DA313

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:21 am

DSCN0001edited.JPG
DSCN0001edited.JPG (192.79 KiB) Viewed 773 times
Mike, you are making my dream a reality. Thanks! (more pics to come when finished)
"From this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety." (Shakespeare, Henry IV)

komarowski

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:09 am

Hello everyone, :D
To begin a big thank you to Mike for your great work! I have a little problem all is well parametrer but when I add mp3 files in the directory folder that I targeted in my chosen skin the file is not added to the launch of fruitbox an idea of ​​the problem? or there is a manupulation to make fruitbox take into account the new mp3 :(

Thank you in advance for the answers !

fruitbox

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:02 pm

komarowski wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:09 am
Hello everyone, :D
To begin a big thank you to Mike for your great work! I have a little problem all is well parametrer but when I add mp3 files in the directory folder that I targeted in my chosen skin the file is not added to the launch of fruitbox an idea of ​​the problem? or there is a manupulation to make fruitbox take into account the new mp3 :(

Thank you in advance for the answers !
Hi

fruitbox doesn't detect changes in your mp3 library so if you add or remove mp3 files you'll need to regenerate the database again from scratch by manually deleting the database file.

The next release will be able to do this automatically.

Cheers
Mike

komarowski

Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:14 pm

Thank you very much Mike for your answer! I solved this little problem yesterday by rereading one of your answers in the forum! Now I block a bit to connect and set buttons ABCDE and 12345 I am really new to raspberry. Do you have a tip or a link to advise me?

Thank you so much !

ginkgopi

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:26 am

Hello,
I'm playing with fruitbox on raspberry zero and found 2 problems:

1. I use DAC PI-DAC zero board, because zero doesn't have sound output. I enabled sound board adding dtoverlay=iqaudio-dacplus to /boot/config.txt, but sound quality is horrible, I can hear a lot of noise inside all music. Does anybody discover same problem? I've used same board on kodi (LibreELEC) without problem. I use raspbian based on debian 10 and latest fruitbox (binary)

2. I connected to raspberry 20" LCD display which consume about 30W power, however raspberry zero only 1W. Is there a way to automatically switch off display after some time of inactivity (button press)? Before I've used Kodi with plugin, that send DPMS signal, so monitor switch to low power mode (about 1W). Does fruitbox support DPMS to switch monitor to low power mode? Or is there another solution?

Thanks a lot for great software.

PcCrazii

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:12 pm

ehrm... i'm having an issue...
i followed the steps on the github page but i can't seem to Point fruitbox to my MP3 files (STEP 7) (edit skins/WallJuke/fruitbox.cfg)--> i'm not allowed to edit it ( i use the pi user and sudo) Any possible causes?

TargetIndy

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:41 pm

First off, I'm new to this board and I want to thank Mike for building a wonderful piece of software. I've found this thread to be exceptionally useful in getting the software up and running--no small feat since this is my first foray into the Raspberry Pi.

My project started out because of a Facebook Marketplace find. I wasn't looking for it, but at $50 I couldn't pass it up.

It's a cabinet for a 1941 Philco radio. The couple who owned it originally planned to turn it into a minibar. Thankfully they never got around to it.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, but eventually an idea formed--a digital jukebox. After tons of internet searching I finally found Fruitbox. What really sold me on Fruitbox was the look of the WallSmall skin. The jukebox it's modeled after was built in the early 1940's making this build kind of period correct.

Woodworking is a hobby of mine, so it didn't take long to for me to get the cabinet refinished.

Now I'm at the point where the software has been installed and tested, the DAC and amplifier are installed, and I'm using an old pair of bookshelf speakers to play music as I mess around with the software.

But now I've hit a snag. I've begun creating MP3 files from my vinyl collection (I'm using Audacity to do it). For some reason Fruitbox doesn't see the files I've created. I've filled out the Metadata information (Artist Name, Track Title, Album Title, Track Number, and Genre) through Audacity's Metadata tool.

Hopefully you guys can help. Is there something in the metadata or file creation that I'm missing? Is there something I need to do in Fruitbox? Fruitbox doesn't have a problem seeing my commercially made MP3's, so I suspect it's something with the file setup.

