User avatar
rpt007
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:22 am

Cited from JustBoom description:
Mute/enable with GPIO22 (this can be overridden by using jumper J4)
Did you check if mute is somehow activated?
And: Can you make sure that no GPIO pins are colliding/ in conflict with your whole hardware setup?

If all seems ok (mute enable, no conflicts) and you could boot into desktop (if you use stretch lite - prepare another SD card with desktop enabled operating sytem just for testing purposes) use any raspbian audio player to see if that works. If this test runs ok the chance is high that you will also get it up with fruitbox.

MobileMac
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:57 pm

Hi
OK I checked jumper 4 it is set to un-mute. There are no GPIO pins bent or shorted. I am not using any GPIO pins for anything else only the hat.
All my controls use USB.
I will do some more troubleshooting today and let you know how it goes
thanks
Update!!!
I noticed today while trying to fix the problem.. the clicking sound only comes out of the speakers after fruitbox is loaded.
If I quit fruitbox the clicking stops...
This makes me think I am missing something in the fruitbox configuration.
Any Ideas?
Last edited by MobileMac on Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rpt007
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:45 pm

MobileMac,

did you follow these instructions:
https://www.justboom.co/software/config ... -raspbian/ ?

Someone reported an issue with his Justboom amp and apparently those instructions helped him to get sound.

Good luck
Raimund

MobileMac
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:02 pm

rpt007 wrote: MobileMac,

did you follow these instructions:
https://www.justboom.co/software/config ... -raspbian/ ?

Someone reported an issue with his Justboom amp and apparently those instructions helped him to get sound.

Good luck
Raimund
Yes these are the instructions I followed

User avatar
rpt007
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:19 am

@MobileMac
Could you test the amp with another audio app (e.g. Amarok) successfully?
If not there might be an issue with the HAT itself and you should contact the supplier.

There are JustBoom employee(s) reading here - just open another thread or join an open one with the focus on just your JustBoom problem.

fastfrank
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 am

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukeboxI can launch Fruitbox at startup but the keyboard does not work

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:47 am

I can launch Fruitbox at startup but the keyboard does not work
I am having issue with USB keyboard
Not working within fruitbox
Key board works fine in GUI
Standard config within fruitbox have not edited button cfg
Start fruitbox via ssh terminal boots up fine GUI loads keyboard does not respond at all.
Saw similar post from earlier this year with same issue can’t seem to find if it was resolved.
Setup is as follows
Pi3 b +
Raspian stretch
Pifi dac using hifiberry dac + plus as default audio

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated

User avatar
fruitbox
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukeboxI can launch Fruitbox at startup but the keyboard does not work

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 am

fastfrank wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:47 am
I can launch Fruitbox at startup but the keyboard does not work
I am having issue with USB keyboard
Not working within fruitbox
Key board works fine in GUI
Standard config within fruitbox have not edited button cfg
Start fruitbox via ssh terminal boots up fine GUI loads keyboard does not respond at all.
Saw similar post from earlier this year with same issue can’t seem to find if it was resolved.
Setup is as follows
Pi3 b +
Raspian stretch
Pifi dac using hifiberry dac + plus as default audio

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Hi,

Can you post the contents of the file /proc/bus/input/devices so we can see what's connected please?

Also if you can run evtest and post a couple of key presses that would be useful too.

Just to let you know that I am currently overhauling the input handling for fruitbox to fix other reported issues so maybe this will help. Beta release should be out soon.

Cheers
Mike

User avatar
rpt007
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 am

@fastfrank:

My findings so far with my installation(s) of fruitbox:
a) if you start fruitbox via SSH -> the USB keyboard does NOT work
b) if you start fruitbox via desktop / CLI -> the USB keyboard does NOT work
c) if you start fruitbox with booting directly to CLI -> the keyboard WILL work

To change the boot option:
Assuming you are connected via SSH, just call "sudo raspi-config"
and change the boot option to "console" instead of "desktop" (I prefer "automatic" login).

After that you can manually start fruitbox.
You could also automatically start fruitbox, but keyboard will only work when you really did select the right boot option as indicated above.

