kramg

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:43 pm

rpt007 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:18 pm

Whenever I am in the mood to launch a Spotify session via Volumio (the second OS which I have installed), I like to interrupt normal boot-up sequence and start Volumio accessing either Spotify or my complete NAS music database to have access to all my music. I am close to that right now, but the automation of booting into fruitbox w/o any user interaction is the missing piece yet.
Hi Raimund,

I don't know if you have the whole dual-boot thing sorted out, but, I just noticed that that there is a volumio image available for berryboot. With that as one image and raspian lite as the other you should be away to the races. If you've not used berryboot before it is similar to the NOOBS multiboot but with added functionality. With it you can set a default OS to boot to, but, also interrupt the the boot sequence using a keyboard or, I think, even with an ir remote, to change which OS it will boot to. You can also ssh into the pi and set a temporary default boot OS.

Cheers,

- gustav

P.S. Nice build on your Wurly by the way. I may have some questions for you on it later :-)

kramg

Re: fruitbox Mp3 files

Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:50 pm

shhammer5634 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 11:10 pm
Mine looks like this:

Code: Select all

./fruitbox --cfg /home/pi/Fruitbox/skins/Seeburg3W1/fruitbox.cfg --database /media/pi/MUSIC --music-path /media/pi/MUSIC
Explanation: My Fruitbox is installed in a folder under my home folder: /home/pi/Fruitbox. The skin I'm using is a custom one I designed for my project that looks like the flip pages of a Seeburg wall box from the 1950's. My mount point ...
Hi Steve,

If you're still tracking this forum I'd be interested in your 3W1 skin. For that matter, if you've used a 3W1 carcase I'd be interested in the whole build as I'm hoping to do something similar. Someday!

shhammer5634

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:03 pm

kramg wrote:
shhammer5634 wrote:
Mine looks like this:

./fruitbox --cfg /home/pi/Fruitbox/skins/Seeburg3W1/fruitbox.cfg --database /media/pi/MUSIC --music-path /media/pi/MUSIC
Explanation: My Fruitbox is installed in a folder under my home folder: /home/pi/Fruitbox. The skin I'm using is a custom one I designed for my project that looks like the flip pages of a Seeburg wall box from the 1950's. My mount point ...
Hi Steve,

If you're still tracking this forum I'd be interested in your 3W1 skin. For that matter, if you've used a 3W1 carcase I'd be interested in the whole build as I'm hoping to do something similar. Someday!
I am still monitoring this group. Sadly, I never completed the project. I wasn't satisfied with the screen I picked to replace the flip pages. I did get to the point that I was able to reliably decode the output from the encoder on the 3W1 and use it to make selections in Fruitbox. The decoding and wall box interfacing are done with a Teensy 3.2 and a hand full of parts. The problem I had with the screen was that when I got one that would fit where the flip pages went, the print on the screen was so small it was hard to read. I'd still like to complete it, but I may need to use a different platform to do it. I'll be happy to share anything I have to help out. Just let me know.

Cheers,
Steve

fruitbox

Re: Fruitbox Random playback of songs?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:44 pm

ScotM wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:17 pm
Hey Mike
So I have been using this long enough to notice that the random access of songs is limited so an area of songs both forward and back from wherever it started. I have a large library but found the randomness of song playback is limited. Example. I have most of the beatles songs and if I have it on random it will play random beatle songs for quite awhile unitl it works it way out of their library onto other random songs. Is there anyway to make it a longer random selection to be more broad of a selection.
Thanks
Scot
Hi Scot,

that's interesting ... I've not noticed that before. I just use the C++ STL random function to choose a song, but I'll have a closer look to see if there's anything that can be done.

Cheers,
Mike

kramg

Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:26 am

shhammer5634 wrote:
kramg wrote:
shhammer5634 wrote:
Mine looks like this:

Hi Steve,

I am still monitoring this group. Sadly, I never completed the project. I wasn't satisfied with the screen I picked to replace the flip pages. I did get to the point that I was able to reliably decode the output from the encoder on the 3W1 and use it to make selections in Fruitbox. The decoding and wall box interfacing are done with a Teensy 3.2 and a hand full of parts. The problem I had with the screen was that when I got one that would fit where the flip pages went, the print on the screen was so small it was hard to read. I'd still like to complete it, but I may need to use a different platform to do it. I'll be happy to share anything I have to help out. Just let me know.

