Dom1912

Pi 3 Connectivity Issue (Ethernet/WiFi)

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:11 pm

I am attempting to set up an SSH connection between my pi and desktop as per a tutorial I am following, I have encountered an issue with connecting with the internet via both WiFi and ethernet.

My pi recognises the available WiFi networks and is able to pick up my home router, clicking on the router allows me to enter the relevant password and seemingly lets me connect. As far as I can tell the pi thinks it is connected and, when I check my router settings, I can see that the router has an established connection with the pi. The problem is that, despite the apparent connection, the pi seems unable to receive any data and I cannot access the internet either via browser or the update commands.

Similarly, with an ethernet cable connected my router will recognise the raspberry pi but my pi remains unable to utilise the internet in any fashion.

This is my first time ever dealing with the pi and I'm struggling to troubleshoot this solo, does anyone have any idea why my pi is not accessing the internet?

drgeoff

Re: Pi 3 Connectivity Issue (Ethernet/WiFi)

Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:28 pm

Why is it that the majority of posters who are having trouble when following a tutorial fail don't provide a link to the tutorial? :(

Dom1912

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:14 pm

The tutorial isn't really relevant at my current stage.

- I've flashed Raspbian onto an SD card.
- I've booted the pi with SD inserted.
- I can't connect to the internet.

That's the problem distilled. I haven't modified or altered anything.

My understand is that, with an ethernet cable connected, I should have internet access.

But I do not. What useful information is needed of me for my problem to be diagnosed?

gkaiseril

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Accessing the internet is different than connecting the Pi to a local computer.

If your home network can access the internet through a computer, then you should only have to connect to the local network and start your web browser.

Connecting to another computer requires using additional software on both machines. The most basic is to use the SSH application on the PI and then the Putty program on the computer. You will need to use the IP address.

Remote Access
f u cn rd ths, u cn gt a gd jb n cmptr prgrmmng.

Dom1912

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:50 pm

I am aware it's different, I fear I may have caused some confusion in mentioning my overall goal.

My home network is capable of accessing the internet, the ethernet port and cable that I am using are both fully functional.

I have a fresh install of Raspbian OS on my SD card but cannot load anything in the web browser with wired or wireless internet.

vmax

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:16 pm

Hi guys,
i have exactly the same problem...?!?
My network at home works (cable and WIFI)
My Pi3 coneccts to my network via WIFI or cable, but can only browse google.com.
All other tried websites dont work:
This site can’t be reached

http://wyssenhalten.ch/ is unreachable.
ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE

What could be the problem?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:26 pm

There has been an issue with SSH to the pi recently. We have a workaround, try sudo rpi-update to get it. Does that help?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Dom1912

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:48 pm

It seems as though I've resolved the issue.

I formatted my SD, re-downloaded raspbian, downloaded the suggested un-zipping tool, re-flashed the SD and booted the pi up with ethernet connected.

Went to the web browser and all appears to be working correctly.

I have no idea why it wasn't working on my old install of raspbian.

vmax

Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:05 pm

I have done as said, setup new sdcard image and powered WITH ethernet plugged in. Then ran an update.
It works! Great!
I still don't know why, but it wirks.
Thanks guys!

Martin02

Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:43 pm

I am having the same problem with the Pi-Star image.
Works 'peachy-keen' on WiFi. does not work at all via Ethernet.
I believe this to be "by design". The designer got overzealous trying to make Pi-Star Energy efficient by non-optionally disabling ETH0. This is pure speculation on my part.
I have yet to resolve this issue, so I do not know what to tell you at this point in time.

I suspect that it may be possible to get ETH0 working again by disabling all the firewall settings, but this is unproven. again, speculation on my part.

If you reach the solution before I do, feel free to let me know.

Good luck and Best regards,
Luther KB4LHP

Return to “Troubleshooting”