YankeeFrank

SD Card partitions unavailable

Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:05 am

I am a noob to the RaspPi and a moderate level Linux noob. So please forgive any ignorance I may expose. I have looked around the forums and google and have not been able to find an answer to this. If it has been answered elsewhere please let me know.

I had a problem with booting from my SD card. I had installed a lot of new packages including mysql and apache using apt-get and then left my Pi for a few days turned on. When I came back it had apparently rebooted into kdb mode due to an inability to boot the disk. I received the error others have encountered in this situation:

"Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel..."

And then the boot to kdb, which I could do nothing with as the keyboard was not functioning.

It appears that in this circumstance its likely the best resolution is a reimage and start over. I am using a solid new power supply that outputs 5.25V/1A, and a Pi-compatible USB hub (handles up to 2Amps) that the keyboard, mouse and usb wifi key are plugged into. So I don't believe I am encountering power issues. I am also using Kingston 8gb SD cards that are also PI compatible.

Anyhow, I am resigned to a full reinstall and am doing so with a second SD card, but was wondering if there is any way I could access the corrupt install on the original SD card. I have installed ext2/3 filesystem support on my MacOSX (10.6.8/SnowLeopard) but it still appears I can only gain access to the boot partition.

What I am wondering is why this is so. The errors I get when I try to mount the S2 partition using the following command:

mount -t fuse-ext2 /dev/disk2s2 ./backup

are:

/System/Library/Filesystems/fuse-ext2.fs/fuse-ext2.util: line 55: /var/log/fuse-ext2_util.log: Permission denied

Anyhow, I would like to access the filesystem as a learning exercise. I am wondering why I should be locked out of anything except the boot partition.

As a secondary issue, it is possible that the Pi lost power during that period when it rebooted so I am not wondering why it rebooted. But I am wondering how to avoid such issues in the future if I encounter another hard reboot or crash.

Thanks for any assistance.

obcd

Re: SD Card partitions unavailable

Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:52 am

These are some thoughts about the corruption issue. I can't help you with the mounting issue. Maybe you will need to fsck the partition first before you will be able to mount it. If the Pi is having difficulties with it, you could expect other machines to have such as well.

YankeeFrank

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:10 am

Thanks for the reply OBCD. I have read the thread you linked to already. It presents some interesting ideas but none that seem to address the issue I am asking about. As regards fsck, I am unable to run that as I do not have another linux machine to run it from as yet. However, I don't believe that is the reason I cannot mount the linux partition on my corrupted SD card. The reason I say this is that I am unable to mount the partition even on the SD card that is working properly on my Pi. It seems to be some sort of security or protection on the linux partition that is locking me out. If there is any way around this I'd love to know.

jojopi

Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:32 am

You should be able to run fsck on the Pi itself, unless the distro image is very old. Boot in safe mode (which needs only the FAT partition) as explained in this thread: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... p?p=129413

Hit enter to get a "#" prompt, and then run:

Code: Select all

e2fsck.static -fy /dev/mmcblk0p2
Even if this does not fix the booting issue, the messages you get from fsck may be useful clues as to what the problem was.

YankeeFrank

Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:42 am

Thanks jojopi, I will try that. Does anyone know why I cannot mount anything but the boot partition on another computer?

pluggy

Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:00 am

Long time since I played with a Mac (Tiger) but from memory I don't think OSX did ext4 partitions....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

Return to “Troubleshooting”