Cheers,
Steve
Bummer! What size of screen did you try? I don't have a 3W1 (yet) so I've been working off photographs and memories. Based on comparative scaling I had figured that the title strip holder assembly was about 6"x7" so just over 9" on the diagonal. Not sure what that would be with today's 16:9 ratios but maybe an older unit with a 3:4 ratio might fit. I was thinking of pillaging an old laptop.

For your skin, were you able to get fruit box to use all of the numbers and letters of your wallbox or did you have the teensy map every second letter back to A or B? So far I've only been able to get A1..A10 and B1..B10 repeating when the pages flip instead of A10..A10, B1..B10, C1..C10 etc.

When you say different platform are you thinking of ditching the 3W1 for a different wallbox? It looks like a number of people have had success with the AMI units, including Scott M who posted just a couple of days ago. I have to confess though, I'm partial to the 3W1 as it's the one I remember seeing in my misspent youth :-) If I get my hands on one I may just leave the title strip holder in place and print off strips manually using a headless pi running fruitbox to simulate the main jukebox. I don't anticipate changing the tunes that often - if I want access to my whole collection I can use an alternate player running on the same pi - it's what I was planning on doing anyways.

I appreciate your offer to share what you have, although, I'm thinking I may try to go with a piZero instead of the teensy to feed the pi running fruitbox. In my neck of the woods the Zero is about 1/5 the cost of the teensy. I don't think they allow private messaging any more so will have to think of a way to get your data. Are you on github?

Cheers,

- gustav

shhammer5634

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:57 am

kramg wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:26 am
shhammer5634 wrote:
kramg wrote:

Hi Steve,

Cheers,
Steve
Bummer! What size of screen did you try? I don't have a 3W1 (yet) so I've been working off photographs and memories. Based on comparative scaling I had figured that the title strip holder assembly was about 6"x7" so just over 9" on the diagonal. Not sure what that would be with today's 16:9 ratios but maybe an older unit with a 3:4 ratio might fit. I was thinking of pillaging an old laptop.

For your skin, were you able to get fruit box to use all of the numbers and letters of your wallbox or did you have the teensy map every second letter back to A or B? So far I've only been able to get A1..A10 and B1..B10 repeating when the pages flip instead of A10..A10, B1..B10, C1..C10 etc.

When you say different platform are you thinking of ditching the 3W1 for a different wallbox? It looks like a number of people have had success with the AMI units, including Scott M who posted just a couple of days ago. I have to confess though, I'm partial to the 3W1 as it's the one I remember seeing in my misspent youth :-) If I get my hands on one I may just leave the title strip holder in place and print off strips manually using a headless pi running fruitbox to simulate the main jukebox. I don't anticipate changing the tunes that often - if I want access to my whole collection I can use an alternate player running on the same pi - it's what I was planning on doing anyways.

I appreciate your offer to share what you have, although, I'm thinking I may try to go with a piZero instead of the teensy to feed the pi running fruitbox. In my neck of the woods the Zero is about 1/5 the cost of the teensy. I don't think they allow private messaging any more so will have to think of a way to get your data. Are you on github?

Cheers,

- gustav
Hi Gustav,

If I remember correctly, I was using letters A through D and numbers 1 through 5. The way it worked with the Teensy was that I had the select light wired in to monitor it, and also had the single credit line wired in. If a selection was made that wasn't valid, once the select light went off from the original credits, the Teensy would start adding credits back one at a time until the ones from the invalid selections were used up.

I'm pretty sure the screen I was using was an off size. Like 8 or 9 inches diagonal and 16:9. It was big enough to hold the 10 title strips, but the text ended up being very small and not comfortable to read.

I will tell you that there is some pretty specific timing required to decode the selections from the 3w1 encoder. I spent a month or so researching and writing decoding loops until I got it right. The timings were why I settled on a dedicated interface. I didn't want anything with an operating system interfering with the operation.

I'm not on github that I know of. I probably should be but haven't really had anything to share.

