Re: What was your first computer?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:48 am

Report this postQuote
Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:22 pm

RossDv8 wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:05 pm
32 shades of green
I bet you could write a book about that experience ;)
Probably :) In 1986 we were doing signwriting with the thing. Using a colour printer in 15 inch wide fanfold printer paper. Some of our banners were 5 metres long by 15 inches wide, but I recall a few longer. Theoretically it was a proprietary package, and we were supposed t o pay through the nose for every new set of graphics or fonts. But the Yanks didn;t realise that a few of us kangaroos and emus could program.. I was still using the QX-10 for a few jobs around the turn of the century - just for fun, because it was such a beautiful thing to type on. Mainly to print shop window advertising.

Hmmm, I's best stop there or it 'will' be a book...
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

MrShadowCat

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:24 pm

Prometheus wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:12 am
I keep noticing this in most people's introductions, so I figured that I'd make a thread about it here in Off Topic. I've looked through the entire section, and can"t find a pre-existing topic in this vein, so…

What was your first computer?

Mine was a Commodore 64 (the later off-white coloured model), which I got when I was about five or six years old.

Whilst I never really got my head around programming (I don't have the mindset for it – I seem to struggle with learning any sort of second language, for some reason ), I learned several valuable lessons from having a computer of my own, like the need to treat things with care, the value of trying new things, and the very basics of telling a computer what to do from a command-line. The latter is what sometimes causes me to get a bit confused when I encounter people who have a fear of command-lines, as I just can't see what there is to worry about. (I didn"t really deal with GUIs until 1996, when my family got a computer with Windows 95 installed, and I remember all too well how incredibly confusing and unintuitive I found it.)

What was everyone else's?
I know I’m quoting an old post but wow,my first was the C64 and I was 5 too.
Do you/anyone remember playing frak? Kickstart? Monty the mole? ET?
I remember my family and myself going to the bowlers carboot sale in Trafford park (Manchester) a bit late and a lady had a bin bag full of c64 games and gave them to my dad for nothing.
My dad had to do the language and commands for me and I remember once he programmed it using the manual to make gunshot noises-sounded like farting though that was no gun.
please have a bit of patienceI have classic autismandIntellectual disability.🐠

RossDv8

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:16 pm

Does anyone remember GEOS on the C64? That was my first intro to a GUI.
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

thatchunkylad198966

Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:02 pm

A computer I properly used was a laptop for my 18th birthday with 256mb ram and running XP.
My first SBC was a Pi 2.

I'm not that old but I'm not that young.
One man's trash is another man's treasure! :) Pi's I have; Pi Zero, Pi Zero W, Pi 2 x2, Pi 3 x2, Pi 4 4GB x2.

Tikiatybme

Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:23 pm

A commodore 16 I believe, although I had used a DEC PDP 6 via teletype - timesharing with BASIC. We stored programs on punched paper tapes and all output was on a yellow roll of paper. We come a long way baby!
Thomas J Killeen PE
SBME, USA

m4xwhite

Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:40 am

My first computer was a Dell Pentium 2 Machine. I don't remember the model name exactly.

It was actually my older brother's. Belonging to a middle class family in a developing country, that was considered a privilege. lol

I can still hear the dialup sounds in my mind when I try to reminisce those days. I was only 9 years old. Used the dialup to play games on miniclip and used to paint on mspaint when there was no internet.

Those were the days lol

linyinze

Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:34 am

A used DIY PC bought from the repair shop. Runs on Windows 7 and need to unlock the machine as it is still password protected.

Heater

Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:33 pm

Ha!

I once went to the Science Museum in Kensington and was bemused to find a pile of household junk on display including some early 8 bit personal computers. That puzzled me, I was used to visiting there and seeing steam engines and relics from the industrial revolution.

A few seconds later it hit me, I'm so damn old that those common or garden domestic items were now archaeological relics from an era that most museum visitors had never seen!

More disturbingly that we are no longer in a time when things like books, piano's, radio's, washing machines, cameras, etc, etc, would be in the family for 50 years, handed down through a generation or two. Nope everything goes in the land fill and in no time at all nobody knows that whole generations of technology ever happened.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:36 pm

Heater wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:33 pm
Ha!

I once went to the Science Museum in Kensington and was bemused to find a pile of household junk on display including some early 8 bit personal computers. That puzzled me, I was used to visiting there and seeing steam engines and relics from the industrial revolution.

A few seconds later it hit me, I'm so damn old that those common or garden domestic items were now archaeological relics from an era that most museum visitors had never seen!

More disturbingly that we are no longer in a time when things like books, piano's, radio's, washing machines, cameras, etc, etc, would be in the family for 50 years, handed down through a generation or two. Nope everything goes in the land fill and in no time at all nobody knows that whole generations of technology ever happened.
I believe the rule for the Computer History Museum (the one in California) is that they are interested in things that are at least 10 years old. Which means that--by their standards--early Pis will start being "museum pieces" in another 3 years....

Heater

Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:27 pm

You mean the Computer History Museum in Mountain View?

Fantastic place. They have a Cray, they have an Enigma, all kind of significant old stuff.

They have a PDP 1 running SPACEWAR! from 1961.

I was lucky enough to talk to the SPACEWAR! author Steve Russell whilst I was there.

I guess they have to snatch even 10 year old gadgets for the record as technology races ever faster from Chinese factory to land fill.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

W. H. Heydt

Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:12 am

Heater wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:27 pm
You mean the Computer History Museum in Mountain View?

Fantastic place. They have a Cray, they have an Enigma, all kind of significant old stuff.

They have a PDP 1 running SPACEWAR! from 1961.

I was lucky enough to talk to the SPACEWAR! author Steve Russell whilst I was there.

I guess they have to snatch even 10 year old gadgets for the record as technology races ever faster from Chinese factory to land fill.
Yup. That's the place. They also have what I learned to program on: IBM 1620. They had (on loan) a Babbage Engine for several years.

GregoryC

Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:29 pm

It was ZX Spectrum.

Cob

Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:14 pm

VIC 20 > Amstrad CPC 6128 > Amiga 500 > Compaq Pentium 66mhz something-or-other > Started building my own (mostly AMD Athlon based machines)

droid.magikarpi

Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:49 am

Since I'm noob in names and everything relate to electronics, no way that my 6 years old kid or some (low number) years old will archieve so great memory from it.
I rember diving into pinball of the Windows XP.
Then I got more advanced stuff and I was impressed how time flies playing RTS games like Warcraft and Age of Empires. I remember setting a alarm clock to ring in 5 hours and always getting impressed how that machine make it so fast. Sitting on my feets and getting numb was easily that time.
Some months ahead we got internet and WOW that pirate Mu Online server was awesome. Can you imagine your best friend in a casual conversation (as kids) telling what game each other plays and we played the SAME GAME! Newbies to the point of making a 'date' in Davias (the snow city) near the guild guy and after some minutes of the set time, we phoned each other saying that we are not seeing no one. Just a matter of couple days to discover that he was playing the Webzen and mine was a alternative server.
Played for months in 10-14 FPS only with the blue and red color, light green.
Months later I discovered that my video card was pretty nice (128mb) but It needs to be software installed to work that bright-variation of colors and smooth FPS like my friends PC.
And times hidding the CPU with a heavy blanket to turn on the noisy internet dial into a more silenced one to start play throught the night.
Holy times, never was aware.

Not any spec but bytes of story maybe should soma in this off topic.

Return to “Off topic discussion”