roshnee_kishore

[SOLVED] Dual camera in CM3

Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:50 pm

I am new to using Raspberry Pi devices. I have a problem with enabling the cameras on the Compute Module 3. When I run 'vcgencmd get_camera' I get the output 'supported=1, detected=1'. The connections are all correct as described in Raspberry Pi documentation.

I think I have downloaded the single blob file when I run sudo wget http://goo.gl/U4t12b -O /boot/dt-blob.bin, because the command outputs supported=1. Hence I think the problem is with the bin file and not the hardware connections.

How could I enable both the cameras? How to download dt-blob-dualcam.dts? A detailed command with explanation would help as I am new to this. I couldn't really understand the tree source files document. I have also checked out viewtopic.php?f=98&t=174347

Am I missing something or did I get anything wrong?

Then I was asked to do the following:

First download the dt-blob-dualcam.dts file.

Next compile it with :
dtc -I dts -O dtb -o dt-blob-dualcam.dtb dt-blob-dualcam.dts

Copy th generated dt-blob-dualcam.dtb file in the /boot/overlays folder:
cp dt-blob-dualcam.dtb /boot/overlays

Last step tell the system to use this device tree file. Edit /boot/config.txt file and add at the end :
dtoverlay=dt-blob-dualcam

**************************************************************************************************************************************************

When I downloaded the dualcam.dts file it got saved as an audio file and when I compiled it using the next command it said no such file or directory.

Please help.
Last edited by roshnee_kishore on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jednorozec

Re: Dual camera in CM3

Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:16 pm

roshnee_kishore wrote:
When I downloaded the dualcam.dts file it got saved as an audio file
What do you mean by that? Did the file name get changed?
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:33 pm

roshnee_kishore wrote:
Then I was asked to do the following:

First download the dt-blob-dualcam.dts file.

Next compile it with :
dtc -I dts -O dtb -o dt-blob-dualcam.dtb dt-blob-dualcam.dts

Copy th generated dt-blob-dualcam.dtb file in the /boot/overlays folder:
cp dt-blob-dualcam.dtb /boot/overlays

Last step tell the system to use this device tree file. Edit /boot/config.txt file and add at the end :
dtoverlay=dt-blob-dualcam
Pardon? I've never seen such instructions as they are wrong. Having reread the thread linked I can't see those instructions.

The instructions at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... -camera.md lay it out pretty clearly.
"wget https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ualcam.dts"
"dtc -I dts -O dtb -o dt-blob-dualcam.dtb dt-blob-dualcam.dts"
"sudo cp dt-blob-dualcam.dtb /boot/dt-blob.bin"
roshnee_kishore wrote:When I downloaded the dualcam.dts file it got saved as an audio file and when I compiled it using the next command it said no such file or directory.
DTS can be used for Digital Theatre Sound, a competitor to Dolby Digital. This is where your operating system is trying to be clever in identifying the file, but is actually getting it totally wrong.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

roshnee_kishore

Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 am

roshnee_kishore wrote:When I downloaded the dualcam.dts file it got saved as an audio file and when I compiled it using the next command it said no such file or directory.
DTS can be used for Digital Theatre Sound, a competitor to Dolby Digital. This is where your operating system is trying to be clever in identifying the file, but is actually getting it totally wrong.
Yeah. However I download it it is getting saved as an audio file. What could be done? I also couldn't find any online help for this.

6by9

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:00 am

roshnee_kishore wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:30 am
Yeah. However I download it it is getting saved as an audio file. What could be done? I also couldn't find any online help for this.
What OS are you downloading it with?
Windows and Linux have default associations between file extensions and applications, and will by default associate .dts with audio. However that doesn't alter the data in the file, just links it to an application if you double click it.

Where have you saved the downloaded file? If you're getting associations messages then it sounds like you're using a web browser to download it, which typically download to a Downloads folder. Have you done a "cd" into the appropriate directory that you saved the file to?

I've already suggested you use

Code: Select all

wget https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/computemodule/dt-blob-dualcam.dts
on the CM to download the file directly to the current directory.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

roshnee_kishore

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:31 am

What OS are you downloading it with?
Windows and Linux have default associations between file extensions and applications, and will by default associate .dts with audio. However that doesn't alter the data in the file, just links it to an application if you double click it.
I am using linux.
Where have you saved the downloaded file? If you're getting associations messages then it sounds like you're using a web browser to download it, which typically download to a Downloads folder. Have you done a "cd" into the appropriate directory that you saved the file to?
I have downloaded it in the boot folder.
I've already suggested you use

Code: Select all

wget https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/computemodule/dt-blob-dualcam.dts
on the CM to download the file directly to the current directory.
Yeah. At first, I wrongly downloaded it directly from the web browser. But after that even when I downloaded using the command above it still gets downloaded as an audio file. But as you said, the contents haven't changed. So I proceeded with the next step and I got the .dtb file with a lot of warnings.

roshnee_kishore

Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:37 am

6by9 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:33 pm

The instructions at https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... -camera.md lay it out pretty clearly.
"wget https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ualcam.dts"
"dtc -I dts -O dtb -o dt-blob-dualcam.dtb dt-blob-dualcam.dts"
"sudo cp dt-blob-dualcam.dtb /boot/dt-blob.bin"
It worked! Thanks alot! :)

Return to “General discussion”