As far as what other platform, there are newer Seeburg wall boxes that use the same rotary encoder that have a wider viewing area that might better accommodate a screen. I'm just not in a position to experiment at the moment.

I don't know what information you'd like. I can give you the code I used for managing the 3w1. It might give you something to work from. The code has a fairly detailed header that describes the encoder wheel and the timings involved. There are also comments scattered throughout that make an attempt to describe what I'm doing.

I could put it in my dropbox and post the link to it and then deactivate the link once you tell me you have it.

Just let me know.

Cheers
Steve

ScotM

fruitbox and 3W1 Vs AMI

Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:22 pm

I have a couple of 3W1's as well. Have not had time to get to those. I used the AMI first because it was the easiest for me to retrofit both monitor and buttons. The issue with all of them as I am sure you know that it uses a Normally Closed contact switching system. Making the selection opens the contact on the switches you choose and the wallbox does its 1950s technology to transmit pulses. Some of the contacts were broken on the AMI so I did not bother trying to use a teensy to decode. I hacked the buttons and made them Normally open contacts and just used a programmable keyboard interface tied into the pi via usb. The 3w1 switching system proved too difficult to retrofit the existing buttons to make them normally open switching. I may just make a bracket that replaces the original switches and just put in some lighted red square buttons in their place. In doing so I can also determine how many and label them for that I would like to use. Forward - Reverse - skip - select plus A-whatever and 1 to whatever. etc.

shhammer5634

Re: fruitbox and 3W1 Vs AMI

Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:41 pm

ScotM wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:22 pm
I have a couple of 3W1's as well. Have not had time to get to those. I used the AMI first because it was the easiest for me to retrofit both monitor and buttons. The issue with all of them as I am sure you know that it uses a Normally Closed contact switching system. Making the selection opens the contact on the switches you choose and the wallbox does its 1950s technology to transmit pulses. Some of the contacts were broken on the AMI so I did not bother trying to use a teensy to decode. I hacked the buttons and made them Normally open contacts and just used a programmable keyboard interface tied into the pi via usb. The 3w1 switching system proved too difficult to retrofit the existing buttons to make them normally open switching. I may just make a bracket that replaces the original switches and just put in some lighted red square buttons in their place. In doing so I can also determine how many and label them for that I would like to use. Forward - Reverse - skip - select plus A-whatever and 1 to whatever. etc.
I can totally understand. Cudos for taking on the AMI. I'd like to find one of those to work with.

I had two purposes in working with the 3W1 the way I did. First, I spent some time actually working on pinball machines, video games, and jukeboxes. My time with Jukeboxes was after they were computerized. I had wanted to learn something about how the more electro-mechanical versions worked just to broaden my knowledgebase. The second purpose was that I wanted to keep the 3W1 as original as possible and do a restoration on it. That meant I needed to come up with some sort of controller, and that fed back into the first purpose. By keeping it as original as possible and at least restoring the electrics to working order, I should at least be able to get back the funds I have invested in it if I would ever decide to part with it. Making it work with Fruitbox was just icing on the cake...

kramg

Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:58 am

shhammer5634 wrote:

Hi Gustav,

If I remember correctly, I was using letters A through D and numbers 1 through 5. The way it worked with the Teensy was that I had the select light wired in to monitor it, and also had the single credit line wired in. If a selection was made that wasn't valid, once the select light went off from the original credits, the Teensy would start adding credits back one at a time until the ones from the invalid selections were used up.

I'm pretty sure the screen I was using was an off size. Like 8 or 9 inches diagonal and 16:9. It was big enough to hold the 10 title strips, but the text ended up being very small and not comfortable to read.

I will tell you that there is some pretty specific timing required to decode the selections from the 3w1 encoder. I spent a month or so researching and writing decoding loops until I got it right. The timings were why I settled on a dedicated interface. I didn't want anything with an operating system interfering with the operation.

I'm not on github that I know of. I probably should be but haven't really had anything to share.

As far as what other platform, there are newer Seeburg wall boxes that use the same rotary encoder that have a wider viewing area that might better accommodate a screen. I'm just not in a position to experiment at the moment.

I don't know what information you'd like. I can give you the code I used for managing the 3w1. It might give you something to work from. The code has a fairly detailed header that describes the encoder wheel and the timings involved. There are also comments scattered throughout that make an attempt to describe what I'm doing.

