glazura

Reinstalling Raspbian

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:09 pm

Hello,

I had a couple of problems with my raspbian distribution and I want to reinstall. My problem is that I am unable to format my sd card.
I've tried using the SD Association's tool, I tried formatting with diskpart, with gparted on linux, even tried writing /dev/zero to the sd using dd, and nothing works. All of these tools tell me that they've successfully formatted the card, however no changes are made. After trying all these tools, I'm still able to boot Raspbian from the sd, like nothing happened. I've read that I could try formatting using a camera, however, I have no camera to try that.

How can I format the card completely in order to install Raspbian again on it?

Thank you in advance

klricks

Re: Reinstalling Raspbian

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:18 pm

If you install the standalone image Rasbian Desktop (not NOOBs) using Etcher or dd then formatting is not required.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

glazura

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:20 pm

klricks wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:18 pm
If you install the standalone image Rasbian Desktop (not NOOBs) using Etcher or dd then formatting is not required.
Yes, but it appears that the sd card's partition table cannot be edited, while the partition contents appear to be editable. If i flash the raspbian image using etcher or dd, do these tools not modify the card's partition table?

RaTTuS

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:41 pm

sounds like your sdcard has gone read only .... get a new one
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

glazura

Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:57 pm

RaTTuS wrote:
That would explain my issues with raspbian in the first place, namely installing stuff that doesn't work or editing things that don't remain edited.
Do you think I could be eligible for warranty or a refund, considering i've altered the sd's partition table?

klricks

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:37 pm

glazura wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:57 pm
RaTTuS wrote:
That would explain my issues with raspbian in the first place, namely installing stuff that doesn't work or editing things that don't remain edited.
Do you think I could be eligible for warranty or a refund, considering i've altered the sd's partition table?
Somewhere I read that some manufactures would not warranty cards used as a OS drive in a computer device.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

davesteele

Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:47 pm

If you use an SD card adapter for your micro SC card, the write-protect toggle may have flipped.

RaTTuS

Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:59 am

ignore the write protect tab - this is not check on raspberries
you just need to get a couple of new sdcards when you get them even from reputable distributors test them with h2testw https://www.heise.de/download/product/h2testw-50539 to prove to you that they are not fake .
dunno about warranty - depends on company , where you are in the world, the manufacturer , the reveller etc.
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Return to “Raspberry Pi OS”