DA313

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:02 pm

TargetIndy,

You might want to try using Picard (a great meta tag editor). Not sure how well it will recognize non commercial MP3s but it's worth a shot. Use Picard on a regular Linux machine though; RPi isn't powerful enough IMHO.

sudo apt-get install picard

By the way, love your project.
"From this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety." (Shakespeare, Henry IV)

fruitbox

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:50 am

PcCrazii wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:12 pm
ehrm... i'm having an issue...
i followed the steps on the github page but i can't seem to Point fruitbox to my MP3 files (STEP 7) (edit skins/WallJuke/fruitbox.cfg)--> i'm not allowed to edit it ( i use the pi user and sudo) Any possible causes?
Hi

This is a bit strange; maybe try changing the permissions of all the files in the skins directory using...

Code: Select all

sudo chmod -R +rw skins

fruitbox

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:51 am

DA313 wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:02 pm
TargetIndy,

You might want to try using Picard (a great meta tag editor). Not sure how well it will recognize non commercial MP3s but it's worth a shot. Use Picard on a regular Linux machine though; RPi isn't powerful enough IMHO.

sudo apt-get install picard

By the way, love your project.
Hi

I use mp3tag for Windows (and it's free)

fruitbox

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:56 am

TargetIndy wrote:

But now I've hit a snag. I've begun creating MP3 files from my vinyl collection (I'm using Audacity to do it). For some reason Fruitbox doesn't see the files I've created. I've filled out the Metadata information (Artist Name, Track Title, Album Title, Track Number, and Genre) through Audacity's Metadata tool.

Hopefully you guys can help. Is there something in the metadata or file creation that I'm missing? Is there something I need to do in Fruitbox? Fruitbox doesn't have a problem seeing my commercially made MP3's, so I suspect it's something with the file setup.
Hi

If fruitbox isn't seeing your files, then perhaps it's a music path problem rather than an mp3 tag issue. Also don't forget to delete the fruitbox.db file when you change your mp3 files otherwise fruitbox won't pick up the changes (fixed in next release)

Cheers
Mike

TargetIndy

Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:26 am

fruitbox wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:56 am
TargetIndy wrote:
If fruitbox isn't seeing your files, then perhaps it's a music path problem rather than an mp3 tag issue. Also don't forget to delete the fruitbox.db file when you change your mp3 files otherwise fruitbox won't pick up the changes (fixed in next release)

Cheers
Mike
Thanks, Mike. That was indeed my problem.

Gradius2

Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:30 am

First of all... congratulations for this GREAT project !

After looking at the manual, I saw the COIN part is too limited (for us) yet.

I'm looking for something different for that part, as I live on Chile, we normally use COIN & BILLS acceptors here.

For COIN we use: $100 and $500 (chilean pesos)

For BILL we use: $1000, $2000, $5000, $10000 and $20000 (normally for jukebox we use until $10000 bill).

For HW part (the acceptors) I configure them as:

COIN:
1 pulse = $100
5 pulses = $500

BILL:
1 pulse = $1000
2 pulses = $2000
5 pulses = $5000
10 pulses = $10000

As for songs we use:
$300 = 1 credit (or song)
$500 = 2 credits
$1000 = 4 credits
$2000 = 8 credits
$5000 = 20 credits
$10000 = 40 credits

As you can see, 1 coin = 1 credit doesn't works here.

Can I hope this feature to be implemented ? If not, which files should I look into to code them myself? (I can give a try I guess)

Finally, there is any planning to support covers for albums ? People normally don't always recall the songs names, specially here.

Thank you for your great work!

DA313

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:49 am

Mike, it's a dream come true. May do a little button reprogramming but other than that, it's done!
Attachments
PhotoGrid_1565225230544.jpg
PhotoGrid_1565225230544.jpg (249.94 KiB) Viewed 359 times

Tuco

Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:44 pm

Brilliant program and suits my old wooden cabinet.
Quick question. I can get the ogv files to play in the MikeTV skin but this skin doesn't suit the old cabinet I have.
Is this the only skin the ogv play in?

karrika

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:44 am

As the source is available I believe the best thing would be to play video clips full screen using omxplayer and then return to the application if the video is interrupted or it ends.

The MikeTV video does not work full speed on a PiZero but omxplayer does.

