onurelb

Raspberry Pi Zero W Reboots when inserting a USB Device

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:22 am

Hi all,

I have a raspberry pi zero w, and I can successfully and easily plug my wireless mouse adapter and use it via using a micro usb to usb a type converter.However, when I plug it out and try to insert a external hdd ,it reboots. It may seem as a power consumption problem however when i plug the hdd out too (after reboot) and try to plug my wireless mouse adapter again,it reboots too...

Is this normal, and can I solve it with using powered usb hub?

PeterO

Re: Raspberry Pi Zero W Reboots when inserting a USB Device

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:51 am

Most likely your power supply is not good enough and cannot provide the start up current required my the HDD.
What is the current rating (in Amps) of your PSU ?

PeterO

PS There are lots of threads on this sort of thing already. You might find an answer by googling for "Raspberry Pi USB insert reboot"
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

onurelb

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:56 am

PeterO wrote:
Most likely your power supply is not good enough and cannot provide the start up current required my the HDD.

PeterO

PS There are lots of threads on this sort of thing already. You might find an answer by googling for "Raspberry Pi USB insert reboot"
I did however,most results were about old raspberries so I want to ask for my specific model. I was connecting it via usb hub in my computer, later i changed it to wall plug with 2 amps power source.

PeterO

Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:16 am

onurelb wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:56 am
PeterO wrote:

PeterO

I did however,most results were about old raspberries so I want to ask for my specific model.
OK, but general principles will still apply ... PSU needs to be capable of providing required peak current without dropping the voltage.
I was connecting it via usb hub in my computer, later i changed it to wall plug with 2 amps power source.
Please exactly describe the set up that is causing problems. To be honest I'm not surprised the trying to hot plug a disk drive is causing problems. I boot all my PIs from USB HDDs so the root file system is on them so I never unplug them while running.

Does yor hub have it's own PSU ? Maybe that is the one that can't provide enough current.
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

davidcoton

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:24 am

Can you boot with the HDD connected? There is no limiter for the current from the Pi0 to USB so the start-up current of a HDD may well cause a problem.
Your PC's USB power output may well be inadequate, even if it meets the USB spec.
What is the separate PSU designed for? Can it actually supply 2A and maintain 5V simultaneously? Many USB chargers cannot.
How long and thich is the USB cable from PSU to Pi? It needs to be as short as possible and thick enough to avoid power loss.
Answers given for early model Pis are still valid for the Pi0. The B+, 2B, and 3B models have USB power limiting to avoid crashing the Pi in these circumstances.
Signature retired

dpnkrg

Wed May 08, 2019 7:05 am

I am facing a problem when I am connecting the USB device with type C.

My scenario is, I am using a USB OTG adaptor to connect the USB Type A ports.
1. The USB keyboard/Mouse adaptor works well.
2. Any Android Device with Mirco USB 2.0 also works well.

But when I am connecting the Android Device with USB Type-C connection (Google Pixel 2 XL) phone the Raspberry Pi Zero W reboots.

Note: I had tested this in Raspberry Pi Model 3B and it works well. (Tested with same power adapter).

Any help and suggestions?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed May 08, 2019 8:43 am

Yes, the later models of the PI have active circuitry to avoid voltage dips when connecting an empty capacitor in the USB device over the 5V supply, which the Zero lacks.
This is because such circuitry costs money, and should be incorporated in the USB hub you should be using.

Solution, don't plug USB devices in afterwards, or use a suitably equipped externally powered USB hub.

dpnkrg

Thu May 09, 2019 10:45 am

mahjongg wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:43 am
Yes, the later models of the PI have active circuitry to avoid voltage dips when connecting an empty capacitor in the USB device over the 5V supply, which the Zero lacks.
This is because such circuitry costs money, and should be incorporated in the USB hub you should be using.

The solution, don't plug USB devices in afterward, or use a suitably equipped externally powered USB hub.

mahjongg,

Right now I am using the OTG Cable to connect the USB type A Connection to Raspberry Pi Zero.

My Cable arrangement is like :

Android Device (Google Pixel 2 XL) ----------- <USB Type - C cable> . --------<USB Type A Male> . --------- <USB OTG Female> -------<Micro USB>

Is there anything wrong in this setup?

hippy

Thu May 09, 2019 2:24 pm

dpnkrg wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:45 am
Is there anything wrong in this setup?
There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with that setup per se. Whether the Pi reboots on insertion of USB devices is a different matter.

dpnkrg

Fri May 10, 2019 6:47 am

But it will reboot only when I connect it to USB type C device. Is Raspberry Pi Zero W not supported for USB Type C devices?
Should I need to check with different Raspberry Pi Zero W?

Imperf3kt

Fri May 10, 2019 11:26 am

I came across this problem a while ago myself. It happens even when plugging in something as simple as a mouse.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

hippy

Fri May 10, 2019 11:33 am

dpnkrg wrote:
But it will reboot only when I connect it to USB type C device.
To be honest; it's not exactly clear to me what set-up you have or the circumstances in which the problem you are reporting occurs.
dpnkrg wrote:
Is Raspberry Pi Zero W not supported for USB Type C devices?
No Pi supports USB Type C devices directly but they should support USB Type C devices interfaced through USB 2.0. And that seems to be the case though there seems some conflation of the term "supports" and "reboots occurring" when a device is plugged in.

Reboots can occur on any Pi when a USB device is connected and, from recent reports, that seems more prevalent with recent version of the Pi Zeroes. It doesn't matter what USB type connection is used.
dpnkrg wrote:
Should I need to check with different Raspberry Pi Zero W?
That is probably worthwhile doing.

Return to “Beginners”