Bosse_B

Jessie->Pixel->Stretch what's the story?

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:12 pm

I have been away on vacation over the summer and previously to that I had updaten a few Pi units to PIXEL and familiarized me a bit.
Now when I go to check for an update to my Pixel install it is no longer there!
Instead there is something named Stretch...

What is the story behind this?
Is Pixel dead?
Are we supposed to now go to Stretch?
And what are the benefits?

Why these rapid changes? Could you not keep Raspbian stable more than half a year?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

DirkS

Re: Jessie->Pixel->Stretch what's the story?

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:17 pm

The two are unrelated...

Pixel has been renamed to Raspbian with Desktop.
Debian / Raspbian Stretch is the successor of Debian / Raspbian Jessie: https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/

Bosse_B

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:29 pm

So Raspbian Pixel == Raspbian Jessie with a Pi foundation desktop == Raspbian with Desktop?

So if I want to get a newer Pixel I should go with "Desktop"?
Or will that bring along Stretch too?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

DirkS

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 pm

IIRC the last Jessie image (from July) was already renamed to 'Desktop'. Image can be found at http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... 017-07-05/
Not 100% sure but I think an update / upgrade from an older version will also bring in the new name (IIRC it's part of the package raspberrypi-ui-mods)

The current Raspbian with Desktop one comes with Stretch.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:59 pm

Bosse_B wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:29 pm
So Raspbian Pixel == Raspbian Jessie with a Pi foundation desktop == Raspbian with Desktop?

So if I want to get a newer Pixel I should go with "Desktop"?
Or will that bring along Stretch too?
Pixel died in June, see: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=186959
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Stretch.

Bosse_B

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:32 pm

OK, so it was all happening during my summer absence...
Now what do I do with my 6+ RPis?
Can I do a dist-upgrade from Pixel to Desktop or will I be bumped to Stretch?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

klricks

Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:13 pm

Bosse_B wrote:
You get the new Stretch only if you also change the source repository.. See instructions in blog : https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

DougieLawson

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:35 am

DirkS wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 pm
IIRC the last Jessie image (from July) was already renamed to 'Desktop'. Image can be found at ...
That's because Google have a number of trademarks on things called "Google Pixel" or "Pixel Google" and I suspect the RPF folks didn't want to get a cease & desist or a lawsuit over the Pixel name.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

Bosse_B

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:15 am

klricks wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:13 pm
Bosse_B wrote:
You get the new Stretch only if you also change the source repository.. See instructions in blog : https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbian-stretch/
I saw in the blog comments that there is some big problem using VNC if one changes the pi password.
Since I always change the default password for safety and I use RealVNC to work on the Pi (they are all headless) this seems to be a showstopper for me...

I guess I have to hold off until one or two update cycles for Stretch has passed.
Bo Berglund
Sweden

klricks

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:30 am

Bosse_B wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:15 am

I saw in the blog comments that there is some big problem using VNC if one changes the pi password.
Since I always change the default password for safety and I use RealVNC to work on the Pi (they are all headless) this seems to be a showstopper for me...

I guess I have to hold off until one or two update cycles for Stretch has passed.
As mentioned in the UPDATES section of the blog post, the VNC problem and several other issues have been fixed after updating.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:45 am

Bosse_B wrote:
Any version of Raspbian to get latest available updates undertake:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
This will not change Raspbian release as mentioned above for that you need to change Sources List.

As noted in the Stretch Blog it is not recommended to update Jessie to Stretch.
adieu

Jehop

Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Re:

""Any version of Raspbian to get latest available updates undertake:

sudo apt-get update
This will not change Raspbian release as mentioned above for that you need to change Sources List.

As noted in the Stretch Blog it is not recommended to update Jessie to Stretch""

I am having similar difficulties with this radical change , and my several PI's are at risk of the failure experienced on a Pixel loaded flashdrive.
After an absence of several weeks from Raspberry Pi activities, I inflicted that very upgrade [shown above], on a USB flash drive, and fortunately before repeating that on the other units, I tried to boot up my old DELL 6400 and my IBM G40 on the upgraded Pixel USB drive.
The flashdrive refused to boot up, and is no longer useful: the "upgrade" disabled the drive, so I am avoiding any further upgrades until I can work out a procedure for installing uniform OS's across all the units, including a brand new RaspiZeroW which is on hold until this is straightened out.
I must be missing something here, because an intensive search through the documentation for the PiZero in Volume 2 of the RaspiPi Projects Book includes no cautionary advice concerning loading of the OS during the settup procedure.
If there is a recently published document explaining the history of, and how to cope with this situation and carry on with projects etc., I would be very happy to download it.
Meantime I will search through all relevant blogs including "Stretch Blog". Thanks

""not recommended to update Jessie to Stretch"" This is the core problem, right?

jehop

fruitoftheloom

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 am

Jehop wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:42 pm
Re:

""Any version of Raspbian to get latest available updates undertake:

sudo apt-get update

As noted in the Stretch Blog it is not recommended to update Jessie to Stretch""

I am having similar difficulties with this radical change , and my several PI's are at risk of the failure experienced on a Pixel loaded flashdrive.
After an absence of several weeks from Raspberry Pi activities, I inflicted that very upgrade [shown above], on a USB flash drive, and fortunately before repeating that on the other units, I tried to boot up my old DELL 6400 and my IBM G40 on the upgraded Pixel USB drive.
The flashdrive refused to boot up, and is no longer useful: the "upgrade" disabled the drive, so I am avoiding any further upgrades until I can work out a procedure for installing uniform OS's across all the units, including a brand new RaspiZeroW which is on hold until this is straightened out.
I must be missing something here, because an intensive search through the documentation for the PiZero in Volume 2 of the RaspiPi Projects Book includes no cautionary advice concerning loading of the OS during the settup procedure.
If there is a recently published document explaining the history of, and how to cope with this situation and carry on with projects etc., I would be very happy to download it.
Meantime I will search through all relevant blogs including "Stretch Blog". Thanks

""not recommended to update Jessie to Stretch"" This is the core problem, right?

jehop

You appear to be mixing ARMHF & x86 in your post. Raspbian is a re-spin of Debian ARMHF whilst x86 is standard Debian

LXDE Desktop was modified and named P.I.X.E.L which was renamed to Raspberry Pi Desktop when it was made available for both Raspbian and x86 Debian

The OP was running Raspbian Jessie with the Pixel Desktop, in June last year the Pixel Desktop was renamed to Raspberry Pi Desktop.

September last year Raspbian Stretch with Raspberry Pi Desktop was released and a recommendation was noted that going from Jessie to Stretch may cause issues and a fresh install was the advisement.

x86 Debian based Operating System went through a name change, originally it was Beta Release of Debian Jessie with the Pixel Desktop:

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/pixel_x86/images/

In June last year x86 Debian Jessie.
was released with Raspberry Pi Desktop.

In November last year x86 Debian Stretch with Raspberry Pi Desktop was released.

http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/rpd_x86/images/

The x86 Debian Jessie to Stretch update was covered in the Blog:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/stretc ... an-update/
adieu

Return to “Raspbian”