So just start coding and make a pull request :)

fruitbox

Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:26 am

Tuco wrote:
Quick question. I can get the ogv files to play in the MikeTV skin but this skin doesn't suit the old cabinet I have.
Hi

MikeTV is currently the only skin which displays video. Have you considered creating your own skin or modifying an existing one? The video is easily displayed using the $VIDEO related status variables. If you look at the fruitbox.cfg file (and associated status box text files) for the MikeTV skin, and also check out the user guide it may start to make more sense ;)

Cheers
Mike

Tuco

Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:40 am

fruitbox wrote:
Tuco wrote:
Hi

MikeTV is currently the only skin which displays video. Have you considered creating your own skin or modifying an existing one? The video is easily displayed using the $VIDEO related status variables. If you look at the fruitbox.cfg file (and associated status box text files) for the MikeTV skin, and also check out the user guide it may start to make more sense ;)

Cheers
Mike
Thanks Mike.
I had a look at fruitbox.cfg before but didn't get the connection to song_video.txt. Get the connection now and I have a video playing in Modern.
Just needs a few 'tweaks' now.

Tuco

Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:48 am

fruitbox wrote:
Tuco wrote:
Hi

Cheers
Mike
Aaaaaaannnnnnnddddddd . . . done!
Attachments
fruitbox.jpg
fruitbox.jpg (153.51 KiB) Viewed 263 times

karrika

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:25 am

Tuco wrote:
Does it also play the disc changing mechanism for ordinary tunes?

I am planning to embed a 10" HDMI monitor in a printed jukebox frame and having video also would be cool.

The print is A2 sized photo on a 5mm styrox plate (€30) plus a EYOYO IPS monitor from ebay ($60) and a numeric USB keypad for control (€7). I should receive these in a week. So far this is just a mockup picture. A jukebox you can hang on your wall when the space is tight.

Tuco

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:29 am

karrika wrote:
Tuco wrote:
I am planning to embed a 10" HDMI monitor in a printed jukebox frame and having video also would be cool.
Yes it does. If you don't want it to then comment out those lines of code.
It puts the record back as well but it takes a loooooong time (about 45 seconds but I've never timed it)

Maybe Mike can advise why and how to rectify that.

fruitbox

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:56 am

Tuco wrote:
karrika wrote:
Tuco wrote:
It puts the record back as well but it takes a loooooong time (about 45 seconds but I've never timed it)

Hi karrika

If you let me know exactly how you want the skin to behave I can create it for you

Cheers
Mike

Tuco

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:02 am

fruitbox wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:56 am
Tuco wrote:
karrika wrote:

Hi karrika

If you let me know exactly how you want the skin to behave I can create it for you

Cheers
Mike
Hi Mike,

Happy with my mods to play video but as mentioned above when the video finishes it 'appears to freeze' for about 45 seconds before the removal of the record happens.
Other question is how is the album art displayed. So far one of my songs displayed album art (only tried a few songs)
Is that to do with the ID tag?

Michael. (Tuco)

SwizzleStyx

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:39 pm

I love the fruitbox jukebox software!. Great job on the design and implementation. I have run into a bit of an issue that may just be me not understanding but I thought I would ask just in case. I have two separate zero delay arcade controllers that I am using for buttons on the jukebox software. I have 23 buttons for A-K, 0-9, and 2 page left/right buttons

Unfortunately, the buttons seem to conflict as the system is seeing each encoder as the same. As in, when I set the buttons using the --config-buttons command, there are buttons that are set using the same code number and causing the program to crash on startup because of duplicate buttons. I'm not sure if this is possible but I was wondering if it would be possible to have the system poll which usb port the device is using and make each button press captured unique based on the usb port so the system doesn't see duplicates. Any advise in the matter would be helpful.

fruitbox

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:02 pm

Tuco wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:02 am

Hi Mike,

Happy with my mods to play video but as mentioned above when the video finishes it 'appears to freeze' for about 45 seconds before the removal of the record happens.
Other question is how is the album art displayed. So far one of my songs displayed album art (only tried a few songs)
Is that to do with the ID tag?

Michael. (Tuco)
Hi Michael

The delay could be caused by a combination of load and unload times as set in the skin config file. If you want to post your mods I could see for myself on my setup.

The album art is actually taken from the Cover Art ID tag data embedded in the MP3 file itself. If it doesn't contain any then fruitbox has different alternatives for displaying images (see the NowPlayingArtworkMode skin config parameter in the user guide).

Cheers
Mike
Last edited by fruitbox on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”