Cheers
Raimund

User avatar
rpt007
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:03 am

Additional remarks of a non-linux professional to starting fruitbox:

I configured the test system such that fruitbox is automatically started when booting the system (user = "pi")
When accessing the system via SSH as "pi" the raspberry starts a second instance of fruitbox (running on top of the already running previously automatically started instance. Exiting SSH kills the second instance immediately.
So I added a second superuser ("admin" in my case) to have the chance to modify the configuration remotely on CLI-level.

If you now use the admin account to run raspi-config and change the boot option there - the next start will be as "admin" and in my case failed to automatically start fruitbox (as the automatic start was setup being "pi").

I think all that behaviour is well in the normal behaviour of a standard linux system, but for me it was a pain to find out what was going on here and how to get back to the starting process as it did before.

It would be nice if a knowledgable fruitbox/linux expert could write down a step-by-step instruction how we can
- set up a specific fruitbox user which then runs fruitbox at boot up (preferrably automatic start)
- set up special admin user (or stay with pi super user) to have the chance to remotely configure the system, whenever something goes wrong and you can't access the system locally anymore (e.g. when keyboar isn't responding).

Raimund

fastfrank
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 am

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:41 am

fastfrank wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:47 pm
I can launch Fruitbox at startup but the keyboard does not work
I am having issue with USB keyboard
Not working within fruitbox
Key board works fine in GUI
Standard config within fruitbox have not edited button cfg
Start fruitbox via ssh terminal boots up fine GUI loads keyboard does not respond at all.
Saw similar post from earlier this year with same issue can’t seem to find if it was resolved.
Setup is as follows
Pi3 b +
Raspian stretch
Pifi dac using hifiberry dac + plus as default audio

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Hi,

Can you post the contents of the file /proc/bus/input/devices so we can see what's connected please?

Also if you can run evtest and post a couple of key presses that would be useful too.

Just to let you know that I am currently overhauling the input handling for fruitbox to fix other reported issues so maybe this will help. Beta release should be out soon.

Cheers
Mike



I can certainly post the information you asked for if you can walk me through the process of how to obtain it..
I am a totally new user with this . I just need the commands to run in ssh.
Thanks your help is very much appreciated.
Mike too

fastfrank
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 am

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:08 pm

rpt007 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:37 am
@fastfrank:

My findings so far with my installation(s) of fruitbox:
a) if you start fruitbox via SSH -> the USB keyboard does NOT work
b) if you start fruitbox via desktop / CLI -> the USB keyboard does NOT work
c) if you start fruitbox with booting directly to CLI -> the keyboard WILL work

To change the boot option:
Assuming you are connected via SSH, just call "sudo raspi-config"
and change the boot option to "console" instead of "desktop" (I prefer "automatic" login).

After that you can manually start fruitbox.
You could also automatically start fruitbox, but keyboard will only work when you really did select the right boot option as indicated above.

Cheers
Raimund
Thank you for the help Raimund
You describe different boot methods I am in a slight learning curve related to the programming side of things .
I will be adding auto start next but I am not familiar with the commands for different boot options.

fastfrank
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 am

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukeboxI can launch Fruitbox at startup but the keyboard does not work

Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:58 pm

fruitbox wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 am
fastfrank wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:47 am
I can launch Fruitbox at startup but the keyboard does not work
I am having issue with USB keyboard
Not working within fruitbox
Key board works fine in GUI
Standard config within fruitbox have not edited button cfg
Start fruitbox via ssh terminal boots up fine GUI loads keyboard does not respond at all.
Saw similar post from earlier this year with same issue can’t seem to find if it was resolved.
Setup is as follows
Pi3 b +
Raspian stretch
Pifi dac using hifiberry dac + plus as default audio

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated
Hi,

Can you post the contents of the file /proc/bus/input/devices so we can see what's connected please?

Also if you can run evtest and post a couple of key presses that would be useful too.

Just to let you know that I am currently overhauling the input handling for fruitbox to fix other reported issues so maybe this will help. Beta release should be out soon.