I could put it in my dropbox and post the link to it and then deactivate the link once you tell me you have it.

Just let me know.

Cheers
Steve
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what to say. Between what you've written here and your exchange with ScotM on wallboxes in general I'm starting to wonder if I might be biting off more than I can chew at present. It would be a lot easier if I had an actual wallbox (rather than just pictures) to look at so I could really see what's involved . I don't want to ask you for your code when there's a good chance that I won't be using it any time soon if ever. On the other hand if I manage to get my hands on one I would also hate re-inventing the wheel, so if you don't mind sharing knowing that it may not get used, I'll take you up on your offer. I will certainly study it whether or not I get the chance to implement it.

What information would I like? I'm thinking the teensy code for sure, along with a diagram or table if you have one showing how you wired the the wallbox to the teensy. I had originally thought it would just be the three wires that connected the wallbox to the receiver, but, it sounds like you also (or instead of) wired in some of the internals? I'm guessing the code will make a lot more sense if I know how it was wired. Finally the skin or at least a screenshot along with the resolution of the display you used - I'm starting to wonder if I'll have the same problems reading the display that you are having - It seems my eyes aren't getting any better these days!.

I'm afraid I don't have any insights to offer in return, but, if I do get myself a 3W1 and I manage to source a screen that fits AND is readable I will definitely pass the particulars back to you (assuming we're both still on this forum).

I've not used dropbox from a link before but if you think that will work go for it.

Cheers,

- gustav

Puffball101961

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:19 am

Hi,
Just wondering how I would map my Coin Acceptor in the Config file. The coin acceptor has 2 output wires which acts like a button, when a coin is inserted, the connection between the 2 wires is bridged.

Thanks In Advance,
Joel :D

fruitbox

Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:14 am

Puffball101961 wrote:
Hi,
Just wondering how I would map my Coin Acceptor in the Config file. The coin acceptor has 2 output wires which acts like a button, when a coin is inserted, the connection between the 2 wires is bridged.

Thanks In Advance,
Hi Joel,

You should just be able to connect it to a GPIO (one pin) and GND (the other pin). Then run fruitbox with the --config-buttons option and insert a coin when it asks you to press a button for one of the coin buttons.

If you already have mapped other buttons before, it may be quicker to edit the fruitbox.btn file and add the line...

ButtonCoin1 = GPIO x
...where 'x' is the number of the GPIO pin you've connected your coin inserted to.

Cheers
Mike

Puffball101961

Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:28 am

fruitbox wrote:
Puffball101961 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks In Advance,

Hi Joel,

You should just be able to connect it to a GPIO (one pin) and GND (the other pin). Then run fruitbox with the --config-buttons option and insert a coin when it asks you to press a button for one of the coin buttons.

If you already have mapped other buttons before, it may be quicker to edit the fruitbox.btn file and add the line...

ButtonCoin1 = GPIO x
...where 'x' is the number of the GPIO pin you've connected your coin inserted to.

Cheers
Mike
Thanks for the help, works like a charm!

Kind Regards,
Joel

shhammer5634

Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:49 pm

kramg wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:58 am
shhammer5634 wrote:

Hi Gustav,

Just let me know.

Cheers
Steve
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what to say. Between what you've written here and your exchange with ScotM on wallboxes in general I'm starting to wonder if I might be biting off more than I can chew at present. It would be a lot easier if I had an actual wallbox (rather than just pictures) to look at so I could really see what's involved . I don't want to ask you for your code when there's a good chance that I won't be using it any time soon if ever. On the other hand if I manage to get my hands on one I would also hate re-inventing the wheel, so if you don't mind sharing knowing that it may not get used, I'll take you up on your offer. I will certainly study it whether or not I get the chance to implement it.

What information would I like? I'm thinking the teensy code for sure, along with a diagram or table if you have one showing how you wired the the wallbox to the teensy. I had originally thought it would just be the three wires that connected the wallbox to the receiver, but, it sounds like you also (or instead of) wired in some of the internals? I'm guessing the code will make a lot more sense if I know how it was wired. Finally the skin or at least a screenshot along with the resolution of the display you used - I'm starting to wonder if I'll have the same problems reading the display that you are having - It seems my eyes aren't getting any better these days!.

