, to the extent that it's unusable. I'm using a 4A power supply the plate. This connects to the pi's USB bus.

I understand the on-pi wifi doesn't use the usb bus so I'm left wondering at a power issue near the wifi chip on the pi3.

using a Panda Wireless dongle gives me solid wifi at the cost of more USB bus use.

I'd hoped to use on-board wifi to relieve the USB bus, but it sounds like throughput isn't that great with the brcm chip anyway.

be well,
PM.

jamesh

Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:36 am

Plainsman wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:55 pm
robjak wrote:
>> never has this problem before, but i recently update/upgrade and then added I2C and a DS3231 RTC.

>> Wireless breaks right after a read of temperature from the RTC and a write to a usb flash drive and >> then I run a 6 sec iperf and log it to the usb flash.

can add a couple of data points --
1) my pi-3b wifi was solid until I started using a USB drive;
B) it really went south using the SnapTronics ATA--->USB adapter plate with a 1Tb 2.5" seagate drive, to the extent that it's unusable. I'm using a 4A power supply the plate. This connects to the pi's USB bus.

I understand the on-pi wifi doesn't use the usb bus so I'm left wondering at a power issue near the wifi chip on the pi3.

using a Panda Wireless dongle gives me solid wifi at the cost of more USB bus use.

I'd hoped to use on-board wifi to relieve the USB bus, but it sounds like throughput isn't that great with the brcm chip anyway.
E
be well,
PM.
What are the failure symptoms? Afaict, current 3b wireless should be working well.

Plainsman

Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:14 am

My Pi 3b's system software is a bit of a mashup so I could have well missed the correct update.

I'm running ubuntu linux with a RPI 4.4.50 kernel built to get temperature monitoring and a few other things working.

I've tried rpi-kernel_1.20180417-1 and rpi-firmware-stable.zip from github but haven't found either to hold anything for /lib/firmware/brcm ...

rpi-update dies at the *** Downloading specific firmware ... step - I've had constant issues with github and my 600Kbit net connection.

apt update / upgrade of linux-firmware have me at 4.4 at the "latest":
ANC01:~$ sudo apt upgrade linux-firmware
[sudo] password for XXXX:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
linux-firmware is already the newest version (1.157.19).

I'd appreciate pointers to a download / package / tar / zip with latest linux firmware, brcm firmware or an article on the right way to do this ... I don't want to wipe things clean and start over with Raspabian.

I got the mailbox issue the last time I tried, immediately after installing my 1Tb seagate, tied to a USB port on the pi.

I'll lose the panda adapter and try this again. I posted my comments above as this really seems like an interaction with USB.

sorry for the verbage ...
thanks,
PM.

jamesh

Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:28 am

TBH, the best thing to try is a new SD card with the latest Raspbian download. This is will prove whether it's your distro/setup or something else.

It's going to be impossible to set up a test device here that mimics your setup, so replicating the issue on Raspbian is the best bet.

SamStarfall

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:53 pm

All my problems with the onboard wireless went away after the last update to the kernel. Previously, I would get at most a few days of operation before the wireless driver would crap out with a mailbox error, and then later with the debug firmware it would hard freeze after about a week. I had a I2C RTC connected, which I think made the hard freezes happen more frequently.
Then, I picked up the latest kernel, and it has not blinked since.

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~# uname -a
Linux pi3 4.14.39-v7+ #1112 SMP Sat May 5 12:01:33 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux
[email protected]:~# /opt/vc/bin/vcgencmd version
May 11 2018 10:20:16 
Copyright (c) 2012 Broadcom
version aab36c8af1b6215d1b2d704cef981303a2f8022b (clean) (release)
[email protected]:~# uptime 
 09:48:57 up 45 days, 22:49,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
Note - I have not put back the RTC, since it now has better network access I have decided to just use NTP.

Warrick.

pfink

Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:21 pm

Was the fixed firmware also rolled out to Raspbian Jessie?

rpdom

Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:40 am

pfink wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:21 pm
Was the fixed firmware also rolled out to Raspbian Jessie?
Very unlikely. Jessie is old and not really supported.

Return to “Troubleshooting”