Cheers
Mike
I managed to figure out how to get the information you asked for (patience is key )
please see below
copy of ]/proc/bus/input/devices
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=05fe Product=1010 Version=0100
N: Name="Device USB Device"
P: Phys=usb-3f980000.usb-1.2/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.0/0003:05FE:1010.0001/input/input0
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=sysrq kbd leds event0
B: PROP=0
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=800000 0 e0b0ffdf 1cfffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=1f

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=05fe Product=1010 Version=0100
N: Name="Device USB Device"
P: Phys=usb-3f980000.usb-1.2/input1
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.2/1-1.2:1.1/0003:05FE:1010.0002/input/input1
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd mouse0 event1
B: PROP=0
B: EV=17
B: KEY=1f0000 10000 2020000 3878 d801d001 1e0000 0 0 0
B: REL=103
B: MSC=10

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=3938 Product=1080 Version=0200
N: Name="YK 2.4G Wireless Device"
P: Phys=usb-3f980000.usb-1.3/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3:1.0/0003:3938:1080.0003/input/input2
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd mouse1 event2
B: PROP=0
B: EV=1f
B: KEY=3007f 0 0 0 0 483ffff 17aff32d bf544446 0 0 1f0001 130c13 b17c000 267bfa d941dfed 9e1680 4400 0 10000002
B: REL=1c3
B: ABS=1 0
B: MSC=10

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=3938 Product=1080 Version=0200
N: Name="YK 2.4G Wireless Device"
P: Phys=usb-3f980000.usb-1.3/input1
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/soc/3f980000.usb/usb1/1-1/1-1.3/1-1.3:1.1/0003:3938:1080.0004/input/input3
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=sysrq kbd leds event3
B: PROP=0
B: EV=120013
B: KEY=10000 7 ff800000 7ff febeffdf f3cfffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: MSC=10
B: LED=7

next is copy of evtest with just some random keys pressed in raspian desktop cmd window
All I had attached was a wireless mouse and a wireless mini keyboard