I'm afraid I don't have any insights to offer in return, but, if I do get myself a 3W1 and I manage to source a screen that fits AND is readable I will definitely pass the particulars back to you (assuming we're both still on this forum).

I've not used dropbox from a link before but if you think that will work go for it.

Cheers,

- gustav
Hi again Gustav,

I'm more than happy to share, and I'm not looking for anything in return. I'll have to dig out the project because we've moved since the last time I worked on it. I know right where it is. At one time I had a notebook with all my notes and diagrams. I'll have to see if I can find it. I will take pictures of the internals and include them. And I just confirmed that I still have a pdf of a 3W1 service manual. I'll include that too. You'll just have to be patient while I work through all that. I need to revisit it anyway so this is as good a time as any.

Don't let my descriptions scare you off. You can do this any way you see fit. I just didn't want to destroy the intrinsic antique value of the 3W1. That required a little creative thinking on my part since the jukebox and the controller in the jukebox weren't going to be used. You could do as you were thinking of just putting in the title strips. I was also thinking of just leaving the flip pages and title strips in the 3W1 and having an external screen.

Cheers,
Steve

kramg

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:00 pm

shhammer5634 wrote:

Hi again Gustav,

I'm more than happy to share, and I'm not looking for anything in return. I'll have to dig out the project because we've moved since the last time I worked on it. I know right where it is. At one time I had a notebook with all my notes and diagrams. I'll have to see if I can find it. I will take pictures of the internals and include them. And I just confirmed that I still have a pdf of a 3W1 service manual. I'll include that too. You'll just have to be patient while I work through all that. I need to revisit it anyway so this is as good a time as any.

Don't let my descriptions scare you off. You can do this any way you see fit. I just didn't want to destroy the intrinsic antique value of the 3W1. That required a little creative thinking on my part since the jukebox and the controller in the jukebox weren't going to be used. You could do as you were thinking of just putting in the title strips. I was also thinking of just leaving the flip pages and title strips in the 3W1 and having an external screen.

Cheers,
Steve

Awesome! Thanks Steve,

I came across a disassembly video of a 3W1 last night and, in principle at least, it looks much like some of the synchro-servo systems I trained on so many years ago so I'm feeling a lot more confident. I agree with your approach of keeping things as original as possible, and if the right screen could be found to swap in for the title strip holder it would certainly be a near perfect solution.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work. In the meantime I need to complete a few other projects I have on the go and will keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a wallbox in my area.

Cheers,

- gustav

shhammer5634

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:17 pm

kramg wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:00 pm
shhammer5634 wrote:

Hi again Gustav,

Cheers,
Steve

Awesome! Thanks Steve,

I came across a disassembly video of a 3W1 last night and, in principle at least, it looks much like some of the synchro-servo systems I trained on so many years ago so I'm feeling a lot more confident. I agree with your approach of keeping things as original as possible, and if the right screen could be found to swap in for the title strip holder it would certainly be a near perfect solution.

I'm looking forward to seeing your work. In the meantime I need to complete a few other projects I have on the go and will keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on a wallbox in my area.

Cheers,

- gustav
Hi Gustav,

Good news and bad news. The good news is that I did know where I put the project and went right to it. But the notebook that I had all my notes in isn't with it. I found both the 3W1 service manual, and the manual for the receiver that goes in the jukebox. I also found the basic circuit that I used to base my work on. And I took a few pictures. There's a picture of the skin I designed too. I'll share it, I just have to figure out where I put it. I don't delete anything when it comes to software development so I just need to go back and find it. I also put together a brief document that has the circuit diagram in it along with the source info and other basic information. Also the sketch I wrote that is the decoder. It's all zipped up in a folder, and this is the link to the zip file. It will download automatically when you click the link. Let me know when you get it and I'll take it offline.

https://bit.ly/2Fga9Vl

Cheers,
Steve

kramg

Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:36 pm

shhammer5634 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:17 pm

Let me know when you get it and I'll take it offline.

