jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Analogue audio redux

Thu May 31, 2018 7:37 am

Multiple audio streams should be supported. It was one of the reasons for rewriting the buffer handling code from the first version.

Do you get the same or different behaviour if you revert to the old driver (audio_pwm_mode=1)?
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

epoch1970

Thu May 31, 2018 9:43 am

jdb wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:37 am
Do you get the same or different behaviour if you revert to the old driver (audio_pwm_mode=1)?
Thanks!

I have set audio_pwm_mode=1 on my machine.
Following the same steps as in the other post, the system behaves as expected. Streams can start/stop independently and are remixed when restarted.

(This is on a test SD, I don't care much about the system there. Let me know if you need me to further test/install stuff.)
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

niwa3836

Thu May 31, 2018 11:07 am

Hi jdb / epoch1970,

I've re-performed the test too for completeness as i have a unit that is completely fresh (3B+).
Test 1:
dtparam=audio=on
audio_pwm_mode=1
window 1: start audio (good)
window 2: start audio (good and mixing with first)
window 1, stop and restart same audio (good)
Test 2:
dtparam=audio=on
audio_pwm_mode=2
window 1: start audio (good)
window 2: start audio (good and mixing with first)
window 1, stop and restart same audio (BAD).

I love the audio quality of mode 2 (over mode 1) and would love to know if this could be fixed :) Any ideas what could cause it (I really do use the feature of mixing a lot!). Can I help in any way? If anyone spots the fix could you please let me know, really many thanks for everyone's help so far!

jdb

Thu May 31, 2018 6:16 pm

OK that confirms the bug, then. Multi-stream "hardware" mixed playback (actually done on the VPU) is one of the target use-cases for the driver.

The mixing is done at the same stage as the fractional rate conversion - we use an oddball internal samplerate (48828.125Hz) so that we can then use much cheaper integer-factor resampling to produce the 781250Hz samplerate that goes to the PWM controller. The fractional resample stage should seamlessly handle mixing from multiple sources as it's VC4 library code in use across both drivers.

My time is somewhat constrained at the moment but I'll take a look the next time I'm in the vicinity of VC4 firmware.
Rockets are loud.

niwa3836

Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:08 am

Hi jdb,

Many thanks for responding and confirming that it is a bug. The calculations look very complex! This is really important for me for lots of reasons and therefore how much rocket fuel do you need me to supply to help fix this? My project is in your hands! (joking apart is there anything else I need to do to help / be formal etc as needed?). Many thanks for your help so far!

niwa3836

Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:25 pm

Hi jdb et al,

Naturally really keen to follow this and see if / when a fix would become available. Serious question (and sorry if I'm asking a silly question), is there somewhere else I should be watching for any great announcements regarding this? Really keen to use the mode 2 options with all the great enhancements that it provides. Many thanks for your help and advise.

theonlychriss

Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:52 am

Hi jdb et al,

maybe my observations can contribute a bit more:
If the CPU is under fairly/heavy use, i.e. the higher the usage, the more the sound distortion occurs and the quicker the sound (and video application) stops working with a loud "plopp" until a reboot.
By high load, what I've noticed, I mean high computational usage (compiling stuff, image recognition e.g. via "motion" with a RPI-Cam) and/or high network load. It is easily reproducible.
I do not use multiplexed sound, at least not that I'm aware of it. There is only one application using the analog sound output at a time: Either it is Kodi, or a TV frontend, called "VDR".

I already bought a new RPi3 B+, because I thought my "old" RPi3 was slowly dying with this sound phenomenon as a symptom. Observing the very same behavior with the new one drove me crazy, until I finally found this post ...
If I can help anyhow, I'd be glad to support.

Cheers,
Chriss

niwa3836

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi all,
Wasnt sure whether this could / would get fixed by other code or whether jdb is the man who can. Either way just as a quick test today I did apt-get update, apt-get dist-upgrade and also rpi-update (I'm not sure which would normal contain that code) but can confirm the audio in mode 2 still remains sadly broken. I'm working on a large project that absolutely needs this and will have to make a decision soon as to whether to avoid 3B+ (with the need for new linux release) and try and source 3B (or alternative). Any suggests really welcome, hoping this great community can help.

crofter

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:37 pm

hi

3b is ok for audio it is 16 bit using raspian

crofter

niwa3836

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:25 am

Thanks re: 3B. Yes I have got a lot already running that code very happily. The problem is that its quite hard to find circa 6000 to 8000 i need as the 3B is in low supply. Hopefully the Raspberry PI community will be able to help soon.

jdb

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:17 pm

Reported elsehwere: https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2587

There's a bug in the VC4 firmware that results in writes to memory past end-of-buffer limits when you get repeated DMA underruns.
There needs to be quite a lot of VPU activity to trigger this, particularly vector unit contention. The usual immediate symptom is the firmware crashing (audio playback stops, possibly with garbled output), with the possibility of crashing Linux as well.
Rockets are loud.

niwa3836

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:34 am

Hi jdb, as always many thanks for your reply. I've added some notes to the github link that you sent in case it helps anyone else out. Hopefully the issue is becoming more well understood. Let me know if I can do anything, here to help.

jdb

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:17 pm

Can people experiencing issues with stalled playback please try the latest rpi-update firmware?

There is a potential fix for this issue and a fix for the GPU crashing when certain high-stress workloads are used in conjunction with PWM audio.
Rockets are loud.

niwa3836

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:44 am

Hi all, Looks like the following thread show a fix now for this via rpi-update. Thanks to all those that have contributed!
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/issues/2587

jdb

Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:28 am

It looks like tvjon's failing videos are also fixed with this update.

There is however a bit of a limitation with these VPU-heavy codecs (VP8 in particular) - the vector unit is being contended between doing the video decode and the audio resampling, so you get underruns if someone is exclusively using the vector unit for more than 10ms at a time.

This is going to be a bit tricky to work around without adding a lot of latency to the resampling pipe.
Rockets are loud.

theonlychriss

Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:12 am

I can also confirm that the new firmware (via rpi-update) is much more stable than before. At least in my use-case (watching TV via VDR/KODI) it did not crash anymore. Thanks a million to all contributors!
However, the sound is still sluggish - it seems as if it is hitting me what jdb is pointing out.
The codecs used are mpeg2 and h.264, though.
Before the update, h.264-material produced much more sound-distortions than mpeg2. Now it is quite even.

Please keep up the good work and further investigations how this can be fixed ;-)

Thank you so much!
Chriss

Return to “Advanced users”