[email protected]:~ $ evtest
No device specified, trying to scan all of /dev/input/event*
Not running as root, no devices may be available.
Available devices:
/dev/input/event0: Device USB Device
/dev/input/event1: Device USB Device
/dev/input/event2: YK 2.4G Wireless Device
/dev/input/event3: YK 2.4G Wireless Device
Select the device event number [0-3]: 0
Input driver version is 1.0.1
Input device ID: bus 0x3 vendor 0x5fe product 0x1010 version 0x100
Input device name: "Device USB Device"
Supported events:
Event type 0 (EV_SYN)
Event type 1 (EV_KEY)
Event code 1 (KEY_ESC)
Event code 2 (KEY_1)
Event code 3 (KEY_2)
Event code 4 (KEY_3)
Event code 5 (KEY_4)
Event code 6 (KEY_5)
Event code 7 (KEY_6)
Event code 8 (KEY_7)
Event code 9 (KEY_8)
Event code 10 (KEY_9)
Event code 11 (KEY_0)
Event code 12 (KEY_MINUS)
Event code 13 (KEY_EQUAL)
Event code 14 (KEY_BACKSPACE)
Event code 15 (KEY_TAB)
Event code 16 (KEY_Q)
Event code 17 (KEY_W)
Event code 18 (KEY_E)
Event code 19 (KEY_R)
Event code 20 (KEY_T)
Event code 21 (KEY_Y)
Event code 22 (KEY_U)
Event code 23 (KEY_I)
Event code 24 (KEY_O)
Event code 25 (KEY_P)
Event code 26 (KEY_LEFTBRACE)
Event code 27 (KEY_RIGHTBRACE)
Event code 28 (KEY_ENTER)
Event code 29 (KEY_LEFTCTRL)
Event code 30 (KEY_A)
Event code 31 (KEY_S)
Event code 32 (KEY_D)
Event code 33 (KEY_F)
Event code 34 (KEY_G)
Event code 35 (KEY_H)
Event code 36 (KEY_J)
Event code 37 (KEY_K)
Event code 38 (KEY_L)
Event code 39 (KEY_SEMICOLON)
Event code 40 (KEY_APOSTROPHE)
Event code 41 (KEY_GRAVE)
Event code 42 (KEY_LEFTSHIFT)
Event code 43 (KEY_BACKSLASH)
Event code 44 (KEY_Z)
Event code 45 (KEY_X)
Event code 46 (KEY_C)
Event code 47 (KEY_V)
Event code 48 (KEY_B)
Event code 49 (KEY_N)
Event code 50 (KEY_M)
Event code 51 (KEY_COMMA)
Event code 52 (KEY_DOT)
Event code 53 (KEY_SLASH)
Event code 54 (KEY_RIGHTSHIFT)
Event code 55 (KEY_KPASTERISK)
Event code 56 (KEY_LEFTALT)
Event code 57 (KEY_SPACE)
Event code 58 (KEY_CAPSLOCK)
Event code 59 (KEY_F1)
Event code 60 (KEY_F2)
Event code 61 (KEY_F3)
Event code 62 (KEY_F4)
Event code 63 (KEY_F5)
Event code 64 (KEY_F6)
Event code 65 (KEY_F7)
Event code 66 (KEY_F8)
Event code 67 (KEY_F9)
Event code 68 (KEY_F10)
Event code 69 (KEY_NUMLOCK)
Event code 70 (KEY_SCROLLLOCK)
Event code 71 (KEY_KP7)
Event code 72 (KEY_KP8)
Event code 73 (KEY_KP9)
Event code 74 (KEY_KPMINUS)
Event code 75 (KEY_KP4)
Event code 76 (KEY_KP5)
Event code 77 (KEY_KP6)
Event code 78 (KEY_KPPLUS)
Event code 79 (KEY_KP1)
Event code 80 (KEY_KP2)
Event code 81 (KEY_KP3)
Event code 82 (KEY_KP0)
Event code 83 (KEY_KPDOT)
Event code 86 (KEY_102ND)
Event code 87 (KEY_F11)
Event code 88 (KEY_F12)
Event code 96 (KEY_KPENTER)
Event code 97 (KEY_RIGHTCTRL)
Event code 98 (KEY_KPSLASH)
Event code 99 (KEY_SYSRQ)
Event code 100 (KEY_RIGHTALT)
Event code 102 (KEY_HOME)
Event code 103 (KEY_UP)
Event code 104 (KEY_PAGEUP)
Event code 105 (KEY_LEFT)
Event code 106 (KEY_RIGHT)
Event code 107 (KEY_END)
Event code 108 (KEY_DOWN)
Event code 109 (KEY_PAGEDOWN)
Event code 110 (KEY_INSERT)
Event code 111 (KEY_DELETE)
Event code 116 (KEY_POWER)
Event code 117 (KEY_KPEQUAL)
Event code 119 (KEY_PAUSE)
Event code 125 (KEY_LEFTMETA)
Event code 126 (KEY_RIGHTMETA)
Event code 127 (KEY_COMPOSE)
Event code 183 (KEY_F13)
Event type 4 (EV_MSC)
Event code 4 (MSC_SCAN)
Event type 17 (EV_LED)
Event code 0 (LED_NUML) state 0
Event code 1 (LED_CAPSL) state 0
Event code 2 (LED_SCROLLL) state 0
Event code 3 (LED_COMPOSE) state 0
Event code 4 (LED_KANA) state 0
Key repeat handling:
Repeat type 20 (EV_REP)
Repeat code 0 (REP_DELAY)
Value 250
Repeat code 1 (REP_PERIOD)
Value 33
Properties:
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)
kkkkkk

kkk
d2
^[[A^[[A^[[A^[[Bqqqklklabcdefghijk
abcdevghhijk][^[[C^[[C^[[D^[[A^[[C^[[B^[^[^[^[OP^[OQ^[OR^[OS^[[15~
^[OP
^[OQ
^[OR
^[OS

I hope this helps diagnose the problem
many thanks for your help and skills.
Let me know if this not what you were looking for
Cheers Mike too
Additionally
I read on another site about a similar issue with just a pi running noobs.
I tried the solution posted using a powered usb hub [ thinking of course it maybe a power draw issue]
7 port powered usb hub did not provide any joy still not able to get the keyboard to function in fruitbox

User avatar
rpt007
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:45 am

@fastfrank:

The keyboard issue has imho nothing to do with powered USB hubs.
Did you test fruitbox with the option to boot directly into command line as I recommended (and as to be read in a very early post here) ?

This is, at least in my given installation, the only way to have a functioning keyboard.
I know that our friend Mike, who has written this wonderful piece of software, is just testing keyboard issues and might come out with a solution including support for mini wireless keyboards' multimedia keys, such as volume, mute etc.