Cheers,
Steve

Got it! Thanks Steve. Looking forward to the skin when you come across it. (I'm pretty much the same - It's a good thing drive space is cheap these days!)

wmoecke

Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:50 pm

bailey0287 wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:41 pm
Just a question regarding skins... I have it running on Pi zero like you had in the video and also have selected 256 split but the Splat skin is running very slowly. It literary took 5 mins for me to be able to exit the software. Any ideas on why this might be?
Hi, I'm having the exact same issue with this exact same skin. I have it running on a Pi 3B overclocked and with 400MB GPU split, but the Splat skin is still running very slowly. Tried lowering a few values in the fruitbox.cfg file I thought would be meaningful (e.g., MoveDelay) but nothing changed. And I'm using a wireless USB gamepad to control the UI (SanWan).

Other skins do not present this issue at all. Even running it directly from a Raspbian console doesn't make it any better. I can see a difference in which running directly from the console (as opposed to launching the skin from ES) sometimes I see tiny time "windows" where the background animation picks up some speed. But it always goes back to slow in no time. I guess the best course of action right now is to not use this skin on a tiny computer such as the Raspberry Pi as it seems this is a highly resource-hungry skin.

Puffball101961

Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:19 am

Puffball101961 wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:28 am
fruitbox wrote:
Puffball101961 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks In Advance,

Hi Joel,

ButtonCoin1 = GPIO x

Cheers
Mike
Thanks for the help, works like a charm!

Kind Regards,
Joel
Now I Have A New Problem.
My coin acceptor is now not sending out a pulse when a coin is inserted. However, when I short the two wires from the GPIO it awards a credit. It also rewards a credit when I switch between N.O(Normally Open) and N.C(Normally Closed) on the coin acceptor. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

rpt007

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Hi Joel,

so you say that fruitbox is working - shorting the relevant GPIO and GND.
That means that the issue is on the coin acceptor's side.

How do you close N.O. /N.C. on the coin acceptor? Is there a microswitch which you can trigger by manually pushing the switch?
If so and then the output is short, there must be something wrong with the coin acceptor's mechanic.

But I am just guessing as I don't have an exact idea how your setup looks like.
Maybe you could show us a little drawing or a picture of your coind acceptor's mechanic, especially the part which is due to trigger fruitbox.

Cheers
Raimund

rpt007

Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:23 pm

Hi Raimund,

I don't know if you have the whole dual-boot thing sorted out, but, I just noticed that that there is a volumio image available for berryboot. With that as one image and raspian lite as the other you should be away to the races. If you've not used berryboot before it is similar to the NOOBS multiboot but with added functionality. With it you can set a default OS to boot to, but, also interrupt the the boot sequence using a keyboard or, I think, even with an ir remote, to change which OS it will boot to. You can also ssh into the pi and set a temporary default boot OS.

Cheers,

- gustav

P.S. Nice build on your Wurly by the way. I may have some questions for you on it later :-)

Hi Gustav,

I dropped the original plan for the time being as the only reason for that was to have an audio playing system with some extras which fruitbox doesn't have (yet) - especially a smart search function for fast finding titles/artists/albums when a special wish from my guests comes up.
Testwise I set up a dual boot system last year, and yes, I used berryboot instead of Noobs. But then I got back to the original fruitbox only setup.

The dual boot resulted in a non-jukebox-like appearance of my Wurly and - besides of the crap mechanics, which I replaced by fruitbox - I wanted to stay as close to the original look and feel as possible.

I think we can expect a major upgrade of fruitbox one day (hopefully soon) including some exciting new features incl. the search function which is essential when your music database comes with several thousand titles.

You are welcome to come back to me with some questions about my Wurly at any time.

Cheers
Raimund

kramg

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:09 pm

rpt007 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:23 pm
Hi Raimund,

Cheers,

- gustav

Hi Gustav,

I dropped the original plan for the time being as the only reason for that was to have an audio playing system with some extras which fruitbox doesn't have (yet) - especially a smart search function for fast finding titles/artists/albums when a special wish from my guests comes up.
Testwise I set up a dual boot system last year, and yes, I used berryboot instead of Noobs. But then I got back to the original fruitbox only setup.

The dual boot resulted in a non-jukebox-like appearance of my Wurly and - besides of the crap mechanics, which I replaced by fruitbox - I wanted to stay as close to the original look and feel as possible.

