buga

Etcher: Invalid archive image

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:29 pm

Hi,

Etcher brings up the following error message: Invalid archive image.

I've tried both NOOBS_lite_v2_4.zip and NOOBS_v2_4_3.zip.

For bothe files the chscksum is correct (checked with 'MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility 2.1').

When I unzip (7-zip) the file I do not get a single .img file but a some directories an many files. So I tried only to use the .zip directly in Etcher

My Sytem: Windows 8.1

Used software:
MD5 & SHA Checksum Utility 2.1
7-Zip
Etcher

Thanks & br,
Alex

DirkS

Re: Etcher: Invalid archive image

Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Noobs does not need an image writer. Simply write the contents of the zip file to the SD card and put in in your Pi.
See e.g. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... n/noobs.md

If you just want to use Raspbian you can download Raspbian with Desktop or Raspbian Lite from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ and then follow https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... /README.md

drgeoff

Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:50 pm

More accurately, Etcher cannot put NOOBS on a card. End of.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

HawaiianPi

Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:29 pm

drgeoff wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:50 pm
More accurately, Etcher cannot put NOOBS on a card. End of.
This ^

Noobs is not a disk image. It is simply a collection of files that are written to a formatted SD card. You use Etcher to write disk images, like those of the Raspbian OS (as well as many others). If all you want is Raspbian, then download the Raspbian image.

NOOBS is basically a middle-man installer designed to make installation easier. Personally I think it fails at that, based on how many posts we get from people asking for help with NOOBS (for which the solution is often, use Etcher and the Raspbian image). NOOBS does have the advantage of a "safe" recovery mode, and it will let you install multiple OS versions on one card, so if you want that it has its place.

I've always used the Raspbian images on my systems. The whole process of downloading and installing NOOBS, just so it can download and install Raspbian, always seemed more complicated to me. You don't even need for format your SD card before writing an image with Etcher.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

buga

Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:23 am

Thanks for the quick help.

Obviously I was not reading carfully enough. Sorry for that!

br,
Alex

PeterRovman

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:05 pm

Someone should re-write the instructions for "Installing Operating System Images". It did not work. As written they imply running Etcher to install NOOBS. I wound up unzipping NOOBS and just dragging all files to the SD card. Then I selected Raspian and selected install. I did not see any instructions on doing that either.
My used RPi came with a broken SD card so this has been a frustrating experience at getting started.
The OS installed and now I get a nice picture of a paved road so I will see where it takes me. things are looking brighter. :D

Return to “Beginners”