Until the new release is ready and given that then current keyboard issues are solved, I assume that you have to boot directly to command line and start fruitbox manually or have it starting automatically, if you included the starting commands in .bashrc (in the /home/pi directory, when pi is the user who starts fruitbox).
Thank you for the help Raimund
You describe different boot methods I am in a slight learning curve related to the programming side of things .
I will be adding auto start next but I am not familiar with the commands for different boot options.
I am also no expert, just learning by doing.
To change boot option, there are two approaches to change that:
1. if you can boot into desktop, go to "Preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration" -> here you can change some basic configuration of your Raspi including the Boot options
2. if you use SSH, just type "sudo raspi-config" and you see the same menu to change the configuration.

If you have Stretch installed, choose menu item #3, which will allow you to change the boot into either desktop or command line (with or w/o automatic login). Selecting "Console" (=CLI = command line) is the right choice to get your keyboard working with fruitbox.

Maybe https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/blogs/ ... spberry-pi will give you a clearer understanding.

Raimund

fastfrank
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 am

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 am

rpt007 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:45 am
@fastfrank:

The keyboard issue has imho nothing to do with powered USB hubs.
Did you test fruitbox with the option to boot directly into command line as I recommended (and as to be read in a very early post here) ?

This is, at least in my given installation, the only way to have a functioning keyboard.
I know that our friend Mike, who has written this wonderful piece of software, is just testing keyboard issues and might come out with a solution including support for mini wireless keyboards' multimedia keys, such as volume, mute etc.

Until the new release is ready and given that then current keyboard issues are solved, I assume that you have to boot directly to command line and start fruitbox manually or have it starting automatically, if you included the starting commands in .bashrc (in the /home/pi directory, when pi is the user who starts fruitbox).
Thank you for the help Raimund
You describe different boot methods I am in a slight learning curve related to the programming side of things .
I will be adding auto start next but I am not familiar with the commands for different boot options.
I am also no expert, just learning by doing.
To change boot option, there are two approaches to change that:
1. if you can boot into desktop, go to "Preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration" -> here you can change some basic configuration of your Raspi including the Boot options
2. if you use SSH, just type "sudo raspi-config" and you see the same menu to change the configuration.

If you have Stretch installed, choose menu item #3, which will allow you to change the boot into either desktop or command line (with or w/o automatic login). Selecting "Console" (=CLI = command line) is the right choice to get your keyboard working with fruitbox.

Maybe https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/blogs/ ... spberry-pi will give you a clearer understanding.

Raimund
Much appreciated Raimund
I am also in a learning position. I will give this a try today.
Mike has done some great work with this software it is exactly what I needed to get my project completed.
Again thank you for the help I will post my results later

mamer999
Posts: 51
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:56 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi Mike,

I wish you and your family a happy new year.

On my New Year's Eve party, fruitbox with a big toucscreen was again the hit, all guests were thrilled.

But now I still have a problem that I had previously addressed. I have a music collection> 75000 titles and I am often asked: Do you have the title xxx of the artist yyy? Of course, I often can not answer that. In my own jukebox software I had a button "Search". If pressed, a search term could be entered.
Subsequently, the displayed titles were filtered, so only titles shown, whose title or artist contained the search term.

You've provided the source code in the meantime, but I've found that my knowledge of C ++ is not enough. Otherwise I only program with Windows. e.g. VB.NET or C #. I have on the Raspberry
previously worked only with Python. Therefore, I see no way to install myself a search function.

Maybe you can even think about such an extension again.

Cheers

Jürgen

User avatar
rpt007
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:46 pm

Hi Jürgen,

this search function would really be THE "killer feature" of fruitbox. I didn't dare to ask Mike for that as I don't have any idea how complicated that would be to be incorporated. Mightbe fruitbox would have to be modified such that it gets access to a separate database (e.g. sql lite or so). the .db files are pure text, so there might be other, easier solutions which could be directly programmed in C++ or using a ready-made library.

I have tested almost a dozen different music player apps incl. real DJ apps, but I am a longterm fan of WinAmp (which apparently gets a new update soon). This app has by far the best search engine which I have ever seen and used. The speed of presenting results of fragments of any mp3tag of my >130k music files just takes less than a second.

If it is of any help for C++ experts - here is the link to Winamp SDK incl. the search function:
http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/SDK_Contents

So I fully join you with the wish for a strong search function.

Raimund

User avatar
fruitbox
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:35 pm
Location: UK

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:06 pm

Hi Jurgen and Raimund

I will certainly think about adding the search function...i'll take a look at the code and see if it can be integrated neatly.