I think we can expect a major upgrade of fruitbox one day (hopefully soon) including some exciting new features incl. the search function which is essential when your music database comes with several thousand titles.

You are welcome to come back to me with some questions about my Wurly at any time.

Cheers
Raimund
Hi Raimund,

Until fruitbox does everything you want, could you not just run whatever individual applications volumio provides at the same time as fruitbox? Volumio runs headless so the applications should too. The integration might not be as slick as volumio, but, they should work. This would give you the fruitbox look and feel for most things but the added functionality of volumio through your phone when you feel you need it. I do something similar, albeit for different reasons.

Cheers,

- gustav

shhammer5634

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:35 pm

Hi Mike,

Don't know if you're still monitoring the forum or not, but I wanted to say thank you for posting the code for Fruitbox. I finally got ambitious this last weekend and added a feature that I really needed. For you, I'm sure it would only have taken a few minutes. Not being a c++ programmer, it took me all weekend.

My touch screen is not the best in the world. It is in fact an old IBM 4820 point of sale touch screen. And sometimes when selecting a song, it will get selected more than once. Not because of your code, but because the screen is just strange.

Anyway I added a "NoDuplicates" config parameter that when set will prevent a song from being added to the queue if it's already there. This includes the currently playing song. In reality, this is the way old electro-mechanical jukeboxes worked anyway. It didn't matter how many times the song was selected, it only got played once. Then after it had been played it could be selected again. It resulted in free money for the jukebox operators, and the people playing the music didn't know any better.

Thanks for a well written piece of software.

Cheers,
Steve

kramg

Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:45 pm

shhammer5634 wrote:

Anyway I added a "NoDuplicates" config parameter that when set will prevent a song from being added to the queue if it's already there. This includes the currently playing song. In reality, this is the way old electro-mechanical jukeboxes worked anyway. It didn't matter how many times the song was selected, it only got played once. Then after it had been played it could be selected again. It resulted in free money for the jukebox operators, and the people playing the music didn't know any better.
Hi Steve,

That's a feature I'm very interested in as well. Any chance you'd be willing to share the code? If you don't want to open a github account to push it to Mike, I'd be happy to do it on your behalf. I'm still learning how to use github so I'm keen to get some practice. If you're interested you could just zip up the changed files (I'm guessing config.cpp and playqueue.cpp?) and post a link like you did for the 3W1 info you passed on earlier. I have already forked his project so could just create a branch with your changes and send him a pull request. At least I think that's all I would have to do! On the other hand, you may want to try out github yourself - it's pretty neat. Let me know.

Cheers,

- gustav

shhammer5634

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:25 pm

kramg wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:45 pm
shhammer5634 wrote:

Hi Steve,

That's a feature I'm very interested in as well. Any chance you'd be willing to share the code? If you don't want to open a github account to push it to Mike, I'd be happy to do it on your behalf. I'm still learning how to use github so I'm keen to get some practice. If you're interested you could just zip up the changed files (I'm guessing config.cpp and playqueue.cpp?) and post a link like you did for the 3W1 info you passed on earlier. I have already forked his project so could just create a branch with your changes and send him a pull request. At least I think that's all I would have to do! On the other hand, you may want to try out github yourself - it's pretty neat. Let me know.

Cheers,

- gustav
Hi Gustav,

Sure, we can work it the same way. I'll include the changed files. There were 3 or 4. I'll also throw in that skin for the 3W1. I found it. It will probably be the weekend. I'm a service rep and thing are heating up for me at work. (Covering another person's territory besides my own for a month...)

Cheers,
Steve

kramg

Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:45 pm

shhammer5634 wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi Gustav,

Sure, we can work it the same way. I'll include the changed files. There were 3 or 4. I'll also throw in that skin for the 3W1. I found it. It will probably be the weekend. I'm a service rep and thing are heating up for me at work. (Covering another person's territory besides my own for a month...)

Cheers,
Steve
Excellent! Thanks for tracking down the skin as well. I'll be on the road most of Sunday but will grab the file as soon as I am able and let you know so you can take down the link. About the screen you had hoped to use for your 3W1, was it the largest that would fit in the area available for the title strip holder or was it something you had on hand at the time?

Cheers,

- gustav

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”