Cheers
Mike

fastfrank
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 am

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:18 pm

fastfrank wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 am
rpt007 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:45 am
@fastfrank:

The keyboard issue has imho nothing to do with powered USB hubs.
Did you test fruitbox with the option to boot directly into command line as I recommended (and as to be read in a very early post here) ?

This is, at least in my given installation, the only way to have a functioning keyboard.
I know that our friend Mike, who has written this wonderful piece of software, is just testing keyboard issues and might come out with a solution including support for mini wireless keyboards' multimedia keys, such as volume, mute etc.

Until the new release is ready and given that then current keyboard issues are solved, I assume that you have to boot directly to command line and start fruitbox manually or have it starting automatically, if you included the starting commands in .bashrc (in the /home/pi directory, when pi is the user who starts fruitbox).
Thank you for the help Raimund
You describe different boot methods I am in a slight learning curve related to the programming side of things .
I will be adding auto start next but I am not familiar with the commands for different boot options.
I am also no expert, just learning by doing.
To change boot option, there are two approaches to change that:
1. if you can boot into desktop, go to "Preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration" -> here you can change some basic configuration of your Raspi including the Boot options
2. if you use SSH, just type "sudo raspi-config" and you see the same menu to change the configuration.

If you have Stretch installed, choose menu item #3, which will allow you to change the boot into either desktop or command line (with or w/o automatic login). Selecting "Console" (=CLI = command line) is the right choice to get your keyboard working with fruitbox.

Maybe https://www.digikey.com/en/maker/blogs/ ... spberry-pi will give you a clearer understanding.

Raimund
Much appreciated Raimund
I am also in a learning position. I will give this a try today.
Mike has done some great work with this software it is exactly what I needed to get my project completed.
Again thank you for the help I will post my results later
Update
I started from scratch with new image
Installed stretch updated it
Installed the sudo apt-get install libsm-dev libxcursor-dev libxi-dev libxinerama-dev libxrandr-dev libxpm-dev libvorbis-dev libtheora-dev
Dac next using
sudo nano /etc/modules
bcm2708_dmaengine
snd_soc_pcm512x
snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus
snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s

b. edit /boot/config.txt to have:
sudo nano /boot/config.txt
dtparam=i2c_arm=on
dtparam=i2s=on
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus-overlay
dtparam=audio=off

c. edit /etc/asound.conf

sudo nano /etc/asound.conf
pcm.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

ctl.!default {
type hw
card 0
}

Installed fruitbox master and continued with install
Ran fruitbox from command line
Mini keyboard plugged in during whole process.
Fruitbox loaded up keyboard worked
Audio coming from dac is crap scratchy etc. PIFI DAC 2.0
Now to fix the audio and edit the command so it starts automatically. Still not100 % sure how to do that..
Seems like the audio out issue might be a conflict with one of the processes running .
Read in another post about interference coming from USB keyboards creating issues.
Trial and error is always a start.
Thank you again for your help.
Fastfrank

User avatar
rpt007
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am

@fastfrank:

Congratulation; at least you made some progress. Here my 2cents:

1. Audio:
In my opinion you made some unneccessary steps to activate the HifiBerry card.
I have exactly the same card and the only change I made to the freshly setup system (and that is, what HifiBerry tells you in the setup instructions):
Edit /boot/config.txt and just change it in the exact same way I did.
-> see the LAST text lines of my config.txt for comparison:

Code: Select all

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)  
#dtparam=audio=on

# Improve analogue audio output (->raspberrypi.org forum)
audio_pwm_mode=2

# Enable HiFiBerry Dac+ Pro
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus

# Set memory size for graphics
gpu_mem=256
Pls pay attention to the "#" in front of the command line with the default "dtparam=audio=on" -> this deactivates the default audio in the same and imho easier way as you did with "dtparam=audio=off".

All the other modifications for audio, which you made, seem to be contraproductive and should be removed.
My HifiBerry audio with just those small changes to config.txt works perfectly.

2. Automatic start of fruitbox (make sure that the paths to your fruitbox installation, database, music source etc. might be adjusted!):
Assuming that your fruitbox installation is in the home folder of the default "pi user" and the the "pi user" will start fruitbox, then
1. cd /home/pi/
2. sudo nano .bashrc (attention: there is a "." in front of bashrc !!)

add the following lines after the last line of the existing code, that's the one line with just "fi"in the line.
(Pls adjust - if necessary to your given installation (e.g. path, skin)), so it looks like my last lines of the .bashrc:

Code: Select all

cd /home/pi/rpi-fruitbox-master/
./fruitbox --cfg skins/WallSmall/jukebox.cfg
That should do the trick.

Good luck
Raimund


PS: A warning:
The automatic start is perfect, when your fruitbox configuration is finished completely. If you are still in the "construction phase", I recommend, NOT to activate automatic start, unless you set up another user with admin rights which you can use, whenever a modification to your setup is necessary. If you start a putty session with the default pi user and pi is also the user, running fruitbox in the automatic startup of fruitbox, then SSH into pi will start another instance of fruitbox automatically - but you won't have access to the system as such to do some modifications. So the only way to avoid this: add another user (mine is called admin) with superuser rights. Sure, you can stop fruitbox by your keyboard (ESC) and then do the modifications from there, but I also had some trouble to find out, under what conditions my keyboard worked and so I even couldn't stop fruitbox from running --- trapped ... -> Then added the admin user and I am fine in each situation.

fastfrank
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:50 am

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:34 pm

rpt007 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:13 am
@fastfrank:

Congratulation; at least you made some progress. Here my 2cents:

1. Audio:
In my opinion you made some unneccessary steps to activate the HifiBerry card.
I have exactly the same card and the only change I made to the freshly setup system (and that is, what HifiBerry tells you in the setup instructions):
Edit /boot/config.txt and just change it in the exact same way I did.
-> see the LAST text lines of my config.txt for comparison:

Code: Select all

# Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)  
#dtparam=audio=on

# Improve analogue audio output (->raspberrypi.org forum)
audio_pwm_mode=2

# Enable HiFiBerry Dac+ Pro
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus

# Set memory size for graphics
gpu_mem=256
Pls pay attention to the "#" in front of the command line with the default "dtparam=audio=on" -> this deactivates the default audio in the same and imho easier way as you did with "dtparam=audio=off".

All the other modifications for audio, which you made, seem to be contraproductive and should be removed.
My HifiBerry audio with just those small changes to config.txt works perfectly.

2. Automatic start of fruitbox (make sure that the paths to your fruitbox installation, database, music source etc. might be adjusted!):
Assuming that your fruitbox installation is in the home folder of the default "pi user" and the the "pi user" will start fruitbox, then
1. cd /home/pi/
2. sudo nano .bashrc (attention: there is a "." in front of bashrc !!)

add the following lines after the last line of the existing code, that's the one line with just "fi"in the line.
(Pls adjust - if necessary to your given installation (e.g. path, skin)), so it looks like my last lines of the .bashrc:

Code: Select all

cd /home/pi/rpi-fruitbox-master/
./fruitbox --cfg skins/WallSmall/jukebox.cfg
That should do the trick.

Good luck
Raimund


PS: A warning:
The automatic start is perfect, when your fruitbox configuration is finished completely. If you are still in the "construction phase", I recommend, NOT to activate automatic start, unless you set up another user with admin rights which you can use, whenever a modification to your setup is necessary. If you start a putty session with the default pi user and pi is also the user, running fruitbox in the automatic startup of fruitbox, then SSH into pi will start another instance of fruitbox automatically - but you won't have access to the system as such to do some modifications. So the only way to avoid this: add another user (mine is called admin) with superuser rights. Sure, you can stop fruitbox by your keyboard (ESC) and then do the modifications from there, but I also had some trouble to find out, under what conditions my keyboard worked and so I even couldn't stop fruitbox from running --- trapped ... -> Then added the admin user and I am fine in each situation.
I will give your methods a try today and report back.
Again much appreciated

Gavman2000
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:52 pm

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi all,

Being a super noob with the pi, hoping that there maybe an image someone could share where I could just add mp3 files to an SD card or external hard drive?

Many Thanks.

User avatar
rpt007
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:08 pm

Welcome Gavman2000,

to produce an image file requires that you specify first
- what skin
- music location: usb or harddisk
- automatic or manual start of fruitbox
- audio output device
- other required features, which are set in the skin‘s config.txt file

Maybe I forgot some more specifications, but fruitbox in its current state requires at least some basic settings, which have to match your feature wishlist and your hardware setup, like audio jack or a special audio hat.

Raimund

KarDvy1405
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Complete Novice

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:41 pm

I'm totally new to the Raspberry Pi and really like the look of this software on the video's I've seen on YouTube. I've never done any programming before at any level. So i've decided to take the plunge and have bought myself a Pi 3 B+ with 32Gb micro Sd card with the sole intention of running Fruitbox. I've loaded Raspbian Stretch Lite onto the sd card and everything loads up to comand line great. Then this is where the bad things happen. I just don't know where to go from there. I've followed the instructions on github.com but just call me old (47), just can't get the thing running. Help, Help, Help

User avatar
rpt007
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:03 am
Location: Germany

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Hello KarDvy1405 and welcome.

Had same situation a few months ago. I found some good sources to get to know RaspBian and how a linux system is constructed.
I.e. you have to know
  • how to get to your /home,
    how to issue some basic commands
    how to cd to a directory,
    how to list the current directory's content,
    where your music is located,
    how to get music into that folder and
    how to tell fruitbox where to find it (given that you selected a skin etc.).
Helpful sources (RaspBian is a Linux OS, so those information are valid for all Linux tastes):
http://www.informit.com/blogs/blog.aspx ... x-Commands
https://www.guru99.com/must-know-linux-commands.html
viewtopic.php?t=6980
and many more ...

Sometimes a linux system drives you nuts if it insists that you don't have permission etc.
So this is also very important to know what happens here and how to master permissions.

I strongly suggest that - if you are using Windows - you install WinSCP, so you can easily access the pi remotely and you will get a Norton commander" like tool to transfer files from your local system to the RaspBerry Pi, create or edit scripts or configuration files etc. and WinSCP works exactly like Windows explorer with a two-screen setup. WinSCP will assist you a lot, so you don't have to learn so many commands as the software will do that for you, e.g. copy with drag and drop, open an editor by doubleclicking a file etc.

To assist you further:
Pls tell us what steps you made so far and where exactly you need support.

Mike's instructions are really precise, but I understand that sometimes an expert can't step into the shoes of a newbie anymore.
But then it is essential that we get to know where your understanding stopped or what you wanted to do, what you did and how the system responded (instead of what you expected).

BTW: Age is no excuse - I am in my sixities, young man ;-)

Raimund

KarDvy1405
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:16 pm

Re: fruitbox MP3 jukebox

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:31 pm

rpt007 wrote: Hello KarDvy1405 and welcome.

Had same situation a few months ago. I found some good sources to get to know RaspBian and how a linux system is constructed.
I.e. you have to know
  • how to get to your /home,
    how to issue some basic commands
    how to cd to a directory,
    how to list the current directory's content,
    where your music is located,
    how to get music into that folder and
    how to tell fruitbox where to find it (given that you selected a skin etc.).
Helpful sources (RaspBian is a Linux OS, so those information are valid for all Linux tastes):
http://www.informit.com/blogs/blog.aspx ... x-Commands
https://www.guru99.com/must-know-linux-commands.html
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6980
and many more ...

Sometimes a linux system drives you nuts if it insists that you don't have permission etc.
So this is also very important to know what happens here and how to master permissions.

I strongly suggest that - if you are using Windows - you install WinSCP, so you can easily access the pi remotely and you will get a Norton commander" like tool to transfer files from your local system to the RaspBerry Pi, create or edit scripts or configuration files etc. and WinSCP works exactly like Windows explorer with a two-screen setup. WinSCP will assist you a lot, so you don't have to learn so many commands as the software will do that for you, e.g. copy with drag and drop, open an editor by doubleclicking a file etc.

To assist you further:
Pls tell us what steps you made so far and where exactly you need support.

Mike's instructions are really precise, but I understand that sometimes an expert can't step into the shoes of a newbie anymore.
But then it is essential that we get to know where your understanding stopped or what you wanted to do, what you did and how the system responded (instead of what you expected).

BTW: Age is no excuse - I am in my sixities, young man ;-)

Raimund

Hi Raimund,

Finally think I've managed to get the thing working. Used WinSCP to put some mp3's in a file labelled Music (Doh). slowly learning how to change settings on the software. Just need to find out how to add an external harddrive to the system so that it auto mounts it on bootup and how to change the music path as would prefer not to overload the sd card.

Many Thanks
Karl

Return to “Graphics, sound and multimedia”